16 coaches online • Server time: 06:22
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Pact/Renegades metagoto Post killing by fun?goto Post Raising a Thrall wit...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
skeletor

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2008 - 09:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Sinner wrote:

Why restrict it. I will go (no time so far) to [B] because I love the challenge to play every race and try to win. Period. If you do not like to play any team that gets chosen, go pick your games in ranked.

Thats just my point Sinner.
I wanna get fouled by the undead, i wanna get outruned by the skaven, i wanna screem when i canĀ“t get them amazons down, i wanna bite my nails when them damm Vampieres gaze my cage, and im looking forward too get outbashed by Khemri, but most of all im looking forward too win against all of them.

Its not "whine there is too many bashers" but more like "too littel racial diversity in the games" its just not the same if you have too play the same race 90% of the times, if it wass all elf that wout be just as bad.
odi

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2008 - 09:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I would think that since if there are a lot of bashers around, the AG teams would actually have a good chance of winning, since the bashers wont have that much tackle etc, since they will be bashing other bashers most of the time. Ofcourse you wouldnt expect to see your fragile low AV teams getting to TR200 as easily as in R. But you could actually have a decent record for a low AV team. Time will tell.
Quizard

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2008 - 10:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I also would like to see a mechanism that prevents a team from getting assigned the same opposing race twice in a row. Just because it's the same race twice in a row and i think its simply more fun to play two diffrent races in two diffrent games. At the same time i think it would be perfectly ok to play the same coach without any restrictions at all, but then again maybe i am not creative enough to think about how this could be abused.
skeletor

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2008 - 10:51 Reply with quote Back to top

If you are just given a random team and have to play random races wout be great fun, and just another challenge in B. I wout love to see Paulhiks play Woodelf Very Happy Very Happy
Sinner

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2008 - 11:17 Reply with quote Back to top

skeletor wrote:
If you are just given a random team and have to play random races wout be great fun, and just another challenge in B. I wout love to see Paulhiks play Woodelf Very Happy Very Happy

Now that would not work just now, because you can only play your own teams...(fumbbl login)

BUT this is an awesome idea! Play a tournament with a random team. Or with a random team each match!
Openend a thread for Suggestions (Link removed due to not going to happen)

edited for Link removal

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2008 - 12:21 Reply with quote Back to top

So far, my thoughts:

Definitely superior to R. B allows me to not care about who I'm playing or what I'm up against until I hit the pitch. Matchmaking in R is stressful with worrying about 'is this a winnable game? is this person trying to cherry-pick me?', etc, etc, and with B, I end up basically not having to worry about - and sometimes finding out AFTERWARDS that that's a game I would have dodged in R! ("Oh god, that guy was 177 CR!")

So far racial diversity hasn't been a problem. The six games I've seen have put me up against:

Norse
Khemri
Ogre
Wood Elf
Dark Elf
Human

I think that "oops, not enough people, better wait another half an hour!" is a problem, and something (I'm not sure what) needs to be done about that, but the format is less stressful than R, more fun than R, and promotes longevity better. I really would like to see B take the place of R as the competitive division.
kn00b

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2008 - 14:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Playing in the BlackBox is just grand. Not only does it set me up reliably with a match every hour, but it gives me challenging matchups I wouldn't take otherwise. I played Plorg's Khemri with my undead, down 16 TS and with a little dice managed a good draw. I did much better than I expected considering I never willingly play Khemri in Ranked. This is the genius of BlackBox for a mediocre coach like me - by giving me even matchups it will make me a better player.

On the topic of racial diversity - this is not a phenomenon unique to [B]. The fact is with the LRB 4/5 setup you really only have 5 teams who are more 'score' than 'bash' (elves and skaven). Humans, zons, lizards and maybe vamps you can consider 'swing,' stunties are their own case, that means the rest are bash. With 21 teams in the LRB, 11 are way bashy, only 2 or 3 are well balanced and the rest rely on DP. The problem of racial diversity isn't blackbox, it's the ruleset IMO. Bash teams are much more common than scoring teams no matter what league or tourney you go to. I think it's time to get used to it.
Christer

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2008 - 14:04
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Without a minimum number of coaches participating (currently set at 6), the black box aspect disappears entirely and the matches will be very predictable. At the moment, they're set at a high pace, which requires 6 coaches every 30 minutes to want to play. Compare this to the 25 or so matches (ie, 50 coaches) that are played per hour on the site (average games per hour for one 24h period).

So with the 30 minute round times, the system requires at least 10% of all matches on the site to be in this division. I the division becomes popular, this will probably be fine. Otherwise, I might have to reduce the rate of the rounds to keep the number of participants up.

Either way, it's currently running fine with 30 minute intervals and it is generating a fair number of games, and creating a good spread of teams to help me evaluate the scheduler.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2008 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

If there are not enough coaches to fill the box then surely it will just mean that the next round will be overflowing with coaches anyway? So in times of low traffic a 30 minute scheduler will act like a 1 hour scheduler anyway.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2008 - 14:59 Reply with quote Back to top

This is fantastic. I activated my team and had a match in 5 minutes! Today I activated and knew I didn't have a match in like 10 minutes. Also didn't hurt that my first match was my Norse vs Lizardmen and I slaughtered them:) This may be the only way I play now.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=2414976
Synn

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2008 - 15:31 Reply with quote Back to top

The only issue I have with [B] right now is that the box LOVES rematches. I have a five game old Norse team. 3 of those matches have been against KenThis's dorfs.

I killed a dorf in the hopes that it won't match us again for the 4th time.

Otherwise, the box rox.

__Synn
Grod

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2008 - 16:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea suggested I believe by CircularLogic of factoring in a reward based inversely on the number of games played by all other teams of the roster type being used. This would go someways into encouraging diversity into the Blackbox division without forcing it, and would hopefully result in a more even distribution of rosters in the division.

Oscar Wilde
Sinner

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2008 - 16:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, Jesus, I want to play!!!

Stupid work... getting in the way all the time...

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2008 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

All work and no play makes Sinner a dull boy All work and no play makes Sinner a dull boy All work and no play makes Sinner a dull boy All work and no play makes Sinner a dull boy All work and no play makes Sinner a dull boy All work and no play makes Sinner a dull boy All work and no play makes Sinner a dull boy All work and no play makes Sinner a dull boy All work and no play makes Sinner a dull boy All work and no play makes Sinner a dull boy All work and no play makes Sinner a dull boy All work and no play makes Sinner a dull boy All work and no play makes Sinner a dull boy All work and no play makes Sinner a dull boy All work and no play makes Sinner a dull boy All work and no play makes Sinner a dull boy All work and no play makes Sinner a dull boy All work and no play makes Sinner a dull boy All work and no play makes Sinner a dull boy All work and no play makes Sinner a dull boy
PorkusMaximus

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2008 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Currently played 7 games with a [B] team. Have been matched against Chaos, High Elf, Chaos dwarf X3 (2 separate teams), Norse and Khemri. So out of 7 games I've played 6 different coaches and all the games were fairly equal in TS. That being said, I have seen the box match up some other teams that were clearly unbalanced. As far as the mechanics of the system go, it seems to be simply but effective and it cuts out a lot of hassle of trying to get a match in [R]. Now if I could only find a way to stop my rotters getting Nuffled...
 Jump to: