42 coaches online • Server time: 15:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What should be done about kill-first [B] teams that make killing their first priority, with scoring a distant second?
1) Nothing - it's a valid strategy
44%
 44%  [ 116 ]
2) Nothing yet - i'm not convinced it's a big deal
21%
 21%  [ 56 ]
3) Contain it - Tweak the scheduling formula and/or incent coaches to win
21%
 21%  [ 55 ]
4) Ban it - it's illegal
12%
 12%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 260

WG|Dark_Angel

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 13:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh noez, it's another thread ...
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 13:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
But come on already. Let's stop pretending to be shocked and apalled that this stuff is going on.

I'm not shocked and not appalled.
I'm just against it and I hope that a rule could eventually take care of that.
At the moment I find DivB quite fun. But, unlike Pac, i can see this atttude spreading and eating away some fun from the DivB.
If that happens, I'm back to R, of course. But I don't see why it is so bad (or so "funny" as you call it) to discuss and hope for a wall to stop the lame flood, instead of simply accepting retreat as the best way to deal with it.

I really don't get the whole "we can't stop them, it's useless to even discuss about if we like them or not. It's gonna happen, we have to swallow it".

This is Borg mentality.

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 13:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
C has tried to partially remedy it by introducing a bash factor into the matchmaking equation, and then there's a big petition saying it should be TS only.

I actually dont mind the BBR part, its fine being punished for being bashy, but the BR part, should people really be punished for winning?

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 13:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Absolutely nothing, it's a valid strategy... Makes my playing to win easier...
PeteW

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 14:07 Reply with quote Back to top

So what if people kill your team and you get an easy win?

If you want to team build, go back to cherry picking in [R]. [B] is about winning, at any cost. If your team gets mauled then you get a lower TS game next round, no big deal. And if some losers want to play to kill then that's fine by me as I get an easy win out of it.

So, I repeat my original point: If you don;t want to get beat up by bashy teams with bashy skills then go and cherrypick in [R]. If someone chooses to foul first and ignore the ball then that's their choice. Remember, we all love paulhicks and he has been doing this for years.

/me hands out tissues for the wimps to dry their tears with

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 14:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I can't really vote here.

I can't decide between "It's a minor problem" and "contain it"

Basically, I am for containing the problem if I think the solution is the right one, and if there can only be an extreme mesure, then I would prefer to let it be.

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 14:24 Reply with quote Back to top

[B] was created to give this lame "coaches" a place where they can build whatever non-winning killing team they want, and not being dodged... so why worry? People who is really competitive and worried about winning should play ranked, and let the psychos play each other in B.
Wotfudboy

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 14:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the problem is basically an attitude or approach to the Blood Bowl game in general. Coaches that have played in actual leagues in Real Life, (and perhaps to a lesser extent in [L] ) know that the primary goal (apart from enjoying the competition and social aspect and banter) is to win and launch your team up the league table.

The trouble with both Black Box and Ranked is that there is no "season"... no promotion or demotion, etc. Therefore a coach is quite within his rights (as far as I can tell from the rules) to play in whatever manner he wishes, as long as it is within the rules. The closest rule I can see in the FUMBBL book is "FUMBBL is a competition league." But I guess even that is open to interpretation.

In the end it's down to a coach's style, and what each coach deems to be "fun". All I know is that my approach is to go for the win. I even stop myself from putting the boot in when I have the game won, or there is little or no realistic threat to the result or my players. I guess I try and play in the manner that I would like to play against. Unfortunately thats not always the case... gentlemanly conduct or sportsmanship is not something everyone shares, or is even obliged to share. But that's life. It would be a boring world if we were all the same.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 14:30 Reply with quote Back to top

hardin0 wrote:
[B] was created to give this lame "coaches" a place where they can build whatever non-winning killing team they want, and not being dodged... so why worry? People who is really competitive and worried about winning should play ranked, and let the psychos play each other in B.

yeahhhhhhhhh

Likewise, tournaments have been created to give games to mass DP khemris and dorfs.

Private league were implemented to create bash fest leagues.

Stunty was created to foul every turn

phew. We sensible competitors, still have ranked to play noobs for competitiveness.

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 14:32 Reply with quote Back to top

PeteW wrote:
So what if people kill your team and you get an easy win?

If you want to team build, go back to cherry picking in [R]. [B] is about winning, at any cost. If your team gets mauled then you get a lower TS game next round, no big deal. And if some losers want to play to kill then that's fine by me as I get an easy win out of it.

So, I repeat my original point: If you don;t want to get beat up by bashy teams with bashy skills then go and cherrypick in [R]. If someone chooses to foul first and ignore the ball then that's their choice. Remember, we all love paulhicks and he has been doing this for years.

/me hands out tissues for the wimps to dry their tears with

Or you can just do the concession thingy, if your lizzies draw mean orcs...
Wotfudboy

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 14:33 Reply with quote Back to top

PeteW wrote:
[B] is about winning, at any cost.

That's the problem... I don't think it is necessarily. Where does it say that?
DonTomaso

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem should be fairly easy to solve. If the BlackBox checks the Blacklist, the problem will sort itself out. Or at least _you_ don't have to face the same opponent twice.

If you Blacklist a player, you should not be set up to play vs them. And if you blacklist them because they play to kill, foul every turn, play naked, crossdress or are just quiet should not matter.
Players blacklisted by a majority will find it difficult to get games, and might or might not change their (in others opinion) evil ways.

The point is that _you_ will not have to endure what you don't want again.

Then again, someone might blacklist everybody with a CR above 150, but that, really, is their loss.

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

What about the tactic of taking out so many players that the opposition can not field 3 players for the kick-off. Then you win by forfeit, right? Has anyone actually managed to do this? Or had it done against them? I've seen several games go close, but never actually quite get there...

And anyways, JanMattys, would this be a valid "strategy" to you?
Grod

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 14:45 Reply with quote Back to top

DonTomaso wrote:
The problem should be fairly easy to solve. If the BlackBox checks the Blacklist, the problem will sort itself out. Or at least _you_ don't have to face the same opponent twice.

If you Blacklist a player, you should not be set up to play vs them.

Surely some players might simply blacklist coaches they recognise as superior players to avoid playing them?
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2008 - 14:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
What about the tactic of taking out so many players that the opposition can not field 3 players for the kick-off. Then you win by forfeit, right? Has anyone actually managed to do this? Or had it done against them? I've seen several games go close, but never actually quite get there...

And anyways, JanMattys, would this be a valid "strategy" to you?

I thought that but in the current rules you don't get the forfeit.
They must play on or concede.

Haven't checked older rules.

Jump to: