30 coaches online • Server time: 09:31
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2008 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Peter_Thorpe wrote:
i would say to implement a thing where your team cannot play the same race two games in a row, or somthing along those lines
at least then they'd be varity and you might no go bash-bash-bash-bash with an elf style team

You would just go khemri/orc/dorfs/undead/khemri/orc/dorfs/undead in circles.
I`m thinking about ways to enhance racial diversity. If you devise a rule that you can`t play bashy more than twice in a row, you`ll run into another problem: If 90% of the teams fall into the bashy category, then 70%-80% can`t be matched, as they would result in permanently bash-on-bash-matches.
Tinkywinky

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2008 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

In the Swedish league we have put all races in three categories (bash, hybrid, ball) and instituted a rule that says that there can never be more than 40% of any type, or rather: when there is 40% or more of a certain type no more teams of that kind is let in.

Then again if so many people want to play bash teams you can just let them. Also people are allowed to have more than one team in the B division so our system won't work.

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2008 - 15:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Or, Elves could just set themselves out to play unprepared bashers, by getting lots of blodgers, or even hiring a wizard each game before activating for a match up.

Worst case scenario they have a bad game and drop to 87 TS, where they would meet Vampires or Stunties Razz
Sinner

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2008 - 15:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I can see where this is going...

<whinemode>Ohhhh, too many bashers.... boohoo</whinemode>

Why restrict it. I will go (no time so far) to [B] because I love the challenge to play every race and try to win. Period. If you do not like to play any team that gets chosen, go pick your games in ranked.

As far as I understood [B] will be for non-picking brave coaches playing the game as it was meant to be.

(edited for spelling)

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2008 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:
Or, Elves could just set themselves out to play unprepared bashers, by getting lots of blodgers, or even hiring a wizard each game before activating for a match up.

Worst case scenario they have a bad game and drop to 87 TS, where they would meet Vampires or Stunties Razz

You are quite right.

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2008 - 16:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Sinner wrote:

Why restrict it. I will go (no time so far) to [B] because I love the challenge to play every race and try to win. Period. If you do not like to play any team that gets chosen, go pick your games in ranked.

As far as I understood [B] will be for non-picking brave coaches playing the game as it was meant to be.

(edited for spelling)

This is true if the goal of every coach is trying to win every game. If there are coaches that take damage to the opponent over playing to win things go astray. [B] offers the ideal playground for the 'Kill over Win' type, as it removes one of the major problem such a coach is facing: That noone wants to play them outside of a tourney.
Stonetroll

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2008 - 16:07 Reply with quote Back to top

As it was already said before, for me the most outstanding thing about the first games in blackbox was the good sportmanship and humour of every game. Everyone who entered expected the tough game and didn't complain about injuries or my completely unreal luck. This really seems like THE division as soon as it gets finished.

My team is still the biggest so I will be a filthy cherrypicker a while longer, but I think it has also helped to define the pairing formulas. One thing I thought of is that the bordering could be scaled to the team size, a 20TS difference is big against a new team but with 200+TR teams it isn't as much. Of course I don't know the formulas, but this is just my 2 cents worth.
Sinner

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2008 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
Sinner wrote:

(edited for spelling)

This is true if the goal of every coach is trying to win every game. If there are coaches that take damage to the opponent over playing to win things go astray. [B] offers the ideal playground for the 'Kill over Win' type, as it removes one of the major problem such a coach is facing: That noone wants to play them outside of a tourney.

You are right (omg... ;-D)
But a announced there will be something like CR (or better) which will be probably include a team reward which will make hurt teams focus on winning... We will see how it develops.

I will then just speak for myself by saying that I welcome the cahllenge to show hurt teams how to play this game Smile

Already made some DE... and humans

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2008 - 16:46 Reply with quote Back to top

FUN

I played just one, my Skaven vs Humans. I supose that from now on it'll be Dwarves... and I don't mind it at all.
I can't commit mishelf to scheduled games in [L]eague, so this seems like the best solution for me (I don't like [R]anked as it's).

Something that would be great, if the divB works, would be that teams in BB were allowed to get into official tournaments... or at least that there were some of those just for BB.
An XFL-BB could help with the "variety of races" thing.

...but for now it's just amazing.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2008 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Sinner wrote:
But a announced there will be something like CR (or better) which will be probably include a team reward which will make hurt teams focus on winning... We will see how it develops.

I will then just speak for myself by saying that I welcome the cahllenge to show hurt teams how to play this game Smile

I have no clue what the bolded part of your post should mean. What measure will make someone who doesn`t care about winning games focus on winning?
SillySod

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2008 - 17:08 Reply with quote Back to top

It would be cool if blackbox rating was done by race.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Fallen00

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2008 - 08:17 Reply with quote Back to top

well this is my first post -- and im glad it is in the blackbox division.. because blackbox rules!

I have to say im enjoying the blackbox environment a LOT more than ranked, its very nice not to worry about finding a game. Blackbox rules!

plus im beating coaches I would have never played in ranked! Blackbox rules!

blackbox forever! I kind of wish you ported this idea to other games(strategies game come to mind) that needs matchmaking. Having set hours for matches is awesome. Blackbox rules!

congratulations to all of you that thought about all of this. blackbox rules!

and remember kids, Blackbox rules
Sinner

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2008 - 09:04 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
Sinner wrote:

I have no clue what the bolded part of your post should mean. What measure will make someone who doesn`t care about winning games focus on winning?

If the winner of some sort of comtest that will run over a certain amount of time will receive team money or players or e.g. a pick on the opponent table then probably coaches will switch to playing to win.

On the other hand they maybe will not.

But then in the long run kill teams will eventually kill each other off... with a 0-0 draw of course.

Seriously I can't forecast what the division will run into, but time will tell. It is alpha status and not final so we can expect some alterations in the near future.

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2008 - 09:08 Reply with quote Back to top

played two games...did not have to wait....How great is that---All thumbs up christer;-) Cheers
Khaan

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2008 - 09:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Had very good fun yesterday playing my brand new woodies vs some khemri. First block = dead woodie lino, followed by a foul BH on my treeman. It went downhill from there. ;(

I'll be back with more woodies though. I suck at em but I'll be damned if i give up.

The Boyz
 Jump to: