50 coaches online • Server time: 14:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BooAhl

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2008 - 13:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Luck = skill? There is nothing as Luck, just probability. Make the calculations, then the move and then roll the calculated dice. If the roll is a 1, then you just aren't smart enough for propability calculations.
PorkusMaximus

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2008 - 13:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Well that is probably the most ridiculous thing I have read all day. Although it's only 12:45 so there's still plenty of time to top that.
BooAhl

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2008 - 14:01 Reply with quote Back to top

The point I was trying to make is that you can not outplay an Gigant, both TR, TS and CR, without the element of luck. And if you can not count it as an Gigant killing if there has been luck involved there should be no gigant killings. But if think the gigant killing definition is set before any dice is rolled, before any handicaps are decided. To calculate in what happens in the game is just stupid.

PS. Lets hope it stays the most ridiculus post for the rest of the day. Also Im bored at work right now.
Leniyuhl

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2008 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

BooAhl: I have several issues with your statement. First of all luck does exist even if you do not believe in quantuum mechanics and all that random thingies. Luck is either a: a gainful unusual random occurrance or b: an unknown, gainful and seemingly unlightly turn of events.
Either way luck exists.

And stating that having another definition of a concept than yours is stupid is in my opinion rude and arrogant.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2008 - 01:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Leniyuhl wrote:
First of all luck does exist even if you do not believe in quantuum mechanics and all that random thingies.

In a strict definition of the term luck that is so so very wrong. However I disagree with Boohal for your given reason and much more besides.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Leniyuhl

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2008 - 01:41 Reply with quote Back to top

certainly if you use a definition of a philosopher or a mathematician luck would probably require randomness.
but If ask an ordinary person youd find that most people find the placement of cards in a deck and similar hings as being lucky/unlucky.
Such placement is certainly not random and as such their definition does not require randomness.

EDIT: If you got another response to this, youd better post a pm, dont wanna be going too much off topic.
Snappy_Dresser

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2008 - 02:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I nominate whoever takes out Alibaba

"I hear that shadow is a douchebag"
-Mr Foulscumm
Gromrilram

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2008 - 02:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I wanted to nominate my own team, but than I realised I didn't participate in the Fumbbl Cup...

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2008 - 02:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Leniyuhl wrote:
certainly if you use a definition of a philosopher or a mathematician luck would probably require randomness.

I don't believe that at all (and I've studied my share of philosophy). The important thing surely isn't pure randomness (whatever that even means) but practical unpredictability.

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
FaceKiller

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2008 - 03:42 Reply with quote Back to top

BooAhl wrote:
Luck = skill? There is nothing as Luck, just probability. Make the calculations, then the move and then roll the calculated dice. If the roll is a 1, then you just aren't smart enough for propability calculations.

I've seen (and I'm sure every coach on fumbbl has seen), agi 4 throwers with Sure Hands and no enemy tz's on the ball fumble it on a double 1. Plenty of times.

What about triple skulls, twice in a row? I know coaches who have witnessed it.

If you're a Harvard mathematician genius or extremely skilled in probability physics, guess what.... There will always be snake eyes in the world, there will always be sunshine when it's meant to rain and vice versa, your intelligence wont save you.

Point? Crap happens. Doesn't matter how smart you are or how careful you are, sometimes you roll 1s and skulls. It's called bad luck.

Edit - Watch the language... --j
Pirog

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2008 - 04:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankly, only a really lucky bastard would ever claim that luck doesn't exist.

In Blood Bowl, a game where there is more dice rolls than pretty much any other game I can think of, luck is a major factor. The skill is in trying to minimize the effect of it and to gamble at the right times, but no matter how you twist and turn it Blood Bowl is a game decided a lot by luck.
Alibaba

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2008 - 05:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Snappy_Dresser wrote:

Why me, why not JD? or Whitekillers?
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2008 - 05:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Alibaba wrote:
Snappy_Dresser wrote:

Why me, why not JD? or Whitekillers?

hmmm...

25 games in one day....

from 248/225 to 399/293...

what's not to love?...

its's called "exploiting the system"...and frankly, nobody likes it...except, ironically enough, the coaches who did it....of which, JD and whitekiller are not on that list...

--j

ImageImage
Jokaero

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2008 - 12:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Snappy_Dresser wrote:

Thx for nominating Rolling Eyes
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=2393995
Reisender

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2008 - 19:46 Reply with quote Back to top

we got a new award... eaters are out Smile
 Jump to: