43 coaches online • Server time: 14:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2008 - 19:52 Reply with quote Back to top

FaceKiller wrote:
BooAhl wrote:
Luck = skill? There is nothing as Luck, just probability. Make the calculations, then the move and then roll the calculated dice. If the roll is a 1, then you just aren't smart enough for propability calculations.

I've seen (and I'm sure every coach on fumbbl has seen), agi 4 throwers with Sure Hands and no enemy tz's on the ball fumble it on a double 1. Plenty of times.

What about triple skulls, twice in a row? I know coaches who have witnessed it.

If you're a Harvard mathematician genius or extremely skilled in probability physics, guess what.... There will always be snake eyes in the world, there will always be sunshine when it's meant to rain and vice versa, your intelligence wont save you.

Point? Crap happens. Doesn't matter how smart you are or how careful you are, sometimes you roll 1s and skulls. It's called bad luck.

Edit - Watch the language... --j

A poor coach rolls snakes once and is screwed.
A good coach needs an awful lot of ones to really screw up a game. Due to better positioning, better covering, better field and clock control, better choice of priorities, better course of action.

So, even if luck is a factor, it's not a factor that weights the same for all. The same dice that will screw up royally a CR 150 coach will just be considered slightly annoying for a CR 170 one.

Skill is SO MUCH more important than luck in bb...

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2008 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd still leave Diddy top of the list, Hummies over that Chaos team was more surprising to me than DE with 5 handicaps and a Wizzie over Dorfs.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2008 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
[Skill is SO MUCH more important than luck in bb...

That is, unless you're lucky Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2008 - 19:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
I'd still leave Diddy top of the list, Hummies over that Chaos team was more surprising to me than DE with 5 handicaps and a Wizzie over Dorfs.

im sorry i still dont get the point of a -6ts +3 hc win.... it was good, yes, but that awesome?

this is a weird bandwagon....
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2008 - 19:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Reisender wrote:
Purplegoo wrote:

im sorry i still dont get the point of a -6ts +3 hc win.... it was good, yes, but that awesome?

That's because you never coached humans, you skaven boy!
Very Happy

(that, and the fact that those humans lost Morg in turn 1 first half. So take away a good portion of that TS first Wink )

Last edited by JanMattys on %b %25, %2008 - %20:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2008 - 20:00 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
Reisender wrote:
Purplegoo wrote:

Very Happy

Hehe - it's just my opinion, you're welcome to yours. Wink
Reventlov

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2008 - 22:10 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=2394562

If that's not a Giant Killing I don't know what is...
Pirog

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2008 - 02:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, that is insane Smile
Won against the Eaters AND managed to kill a +ST dwarf. Most impressive!
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2008 - 02:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Pirog wrote:
Wow, that is insane Smile
Won against the Eaters AND managed to kill a +ST dwarf. Most impressive!

To be honest that kill should be credited to the college of wizards. Still a nice giant kill Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2008 - 02:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
So, even if luck is a factor, it's not a factor that weights the same for all. The same dice that will screw up royally a CR 150 coach will just be considered slightly annoying for a CR 170 one.

Not if it's a game deciding dodge or pass for example. It's not like high CR coaches doesn't take chances. From my own experience they often take huge risks, and for some strange reason they often get away with it. I have lost many matches against CR 165+ coaches due to really freaky maneuvers in the last turns, like strings of hard dodges etc. One match that comes to mind was a regular lineorc dodging his way between two of my players without even needing a re-roll to score the winning TD.

There are many very skilled players here, but this insane admiration for high CR coaches is kind of ridiculous in my opinion. CR is overrated as a way to determine skill, because it's easy to manipulate and effected by things that aren't skill rated. Someone playing a lot of matches with halflings would for example have a lot harder to keep a high CR than someone playing a beefed up super team over and over.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2008 - 02:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Someone playing a lot of matches with halflings would for example have a lot harder to keep a high CR than someone playing a beefed up super team over and over.

I agree that it can be manipulated. However it depends more on finding weaknesses of the system than using powerful teams. Halflings are one of the biggest weaknesses of the TS system and as such playing them is a very easy way to over-inflate your CR Smile Goblins would be a better contrast to orcs.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Reisender

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2008 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
Reisender wrote:
Purplegoo wrote:

Very Happy

(that, and the fact that those humans lost Morg in turn 1 first half. So take away a good portion of that TS first Wink )

they did not lose morg 1st turn 1st half....

and with the count AND morg hired, humans lose some of their weaknesses, do they?

and yes. me is da ratboy Very Happy
Grandnico

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2008 - 18:45 Reply with quote Back to top

My woodies vs a big bad full +Stats orcs!!

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=2384775

9 cas on orcs scored last td with only 2 orcs left on the field
Karnstein

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2008 - 18:49 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=2395939
Gatts

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2008 - 19:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Karnstein wrote:
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=2395939

How on earth did that happen, i stopped watching this game when dwarfs had possesion and had just hurt the count. Im going with the undeads for biggest giantkilling so far!
 Jump to: