27 coaches online • Server time: 10:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
If the GLN Was revived, Would You...
Read It And Contribute
22%
 22%  [ 34 ]
Read It
66%
 66%  [ 99 ]
Not Care
5%
 5%  [ 8 ]
Not Read It
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Say Its Not Worth It
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Say I Dont Want You Reviving It
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 149

nin

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2008 - 20:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd voted "read and contribute"... but still not sure about how. I could try to write articles or, if you don't get someone better, translate spanish if needed.
Turbosloth

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2008 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Would be more than happy to contribute to the paper. Also, while I am only fluent in english, I have ALOT of practise (read: 2 years teaching english as a second language in china) in taking english written by speakers of other languages and retouching it into correct english, and would be happy to help out with that as much as my schedule allows.
Jenner

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2008 - 23:24 Reply with quote Back to top

By the way, I'll translate "Scandinavian" => English if need be.
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2008 - 23:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Good luck with this. From my own involvement (issue 5) ... what the GLN needs is someone that's really, really devoted and able to push people loads to actually do what they promised. Cusi was good at that, I wasn't. There's also always been the problem of finding graphics to go along the articles.

You have some expectations to live up to, now Smile.

-Mnemon
Peter_Thorpe

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2008 - 23:42 Reply with quote Back to top

the list of willing names is getting bigger and bigger!

and mnemon, if christer lets me, i am fully ready to take up the mantle Very Happy

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2008 - 00:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I can edit/write something up if needed.

But you made up the reasons to fight
pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2008 - 00:33 Reply with quote Back to top

all hail the new improved thorpe!

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2008 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Pete good luck with getting the GLN going but remember it is a big responsibility.
In recent years GLN production has been sporadic to say the least (no blame to any of the recent editors... every one of them did better than myself and 99% of the other coaches would have in their place) and because of this its a very hard project to resurect though it is a very deserving one.
Are you sure you are aware of what a big task this really is and how uch work is involved with chasing people and puting it together?
Also are you sure you will sustain your own interest and follow through on this? You have quite often said you were turning your back on fumbbl for good in the past. PLEASE don't take this as criticism as it is genuinely not intended in this way (apart from anything else i'm fairly confident that i have quit more times- and possibly more dramaticaly- than you) but i a simply asking are you sure?!?
If you are confident that you can do it then i wish you all the luck in the world as i'm sure everyone else on fumbbl will and i will also offer any help that i can be.

Have you considered getting someone else on board as a joint editor so that there is someone else to share the workload of chasing people? I think this would help you to keep each other focused and interested. It's ust an idea though.

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2008 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:

seconded Very Happy

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2008 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

paulhicks wrote:
pythrr wrote:

seconded Very Happy

the words ive longed to hear Smile

as for your post paul, i understand your....."doubt" in if i will stay on with this idea, and if i understand exactly what im getting myself into in asking this

for my reply? yes im aware that this is a large task to take on, and i am aware that im known for my threats to quit, but considering the words above my reply, that was the old me

the idea of a co-writer is a good one i must admit, and if anyone...id say well known...is willing to help in that, then i would be more than happy to work alongside someone, i have (in my application to christer) said that if he wants to have an approver over myself, im willing to do that, not sure if that would cover the idea, but at least its there

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2008 - 18:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Pete i really do hope you didn't take what i said as doubt. It's not my place at all to doubt you. I do indeed like the new thorpe and if hes here to stay then you may be one of the people who really does have the energy required for this type of project.
In fact i had considerd a while ago aplying for the post myself but i didn't because i do still take breaks from fumbbl so you can hopefully see why the questions were on my mind.

Once again good luck to you. I'll happily write an article if you'd like one Very Happy

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2008 - 18:34 Reply with quote Back to top

i didnt see it as doubt, i couldnt think of no other words though Smile

nah in fairness though ill give it all the energy ive got, youth is a massive asset for me Very Happy

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2008 - 18:49 Reply with quote Back to top

PhrollikK wrote:
Would be excellent! Although doesnt the TNT share the same topics etc.?

True they cover some of the same ground. But the way it is produced is the big difference. TNT is wiki and as such it should be updated all the time and never really finished. Kinda ever expanding. GLN is a magazine and as such come out as a finished product.

I see no reason that fumbbl cant have both in co existence. TNT would not mind if GLN did borrow articles form them.

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
Peter_Thorpe

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2008 - 19:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Qaz wrote:
PhrollikK wrote:
Would be excellent! Although doesnt the TNT share the same topics etc.?

True they cover some of the same ground. But the way it is produced is the big difference. TNT is wiki and as such it should be updated all the time and never really finished. Kinda ever expanding. GLN is a magazine and as such come out as a finished product.

I see no reason that fumbbl cant have both in co existence. TNT would not mind if GLN did borrow articles form them.

a very nice and kind gesture qaz, must be said Smile
though (if christer lets me), ill make sure the GLN is unique, we may borrow article ideas if thats allowed, but make sure they dont detract from how good TNT is already Very Happy

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2008 - 13:57 Reply with quote Back to top

well everythings ready, now its just a case of hoping christer replies the way i (maybe we) want