30 coaches online • Server time: 01:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2008 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

johan wrote:
westerner wrote:

2) Metagaming BR down, by having one team that loses a lot (e.g. all-DP Khemri) in order to get easier matches with another team.

This is a genuine problem.

The lesson here is simple enough: If you reward people for losing games, some people will make sure that they lose games.

The same goes for bashing/not bashing.

I don't think it's an real issue too. If someone feels like spending half the time losing, to increase a little bit his victory with another team, then he's doing a poor metagaming.

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2008 - 16:22 Reply with quote Back to top

The point I am unsure of, is the overall BR BBR per coach.

It's been more obvious with all the stuff about team killing but a unique ranking tend to favourise coaches that play under a certain style.

For exemple:
I started elves. I will probably have a low BBR over time hence avoid team killers. But if I create orcs, I'll likely will have an average score.

If I take a weak roster (say goblins for exemple) and play with darkies which I master better, I ll probably be average. But, IMO, the darkies shouldn't have easier games likewise the flings harder ones.

Hence, if I favourise one playstyle, I ll have more suitable matchups than if I try a little bit of everything.

The point I am unsure of, is whether it's better to be into the averages or more extreme.

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2008 - 16:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I loathe the BBR system (as it relates to bashing/casualties) with a passion, the same way I despise the Ulthuan Invitational qualifiers. This is just another way of coddling the elf teams (that are not underperforming by any standards).

Like sk8bcn says, it also introduces a strange metagaming element. If I play both Claw-Chaos and Wood Elves, I will have a different set of matches for both the Chaos and the Wood Elf team than I would if I played only one of them. Thus, if I want softer matches with my Wood Elves, it will affect my team selection for [B]. This both odd and undesirable.

If we absolutely have to have a bashing-balancer (which I really, really don't think we need it), at least have it on a team level rather than a coach level. And the same goes for win-balancing - if I'm outstanding with Elves (I'm not) and suck with Ogres (who doesn't?), playing both teams will net me easier matches with the Wood Elves and harder matches with the Ogres as compared to just playing one of the teams. This is completely counter-intuitive.

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess

Last edited by johan on %b %11, %2008 - %18:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
clarkin

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2008 - 16:53 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:

For exemple:
I started elves. I will probably have a low BBR over time hence avoid team killers.

Having a low BBR doesn't let you avoid team killers. It (slightly) lowers your overall 'blackbox coach strength' but if you have a winning record (likely with elves) that outweighs BBR by a factor of three.
westerner

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2008 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

johan wrote:
westerner wrote:
Summary of potential exploits I'm aware of:

1) Hiring multiple stars for a new team, then retiring the team after the match.

This will not be a problem as long as Stars are correctly priced for TS.

It's more of a metagame than TS issue. Someone blowing their money on stars to play at TS140 out of the gate, is going to have a one-shot game playstyle. This gives them an advantage over someone who invested time developing a team to TS140 (and hopes to keep playing with it), because they can take short term risks the other team can't afford long term.

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2008 - 00:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Can we please look at the TS formula for all these teams using zero rerolls, plus a Leader.

I have no issue with the box being full of Khemri, Orcs, Dwarves and the likes, but this new plague of zero reroll teams trying to get the TS boost while having a reroll (leader) is a bit much.
Plorg

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2008 - 04:58 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:
Can we please look at the TS formula for all these teams using zero rerolls, plus a Leader.

I have no issue with the box being full of Khemri, Orcs, Dwarves and the likes, but this new plague of zero reroll teams trying to get the TS boost while having a reroll (leader) is a bit much.

How much? (In TS bonus-cost terms)
Presenting such information might strengthen your argument.
Plorg

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2008 - 05:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
(explanation of sum of three different suitability fitness functions)
The chosen schedule is the one that has the highest suitability sum.

Nice!
johan

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2008 - 11:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
# If the team has 0 ReRolls, subtract 10
# If the team has 1 ReRoll, subtract 5

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
clarkin

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2008 - 11:16 Reply with quote Back to top

This is a small request, but can blackbox games count towards the awards in your awards tab? I thought I'd have my goblin player award Razz
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2008 - 11:38 Reply with quote Back to top

clarkin wrote:
This is a small request, but can blackbox games count towards the awards in your awards tab? I thought I'd have my goblin player award Razz

I asked that right away and Christer has decided against it.

For me the main reason I don't play in [B] anymore is the lack of goals. No tourneys, no awards, no medals, no BR...just an easy way to get one off games.
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2009 - 14:16 Reply with quote Back to top

1) I'd like to see the blackbox scheduler check ALL possible match-ups between coaches so that we are TRULY getting the best match-up we can between our teams. This is what the box is supposed to be & I don't mind if it takes a couple minutes to sort through it all if it's going to result in a more balanced match in the end. I was just matched w/ my skaven 122/122 against some dark elves 109/110 even though I clicked to try & play w/ my new necro 100/107 which would have been a much more balanced match-up. Also, shouldn't the scheduler have checked the team I clicked on first as it was the one I prefered to play?

2) I'd like to see a remedy for the inevitable match where TR/TS are greatly unbalanced due to your team getting thrashed the game before. For example, my high elfs which just got thrashed & are in a greaty unbalanced state of 155/117 & need a recovery match. Unfortunately recovery from this becomes very difficult in [B] w/ the handicaps. Having to possibly give out 3 handicaps (yes it's unlikely, but possible) & only having 8 players available next match doesn't seem fair or fun.

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2009 - 14:28 Reply with quote Back to top

My guess is that Freppa has a higher BR than you.. enough to close the gap between 3TS and 7TS.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Hero164

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2009 - 15:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Recovery is a good point though as matching by ts means you can get the situation where your 200/130 team meets a 130/130 team. I know this happened to me the other day and with It wasnt me and morleys my already beaten up team lost 4 players before I even started. When this happens your heart just falls as you know your in for an hours kicking.

Should the scheduler not try and match TR and TS. so it checks first on TS then looks for a similar TR rather than a handicap match.

I fully accept I could have had virus and palmed coin and had the advantage but that would not have been fair either.

Stella for President!!

Need a new challenge? Here's all the challenge you will ever need.

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=19352
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2009 - 15:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Hero164 wrote:
Recovery is a good point though as matching by ts means you can get the situation where your 200/130 team meets a 130/130 team. I know this happened to me the other day and with It wasnt me and morleys my already beaten up team lost 4 players before I even started. When this happens your heart just falls as you know your in for an hours kicking.

Should the scheduler not try and match TR and TS. so it checks first on TS then looks for a similar TR rather than a handicap match.

I fully accept I could have had virus and palmed coin and had the advantage but that would not have been fair either.

Handicaps count for 5 TS. So technically the perfect matchup would be 200/130 vs 130/115.