37 coaches online • Server time: 14:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2008 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
Why on earth would you give up a chance of a wonderful non-picky [B] game to take part in the [R]elic div?

Maybe because I like to play with even teams?
elfbowler

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2008 - 13:07 Reply with quote Back to top

then lets also have an elf black box too, only half joking here
Mattybee

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2008 - 20:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Sometimes BowlBot gives really, really clearly unfair matchups. It's getting kind of unpleasant.

Of course my 139/139, 3/2/1 Norse totally have business playing forrest_gump's 9/1/1 160/164 Wood Elves, this is a completely fair matchup.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2008 - 20:43 Reply with quote Back to top

elfbowler wrote:
then lets also have an elf black box too, only half joking here

Why? Elves are awesome and don't need to be treated any different from the rest of the teams.

I find Elfbowling to be utterly boring... and for the people that like it (it's ok to like it... I guess) and don't dare play proper teams then [B] probably isn't for them anyway.

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2008 - 21:30 Reply with quote Back to top

The scheduler very clearly gives an advantage to the highest TS team in any given draw. As far as I have seen this is a very negative thing, however that might just be a flaw thats occured during testing where few teams are high TS.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
ahalfling

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2008 - 06:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Can you check this game out? I think this might be an example of what the previous post is saying.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=2422492

I'm not complaining personally, especially given the result (mostly luck, I assure you)... but I think a situation like this might be worth looking into. Yes, Amazons are somewhat overpowered at this level, and yes, my team has a better record... but even with that, I really don't think a 49/30 TR/TS gap should ever be happening, especially at sub-200 TS levels.

And I'm a little concerned that this might be a regular thing, as in the previous match, by team (which was 160/170 at the time) played 199/178 chaos dwarves. Again, we didn't lose, and we didn't get especially hurt, but going into it, the match also stretched the limits of credibility somewhat. (Especially because, even if there is a compensation for amazons being overpowered at lower levels, it probably shouldn't apply vs. CDs.) Of course, in that case, the TS was deceptively close, which might mask things...

Last I checked, the two teams I faced were the highest-TR teams in the division, and right up there in terms of TS -- so if there's some sort of thing related to balance with the highest-rated team in the scheduler, that would make sense. Or, for that matter, related to higher-rated teams in general.

Note also that both teams are coached by people with only one divisional team -- so it may be that the scheduler is forcing less-than-ideal matches for them, because if they don't get one, the coach doesn't get one. I would imagine most of the highest-TS teams at this point might be in the same position in terms of their coach only having one team...

(Hell, I ran a forward passing orc team back in the '90s. You probably shouldn't listen to me. Ever.)
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2008 - 06:51 Reply with quote Back to top

just out of curiosity....

B has been around for a week....

ranked has been around for....well...forever....

do you think, given B existing for a healthy amount of time(more than a week), and once team population balances out more, that this sort of matchup would continue to happen?....

or is it possible that this team matchup happened due to a) increased frequency of the scheduler process due to needing to get a large amount of data to analyse, or b) not having enough of a population yet at the higher TR rankings?

--j

ImageImage
pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2008 - 07:17 Reply with quote Back to top

for those whining about uneven matchups:

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=2422570

Just play. It's a challenge.

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2008 - 08:59 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:

do you think, given B existing for a healthy amount of time(more than a week), and once team population balances out more, that this sort of matchup would continue to happen?....

or is it possible that this team matchup happened due to a) increased frequency of the scheduler process due to needing to get a large amount of data to analyse, or b) not having enough of a population yet at the higher TR rankings?

--j

This seems like the kind of matchup where it just shouldn't happen. If it's "not play" or "play down 25 TS against a clearly superior coach", I'd rather... not play. It seems like it's struggling to make matches in what are CLEARLY matches that shouldn't be made.
Ehlers

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2008 - 11:35 Reply with quote Back to top

As long as the Teams are within the 40TS limit, then I dont see a problem actually. Yes it might not always be fun, sweet, fun or nice to meet a very much stronger team that sure has the edge from the start. BUT this is the Black Box, this is here where you get challenged as a coach. No dodging, hard games, strong coaches, competitive matches and adopt to every new situation, I can only see the outcome of this. That is that you will get better as a coach. These things wont happen in Ranked because all people dodge matches, so you wont get those games where all factors are agaisnt you. But good coaches would know how to handle it and deal with it.

And I think this div that Christer has put into action, display the true blood bowl spirit.
Nyberg

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2008 - 11:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Mattybee: I bet you dont complain when you playin up 25 ts?
pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2008 - 11:49 Reply with quote Back to top

\o/ no complaining! No prisoners! No prisoners! Weep at my -54 ts and think yourselves fortunate!

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2008 - 11:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Mattybee wrote:
shadow46x2 wrote:

--j

This seems like the kind of matchup where it just shouldn't happen. If it's "not play" or "play down 25 TS against a clearly superior coach", I'd rather... not play. It seems like it's struggling to make matches in what are CLEARLY matches that shouldn't be made.

I agree here as I've been having to give handicaps almost every game. I'm wanting fair & even matchups every match. If its a fair, even match against khems or dorfs vs my elfs, so be it. I'd rather not play than have to give handis every game. I think that's prob what alot are thinking as it's frustrating as hell.

Yes, I know it's only been a week & it's Alpha phase. My thoughts are that if I keep having to give handis every game at under 200TR, I prob won't play [B] very long, even though I love the challenge of getting a random oppo & the quickness of getting games here.

Things I see have all been mentioned already, but for the sake of saying: handi's, less than 11 players & out of wack matchups.

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2008 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Nyberg wrote:
Mattybee: I bet you dont complain when you playin up 25 ts?

I feel kind of bad for my opponent, especially if he's forced to play it.

I don't see how that's relevant; if a game would be considered a cherry-pick in [R], what is it doing in [B]?
Qaz

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2008 - 12:19 Reply with quote Back to top

The thing in B is that you might be given a really hard game and then the next game be given a really easy one. Every one gets hard and easy games and some balanced games. In the end it eavens out because every one plays hard easy and balanced games and get a mix og theese. In R there are coaches who never gets a hard game.

I wish I could have my beloved R teams in B.

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
 Jump to: