49 coaches online • Server time: 13:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Getting diced 3 game...goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post 7s for fummbl?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Grod

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2008 - 22:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't typically have dirty players in my teams, and if i do it is usually just 1. However I have been on the receiving end now a couple of times of some pretty succesful fouling. Several opposing coaches I have played have DP on 3-5 linemen, which they use to take out my more expensive players each drive. Even if the opposing DPs are sent off, there are plentiful replacements, and the cost of losing one of my highly skilled players is usually a lot higher than a couple of opposing players being sent off. And when the ref doesn't notice the fouling, my players start to rapidly dissapear...

Not only does losing my players make it difficult to win the match, but often my team will suffer permanent injuries taking many games from which to recover...

So I have a question.

Has anybody got any effective strategies to counter large scale opponent fouling that doesn't involve entering a fouling war?
davo007

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2008 - 22:29 Reply with quote Back to top

There are no direct counters, just dont play them.

BUT

generally the teams with 3+ DP's are bashy teams ith only 2-5 skilled ball players, you could try to smash them up but u would need a few DP's ya self or some luck.
Melmoth

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2008 - 22:30 Reply with quote Back to top

davo007 wrote:
just dont play them.

BOO!!!!!!!
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2008 - 22:34 Reply with quote Back to top

positioning is the key there, when your opponent can gang up on your important positionals you have placed them wrong.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2008 - 22:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't foul back

Keep your higher skilled players safe, so they can only foul low SPP players

Concentrate on the ball, which in turn will make them concentrate less on fouling
Kinks

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2008 - 22:43 Reply with quote Back to top

davo007 wrote:
There are no direct counters

Just wrong

Rijssiej wrote:
positioning is the key there, when your opponent can gang up on your important positionals you have placed them wrong.

Yep Smile

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2008 - 23:04 Reply with quote Back to top

positioning is the key if you are lucky....

if you lose players quickly, there is no "positioning" with the rest...
RC

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2008 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Dude , it doesnt matter, the Khemri coach will dodge his skellies without dps into tzs to foul your players and due to dumb luck he will rip them and then laugh at you when you cant even stun a mumie with 6 ass.

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2008 - 23:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Dont get knocked down, try and use your str5 and str6 players to keep them on the ground at all times and use superior blocking skills to remove their ability to foul.

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2008 - 23:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Fouling is a pretty obvious strategy - you will see it coming. Now depending on your own team there are several ways to react.

You are bashy:
Bunch up and hurt them back. Have 2 DPs yourself and lay the hurt on his keyplayers. Foul him only if a good target is available. Example: You play vs khemri/undead. If you can foul a mummy, do it. If you can`t get one down with multiple assists, don`t and keep the eye on him. Tie up his players - the more the better. In order to be fouled successfully, you opponent needs assists. If he can`t get those, he either won`t foul (good for you) or he will foul with 1-2 assists (in which case ejection is by far more likely than a cas-result). Stall. He will get ejections - that means he won`t get field advantage even if he removes one of your players. When you stall, he won`t get to 'reload' his fielded team with fresh DPs from the bench.

In short: Tie them up. If you can gang up on a valuable target, strike back. Else keep the valuables secure and stall, so he can`t reload his DPs, once ejections start rolling in.

You are fast/agile:
Play no-contact while positioning your players, that it`s very hard for him to dislodge one from your formation to get an efficient foul. Don`t foul back. If you see a chance going after his ball, take it, but don`t send in players alone.. put them in groups that can help each other out. Again cover keyplayers, that can bust a cage for example. Skills like Dodge and Sidestep are your friend. Make him choose between good coverage of his ball and bringing in assists for fouls. If he chooses the coverage for the ball, stay focussed on it - it`ll take hurt away from your players. If he gangs up, take away his ball and stall to win. Chalk him down as an easy win in tourneys and just not playworthy in open play (unless you want easy wins). You might try to spread out more than usual, splitting your team in 2 groups. Either he focusses on one to take down, than the other can really put the pressure on his ball, or he covers both and his only few assists.

If you have won the game (leading by 2 TDs with only 4 turns to go e.g), just do a rapid switch to team preservation. Bunch them, keep moving, so you can`t be surrounded that easily, minimize contact. If you are faster, run where only a fraction of his team can reach you.

In the end, playing against heavy fouler helps you to develop the knowledge, when to put a player on the line for what goals. If you have an agenda and place your players accordingly even a successful gang foul won`t hurt, because your gain is worth more than the lost player. On the other hand, if you play indecicive and wait for an opportunity instead of creating one, you will get picked off one by one.

Hope that helps. Take this secret knowledge and use it well.. and honor the many pixel-lives that ended in order for me to gain these insights.
StanRichardson

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2008 - 23:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Play Paul Hicks and u will learn .......quickily

CircularLogic is bang on with his teachings

Only thing i would add is play as ur enemy, get ur self a foul heavy team and see what happens.

Know ur enemy...then smash him to the ground and bring in ur dps
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2008 - 08:35 Reply with quote Back to top

davo007 wrote:
There are no direct counters, just dont play them.

BUT

generally the teams with 3+ DP's are bashy teams ith only 2-5 skilled ball players, you could try to smash them up but u would need a few DP's ya self or some luck.

rule #1....don't listen to this guy....

the best foulers are elves, for obvious reasons, and any self-respecting elf team has multiple DPs, especially if they want to compete against all races across the board....

as has been said before, the key is positioning....lining up your players to ensure that if one gets taken down, the amount of assists possible is minimal...

keep playing against foulers, and look at where your guys are when they're being fouled, and what you could have done the prior turn to lessen the impact....

it'll take a little bit of time to get it, but you'll start seeing it eventually, and you can start reacting to it appropriately...

--j

ImageImage
propuppetmaster

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2008 - 08:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Piling On
odi

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2008 - 09:31 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:

the best foulers are elves, for obvious reasons, and any self-respecting elf team has multiple DPs, especially if they want to compete against all races across the board....

--j

I'd have to agree with you here. Let's just say the lower my team's AV is, the more DPs they usually have. AG teams get a lot more "kick" from a DP, than a basher team that will cause casualties by just throwing around blocks.
Russo

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2008 - 09:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I would also add that by pressurising the ball you can also reduce the risk of your opponant fouling.

Often by having a catcher etc deep in his own half and the ball being threatened usually makes a heavy fouler think twice as he or she will be suddenly worried about conceding.

[21:35] <@Purp|away> why is it whenever I come to check the PC, Russo is lowering the tone?! Razz
================================
[22:59] <princevaliant> NBL has gotten to be such a dirty channel
[22:59] <princevaliant> ty Russo Very Happy

BiggieB is my idol
 Jump to: