48 coaches online • Server time: 00:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Sneakypete

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 11:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Alacran wrote:
OMG! Not another thread about how bad fouling is in BBox. Oh noes. When will people ever stop making these threads?

To answer your question, teams with cheap players tend to stack DP on some of them. I, like you, have no problem with someone fouling as a viable strategy. I play an elf team, people have this idea that I can score against a full team with four players. I accept that people that are lazy coaches are going to go for the tie and try to eliminate me. And of all my games in Bbox, of which there have been a few, I have only ever had one guy try to eliminate my team on a permanant basis. I also played the 'going to play one game and hire up some gobbo star players with weapons team' once, he killed two more guys. They were actually successful, because two games later that team did, in fact, retire because it needed too many games to get back in shape. If you get the feeling that someone is trying to rub your face in the dirt, conceed. If someone is not trying to win, "playing to lose," report the game and take a walk outside.

Actually, the bigger problem that you are likely to encounter in Bbox is that many of its ardent players are quite uncooth. This includes the forums, IRC, and in game. If you are ok with playing a pleasant person, my experience, 1 out of 3 times then Bbox is for you. If you don't mind playing someone that never types anything, or rude things, then Bbox is for you. If you can't get a game in Ranked because you rub people the wrong way, you guessed it, Bbox is for you.

Ranked is still viable, if you don't like Blackbox, there is an alternative. The good thing about Bbox is that you get assigned a random oppenent. It is like being in a tourney. You never know what you're going to get, a high flying elf team (unlikely) or a ground and pound Khemri team. You have to play each new game as a challenge. Go toe to toe with a new and different individual every game. If this appeals to you, feel free to dive in head first.

Absolutly Agree on every single part Smile
Reisender

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 11:21 Reply with quote Back to top

actually, in about 30 games in the box i only met 2 coaches that were, in my opinion, not friendly or polite

maybe i was lucky, but due to my own experience players in the box are as in ranked - mostly nice people, with some (.... watching my language....) not so nice people around
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 12:02 Reply with quote Back to top

DP in blackbox is both very reasonable and very popular.

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I picked up a DP just so he can go and foul other DPs. The box made me pick up my first DP ever.
duttydave

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 13:30 Reply with quote Back to top

In the games I have played in [B], I have not found DP any more prevalent than in the teams I have played in Ranked.

I have a rather nice but squishy AV7 Elf team developing in [B], currently undefeated in seven matches. I have played against Ogres, Dwarfs, Khemri and Nurgle once each. I have played against Chaos 3 times. I used to have a whine about bashers and DP but have learnt to suck it up and enjoy the games. The Khemri game was scary as I ended up with about 4 players left, thankfully most of the injuries were BH. I spent most of the second half running away.

I do intend to skill up a couple of Line-Elfs with DP as it can be a tactically useful way of removing key opposition players.

I like the randomness of [B], the relative even match ups and that I don't have to wait so long for games.

Furthermore, most of the coaches have been pretty decent. Don't worry too much about the DP, get involved and have fun.
Optihut

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 13:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm of the opinion that every team needs DPs in the blackbox. Since you (for shadow: These are all general yous) don't have to worry about getting blacklisted, you really should take it. People won't play according to some "I have a frail blah team, let's not foul each other" code, so if you make your team supposedly stronger by taking different skills, hoping that you won't be fouled, then you will end up making it weaker, because your opponents are going to use their own DPs.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 13:45 Reply with quote Back to top

footballolb16 wrote:
I play dark elf and yes I have a dirty player. In my opinion its stupid to not have at least 1 DP on your team.

Then I must be stupid, because I don't have one Wink
paulhicks

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 13:48 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:
footballolb16 wrote:
I play dark elf and yes I have a dirty player. In my opinion its stupid to not have at least 1 DP on your team.

naah.....

.... thats not the reason Wink Razz Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 14:22 Reply with quote Back to top

KennethLumina wrote:
I picked up a DP just so he can go and foul other DPs. The box made me pick up my first DP ever.

what exactly do you have against "damage per second"?

--j

ImageImage
Reisender

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 15:55 Reply with quote Back to top

paulhicks wrote:
DukeTyrion wrote:
footballolb16 wrote:

naah.....

.... thats not the reason Wink Razz Twisted Evil

tyrion rats should have one or two dp, undead as well

but you dont seem to be stupid . actually, to +ag on threeeeee gutters makes you smart!

btw, imo dps are necessary in the box, but elves should stick with one and put defensive skills on the other players - blodge helps to survive the box, not dp
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Reisender wrote:
tyrion rats should have one or two dp, undead as well

but you dont seem to be stupid . actually, to +ag on threeeeee gutters makes you smart!

btw, imo dps are necessary in the box, but elves should stick with one and put defensive skills on the other players - blodge helps to survive the box, not dp

You will note that I don't use DP on any on my teams, but that's just a personal preference.

Although, when LRB 5.0 lands, and DP gets sucked out of the system, I will be ready to take over the universe ... Mhwahahahaha ... erm, or something Shocked
duttydave

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

duttydave wrote:
I have a rather nice but squishy AV7 Elf team developing in [B], currently undefeated in seven matches.

OH NO, I spoke too soon. In my last game my elves got smashed to pieces and may need to be retired.

I still outplayed the opposition and won the game despite being heavily outnumbered.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 18:11 Reply with quote Back to top

duttydave wrote:
duttydave wrote:
I have a rather nice but squishy AV7 Elf team developing in [B], currently undefeated in seven matches.

OH NO, I spoke too soon. In my last game my elves got smashed to pieces and may need to be retired.

I still outplayed the opposition and won the game despite being heavily outnumbered.

The team is fine.

From what I've found people foul more in [B] then outside of it. There is nothing bad about this and it's absolutely understandable. Removing the opponents players from the game in anyway makes it easier for your guys to survive. Seeing that there are NO recovery games in [B] you really have to take an active part in protecting your team.

Also DPs make the game more fun. Wink

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah lots of people especially protect their players in turn 17 by fouling guys out in turn 16 - nothing worse than the opposing team beating you up in the pub after the match
Skolopender

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 19:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Reisender wrote:
yeah lots of people especially protect their players in turn 17 by fouling guys out in turn 16 - nothing worse than the opposing team beating you up in the pub after the match

QFT!