63 coaches online • Server time: 17:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post 7s for fummbl?goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Pirog

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

You don't need to look at the pictures to realize that a guy like that is intensly sexually frustrated. People who thinks that it's fun to build teams that just wreck other peoples teams are always frustrated somehow, otherwise they just wouldn't play like that. Either that or they got serious psychological problems.
WG|Dark_Angel

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, I'd rather play someone who always has the same players (but pictures) than someone with varying names (and no pictures).

Anyway, here's cheese for the whine:

Pirog

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 11:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
If Christer wouldnt mind implementing it then having a 3 coach limit on the blacklist would be about right. It would stop all sorts of daft "oh noes he won", "oh noes he fouled", and "oh noes he whined" blacklisting because people would save their list for the 1 or 2 coaches that they genuinely hate playing. It wouldnt really let you totally ban a particular playstyle but if 100-200 coaches decide that BLOODKILLERMACHO is intensley dull to play then it might cause enough non-schedulings for them to maybe rethink their style a little.

The main benifit would not be to encourage some people of playing differently though, but rather to save coaches from having to play people that they seriously dislike. This is after all just a game. Even if I have wasted endless hours here I still find it awful to have to endure an hour long match against someone who is really rude etc. Spending an hour having fun doesn't feel like a waste, but when I spend it knowing from the start that you will walk off irritated I sometimes wonder why I play this game. Fortunately those matches doesn't come often. But in Blackbox chance might make it happen.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 11:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Pirog wrote:
Quote:
If Christer wouldnt mind implementing it then having a 3 coach limit on the blacklist would be about right. It would stop all sorts of daft "oh noes he won", "oh noes he fouled", and "oh noes he whined" blacklisting because people would save their list for the 1 or 2 coaches that they genuinely hate playing. It wouldnt really let you totally ban a particular playstyle but if 100-200 coaches decide that BLOODKILLERMACHO is intensley dull to play then it might cause enough non-schedulings for them to maybe rethink their style a little.

The main benifit would not be to encourage some people of playing differently though, but rather to save coaches from having to play people that they seriously dislike. This is after all just a game. Even if I have wasted endless hours here I still find it awful to have to endure an hour long match against someone who is really rude etc. Spending an hour having fun doesn't feel like a waste, but when I spend it knowing from the start that you will walk off irritated I sometimes wonder why I play this game. Fortunately those matches doesn't come often. But in Blackbox chance might make it happen.

I second this idea.
/me puts his "J.M. Approved" sign to it.

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 11:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I suspect that the reason for the above mentioned team is the same instinct that makes team killers (tk) in multi player first person shooters (FPS). The only way that makes sense is that they, for whatever reason (I'm suspecting it's used as a way to feel important, but I could be wrong), get their kicks from getting people angry. When questioned about it, the answer from a tk is always: "Because it's fun! You whiner." Multi player FPS's always have a kicking mechanism or a tk-limit to limit the effects of tk's. This makes sense as a multi player game is not a single way street. If only one person is having "fun", then the game is ruined for others.

Now the problem with Fumbbl is that drawing a clear analogy with tk'ing is immensely hard. In the current case, the coach being blamed can be (and is) defended by arguments that can be summed up as: His behaviour is within the rules of the game, so suck it up.

Last, it could also be argued that the behaviour of the said coach is not aimed at "playing to win" (hard to define as well unless collusion can be proved) and therefore not within the rules.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 11:40 Reply with quote Back to top

WG|Dark_Angel wrote:
Actually, I'd rather play someone who always has the same players (but pictures) than someone with varying names (and no pictures).

Anyway, here's cheese for the whine:

Fact 1: Vol whined.

Fact 2: a coach who deliberately admits he's not playing to win (no matter if he coaches wood elves or multi-dp khemri) gets roundhouse kicked to blacklists, and rightly so.

Fact 3: choosing a playstyle and sticking to it when it's evident that its main purpose is to piss off the opponent while joyfully glaring at his whining, and not being able to see the difference between doing this to a friend in RL sharing a pint and doing it to multiple guys you're protected from by a computer screen, calls for psichiatric attention. Idiocy never gets old, it seems.

Fact 4: Facts 1&2 can't be applied to Paulhicks. Fact 3 never happened in the Paulniverse.

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 11:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Diabl0658 wrote:
Back in the day we used to have this play style called "fun playing". Fun playing people would always be the ones doing what was fun for them and wouldnt be concerned about winning if it got in the way of their fun. Some folks had their fun by scoring touchdowns, some folks had their fun spilling blood, and some folks had their fun throwing goblins to their doom.

Nowadays we only have two styles of play. Theres the "reasonable playing" which means you have to play to win and do nothing that does not contribute to a victory. Then theres "assy playing" which is everything else.

If I'm not playing a game (or rather any game) to win, I'm ruining it for all others involved. This holds true for all games not just fumbbl.

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 11:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Vol wrote:
I vote for the ability to blacklist certain coaches or teams in the Blackbox. The scheduler would avoid scheduling a match with anyone/anyteam on your blacklist.

Then dont play in the Blackbox. Go back to Ranked, where you can dodge those coaches and teams you dont like or want to play against.
xcver

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 11:57 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:

Fact 3: choosing a playstyle and sticking to it when it's evident that its main purpose is to piss off the opponent while joyfully glaring at his whining, and not being able to see the difference between doing this to a friend in RL sharing a pint and doing it to multiple guys you're protected from by a computer screen, calls for psichiatric attention. Idiocy never gets old, it seems.

Very true...just think if you really would play the game that way in a long-term league with 10 friends (and being honest to yourself while you're at it).

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Fact 1: Vol whined.

Fact 2: a coach who deliberately admits he's not playing to win (no matter if he coaches wood elves or multi-dp khemri) gets roundhouse kicked to blacklists, and rightly so.

Fact 4: Facts 1&2 can't be applied to Paulhicks. Fact 3 never happened in the Paulniverse.

I wasn't speaking to you when I posted the cheese, I was talking about roughly the first 10 posts of the thread.

Likewise, I disagree with Fact 2. I don't find it necessary for people to show moral maturity on the internet. Stuff like that is reserved for reality, where actions have consequences. The personality that people create for the internet is entirely none of my business.

Quote:
Very true...just think if you really would play the game that way in a long-term league with 10 friends (and being honest to yourself while you're at it).

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=2413532

Edit - watch the language --j
xcver

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

WG|Dark_Angel wrote:

Quote:

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=2413532

And I don't give a ****.

Still not the same as a "real" league IRL. where you you just cannot let the team just sit there do nothing......

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 12:27 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
Pirog wrote:
Quote:

I second this idea.
/me puts his "J.M. Approved" sign to it.

You mean.... this?

If so then I would like permission to post such a seal on this team Very Happy

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 12:28
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

this is one of the reasons im not playing [B].

'Said coach' is clearly purile and more than a little pathetic, if they arnt 14 yrs old, then certainly their mental age is arrested there. And any time spent in game with them would be a waste of my limited gaming time and resources.

In R i can just mock them from afar, in [B] i can't.

This is a big upside of the box for me. it gives coaches like that a place where people cant avoid them, and where by not having a [B] team, i can.

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 12:35 Reply with quote Back to top

a few notes...

first off...3 edits in one thread...nicely done...

if i see one more instance of profanity in this thread, it's done, clear?...

secondly....it amuses me how many psychiatrists there are on fumbbl, and how many of you have 100% without a doubt figured out every motive for the person on the other side....i could only wish i was as omniscient as the rest of you....

lastly....while i completely agree with a lot of the disgust towards a lot of tactics used in Blackbox....if you don't like it, don't play in it....

this division is not for the weekend warriors, or the faint at heart...i think most everyone can agree that the level of competition is considerably higher than what is found in ranked....

everyone here should have grasped the point that if Blackbox came to light, then there would be people who would use these tactics all day long, and not care a single bit about your precious pixels...either get over it, or move back to ranked where you can pick and choose who you want to play against, and can not have to worry about whether your opponent is going to foul you to oblivion and ignore the ball in the process...

--j

ImageImage
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 12:44 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
this division is not for the weekend warriors, or the faint at heart...i think most everyone can agree that the level of competition is considerably higher than what is found in ranked....

See, I was about to discard this paragraph as "obvious" till the moment when I read that you used the word "competition".

As I see it, it's fine if you pound me into a bloody pulp while trying to pick up the ball, to cover it to the best of your skills (even if your skills are bad), and to score.

But if you just charge forward and it never strikes me as possible that you're actually caring about the little pigskin round object... then I guess it's YOUR type that the division was not designed for, not my type.

Competitive spirit is a prerequisite for being a blackboxer, as much as having guts is.