51 coaches online • Server time: 13:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
KenThis

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2008 - 16:50 Reply with quote Back to top

jesus
maths...

people 'squirting' Pee everywhere and having a 'bash' at everyone

It's like a busy Gentlemans convenience after last orders.
SeraphimRed

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2008 - 17:27 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
Hmm... true.. You diagramm represents the 4 possible matchups of A.

Yes, like he said. Razz

The distance of b-d may still be relatively small from A though, the point is getting it close not getting it close in one particular direction, right? Your HUGE diagram makes it look worse. Smile

Thanks to BigC for the clarification too.

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

Unforseen

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2008 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

This is a great division and even when I'm getting destroyed I've been having fun. The randomness allows me to enjoy the bad luck that happens sometimes.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2008 - 18:20 Reply with quote Back to top

As I said in the other thread, I think a lot of the disquiet is becuase people's thoughts on what the division should be (i.e, what they 'want') aren't always matching up with what the guy that runs the division thinks it should be. I number myself in there, so I'm a little bit to blame for the mini forum explosion. Very Happy

Thanks for the explanation. I'll be drawn no doubt to whatever division I find more fun. If as Alpha runs through Beta to real thing I'm having fun, I'll stick around, if I'm feeling got at on TS or any other platform, I'll probably only drop in every so often. Same for everyone else.

The thoughts on what is 'fair' or 'fun' don't seem easy to solve for the many rather than the few, I rather hope we can all just get along and play where we like, without interweb based slanging matches and finger pointing.

A man can dream! Laughing
westerner

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2008 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
Edit:
I have written an Excel sheet that gives you a distribution of scores for different combinations of BR/BBR/TS. You insert 2 sets of BR/BBR and the TS of the stronger coach at 150. The sheet then plots the score of the matchup against the TS of the weaker coach. I think that gives a good visualization how the scheduler works. It incorporates everything but the racial chart and - of course - the randomizer. If you are interested, drop me a PM.

Thanks to Circ for parsing the algorithm and sending me the easy-to-use spreadsheet. I was very curious to see what my [B] orcs optimal TS matchup would be against some theoretical opponents.

http://www.fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=509590
BloodMoon Troopers: TS159 / BR149* / BBR155*
*Estimated based on -2 TD / +10 CAS vs their opposition over 19 games.

vs Coach A: TS151 / BR155 / BR150
Stronger but less bashy coach. +8TS handicap.

vs Coach B: TS150 / BR155 / BR160
Moderately stronger and bashier coach. +9TS handicap.

vs Coach C: TS165/ BR145 / BR160
Weaker but bashier coach. -6TS handicap.

vs Coach D: TS158 / BR150 / BR150
Average coach. +1TS handicap.

vs Coach E: TS148 / BR159 / BR155
Strong equally bashy coach. +11TS handicap

vs Coach F: TS140 / BR169 / BR155
Very strong equally bashy coach. +19TS handicap

vs Coach G: TS133 / BR179 / BR155
Superior coach. + 26TS handicap.

Some observations based on the data used:
-BBR doesn't affect the TS handicap very much.
-BR is worth about 1 TS handicap per BR difference, which feels a bit high.
-All of the above examples are within the .850 score cutoff
-The edge matches (vs coaches F and G) seem less likely b/c they will probably fit someone else better.

Now, this assumes BR will work similarly to the way CR does now, but we really don't know.

Hopefully I've done the calculations right. Sorry for any errors.

Last edited by westerner on %b %18, %2008 - %21:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
Reisender

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2008 - 21:02 Reply with quote Back to top

thanks nin and circ for pointing some things out. now , after work, with some time and explanation, i slowly get it......Very Happy
oryx

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 02:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to call attention to janmatty's earlier post about the differing needs within the community - this seems especially pertinent to me. There is definitely a need for a quick, easy, non-picking gamefinder. But I see that there is also a need for an open, no-holds-barred arena for pros and those who want to be pros, both to determine a sort of non-picking CR, and to take on the challenge of the unknown.

I hear Christer's dream of challenging matchups, but I think it is based on the idea that losing is inherently bad, and that neither fun nor wisdom is gained from it. From my perspective nothing could be further from the truth. Indeed, as a weak coach on fumbbl, I'm more upset by the idea that I won't get to play the best coaches on a regular basis (my br and bbr aren't likely to be high) than I am disturbed by the idea that I might play a bunch of scrubs who suck but have more spps than I do.

All in all, the idea started out as a hunt for a true competitive division... And although at this point it has been pointed in another direction, I think we can all agree that no amount of refinement on the part of the br/bbr system is going to create a system in which a coaches mettle, skill, and wit are accurately measured. Only a system based on TS, TR, or some other neutral factor can fulfill that role.

So, having said that, please consider the possibility of compromising for the community and going further than you had so far planned christer. Please consider making a competitive [b] division as well as a "quickgame" option that is for everyone.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 08:03 Reply with quote Back to top

westerner wrote:

-The edge matches (vs coaches F and G) seem less likely b/c they will probably fit someone else better.

That is only because your BR/BBR ratio differs greatly from those of your F&G coaches. Set them to BR=169/179 and BBR=175/185 respectively and you`ll get near perfect matches again.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 10:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Optihut wrote:
Reisender wrote:
since everybody ignored it so far, i would like to come back to my first post myself Very Happy (last one on page one).

the question i ask there is: are you sure that the current scheduling as christer decribes it really tends to give TS-advantadge to weaker coaches? actually i do not think that is true, but i am not sure... (please see first post for details)

I'm not so sure either, as I faced a stronger team (131/138 vs 162/158) with a higher ranked coach (CR 161.94 vs 177.3) in my last game. It was still fun, though.

Beware, you have a hidden Box ranking, I don't think it's your coach ranking. So your opponent might have been playing his first game and be ranked under you.

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 11:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Pac- agreed Very Happy
I'm not clinging to it. Just recently started to use it cause I hadn't got any pic at all.
pac

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 11:39 Reply with quote Back to top

arw wrote:
I'm not clinging to it. Just recently started to use it cause I hadn't got any pic at all.

Oh, it's gone. Sad I liked it really - made me feel like I had a nemesis! Very Happy
arw

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 11:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Nemesis shall hunt you down Twisted Evil
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=6089703
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 11:58 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
arw wrote:

Oh, it's gone. Sad I liked it really - made me feel like I had a nemesis! Very Happy

If it makes you feel any better, I can change my Avatar Wink
pac

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 12:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Aaah! Run away! Shocked
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 12:10 Reply with quote Back to top

On topic please?
(God, never thought I would come up with such words...)