43 coaches online • Server time: 10:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you want BR in the Formula?
Yes - And if it is removed, I will likely leave Blackbox
4%
 4%  [ 10 ]
Yes - But I would play Blackbox regardless
23%
 23%  [ 53 ]
No - But I would play Blackbox regardless
39%
 39%  [ 91 ]
No - And if it remains, I will likely leave Blackbox
20%
 20%  [ 48 ]
Unsure - I have not decided, or do not understand BR
12%
 12%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 230

shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 18:50 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:
shadow46x2 wrote:
...thankfully our system doesn't use one-off matches Smile

--j

The system is nothing more than a series of one off matches.

i was referring to the APA system for pool..not fumbbl

--j

ImageImage
pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 19:23 Reply with quote Back to top

just because I am a better chess player than my opponent, this should not mean I must play with only one bishop.

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
just because I am a better chess player than my opponent, this should not mean I must play with only one bishop.

I rather like that.

Good show, old bean! Smile
westerner

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 20:15 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Blackbox really is for the upper echelons of coaches getting fair games against each other. What is the appeal to lower cr coaches?

[B]'s rapid and standardized matches are attractive, whatever your CR.

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:

On the other hand, in chess, you can't kill your opponent's pieces and force him to play down a piece next game. Smile

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 20:29 Reply with quote Back to top

westerner wrote:
pythrr wrote:

On the other hand, in chess, you can't kill your opponent's pieces and force him to play down a piece next game. Smile

By analogy, in this case he'd be playing against other team with fewer pieces (value)
Qaz

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 22:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I thought that apart from preventing cherrypicking BlackBox a and especally the BlackBox Rating if it is implimated was to more accurate than [R] determen the best coaches. If we handicap coaching skills then it is kinda hard to determen the best.

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
SillySod

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 23:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Qaz wrote:
I thought that apart from preventing cherrypicking BlackBox a and especally the BlackBox Rating if it is implimated was to more accurate than [R] determen the best coaches. If we handicap coaching skills then it is kinda hard to determen the best.

No it would still be useful because you dont instantly drop all your BR whenever you lose a game Smile High BR coaches would be those that can maintain a decent win rate despite being handicapped.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Cyco

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:
Cyco wrote:
Where is the "I dont mind" and "I want CR/BR separate" - choice?

The 'I don't mind' was the last option, for people who didn't want to vote yes, or no.

The CR and BR are seperate, the BR just isn't visible as yet.

Aha, then thats my choice. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2008 - 00:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
pythrr wrote:

I rather like that.

Good show, old bean! Smile

Thanks. It is also a lie. I am terrible at chess. You can't foul things in chess.

Last edited by pythrr on %b %15, %2008 - %00:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
Pirog

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2008 - 00:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I think having BR as part of the balance formula completly defeats the purpose of the entire game. It's supposed to be a game of skills. Most of us knows that is not always the case, since the many dice rolls makes luck a big factor, but giving out handicaps due to the other coach being considered more skilled is ridiculous.

I will probably not play in Blackbox division if BR will be a factor in the match-ups. As someone pointed out, winning over a better coach due to getting a bunch of handicaps is not fun or developing. Playing better coaches on equal terms is the best way to actually get better at this game.
TheCetusProject

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2008 - 00:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't really want a BR to be used in determining the matchups because it defeats the main competitive attraction: not to get a high BR over time, but to engage in a competition with somebody in which neither side is externally handicapped to try to determine who is better on the day.

On the other hand, one could argue that using BR tries to ensure that in every game you have to use the full extent of your abilities, so rather than just sitting back against a much weaker player and getting an easy win without having to concetrate very much, you always have to try hard. I can see this approach has some attractive properties. I, however, enjoy thrashing weaker players and getting thrashed by stronger players, so I don't care about this.

Further, I am not a very experienced all-round player, so my coaching skills vary wildly from race to race. If the system were to use the same BR for every team, it would start giving me supposedly fair games that I am not very likely to win. This might well make it much less fun to play the new race.

Finally, I would be concerned that this might influence desire to take risks to win a game. If I have the possibility of winning a match, but putting a key player at risk if it fails, I would always take the risk. If, on the other hand, I knew that my reward for winning would be a more difficult game next time, I might be tempted to play it safer.

Moving on, more importantly for me, if this BR has to exist then I strongly desire it to be hidden. The existence of CR spoils my entertainment in [R]. Further, in Blackbox I would be faced with the possibility of losing many rating points for a game I might consider to be very hard, and would find this annoying. In [R] I can avoid such a game, here I cannot. Playing matches in Blackbox without any league standings, tournament progression, or coach ranking, has made it much easier to enjoy the slaughterings and the bad luck games.

Conclusion: if BR is adjusted for race and kept hidden, I am likely to grumble but play. If BR is not adjusted by race but kept hidden, I'm not sure what I'd do. Finally, if I am told my BR, it is quite likely that I will return to the relative inaction of the last few months.
Peter_Thorpe

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2008 - 01:13 Reply with quote Back to top

personally, i dont want BR affecting the game unless there is a MASSIVE gap between coaches skill levels, i wouldnt know what gap would be appropriate, but if your giving away 20+ BR to your opponent, then yeah maybe a little help would make it a bit more balanced

but im happy the way it is now

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2008 - 01:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I know this isnt the point, but if the idea was for th curent formula to yield a 50/50 win/los record, from a personal perspective its woking well so far, 10/3/10. Each time I win a couple, I seem to then lose the next few, or vice versa. Not saying this is good or bad, just observing that the system appears to be working as planned.

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2008 - 13:35 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
This is an ALPHA system. Are you sure that all this discussion is not just over a bug? Smile

Until Christer responds I charge Duke with scaremongering. Smile

Well, Christer has responded and it is now confirmed that BR is part of the matching formula.

It is also clear from this thread that most do not want BR in the formula.

However, it's Christer's decision at the end of the day, our choice is simply whether we play or not.
 Jump to: