32 coaches online • Server time: 09:22
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Elvis_Maximus

Post 5 Posted: Dec 15, 2008 - 20:15 Reply with quote Back to top

So, I realize that FUMBBL doesn't use LRB5, but I couldn't think of a better place to ask for advice then on here.

I'm about to start in an offline league, and after reading team descriptions Chaos sounded like a fun time (of course, being my first team it was probably a poor choice!). As part of starting with the league, I've got 1250k to spend and I get awarded 9 MVP rolls for my team to help get the initial foot in the door; however I'm at a bit of a loss.

Since almost everything I've seen is based on LRB4 (that is, you can only mutate on doubles), and in LRB5 you can mutate on any skill rolls. What is more important to start building up? Should I be going with claws first, as it appears thats the popular choice for LRB4 doubles (http://fumbbl.com/help:ChaosSurvey), or should I be concentrating on getting block on some other players, which is what my initial assumption was. I was thinking of mutating one beastman to have big hands, to make him into a ball carrier.

Also, getting an extra warrior or a minotaur, which would you choose?

tl;dr help me make my Chaos team semi-effective with 9 mvp rolls (provided the dice do anything nice)
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2008 - 22:18 Reply with quote Back to top

The value of claw depends on the armour of the opponents. The claw slices through AV 10 as easily as through AV 7. Block was a must have for almost any developed player in LRB4. LRB5 offers the choice of an alternative path in the art of wrestling.

spubbbba

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2008 - 22:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, get Claw only if you have a lot of AV9 in your league. Otherwise MB is better and plenty of block too.

Some ball handling skills are worthwhile, extra arms has got better in LRB5 and is quite versatile.

With 1250K i'd think you could get 4 warriors, a mino and 7 beastmen and still have a couple of re-rolls, minos are even overpriced in 5 so don't expose them to risks unless you have to, get him juggernaut if he'll be blitzing as it's easy to get 3D's and he won't have to worry about turning over as easily.

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2008 - 00:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't underestimate the fact that every player on that team has access to Guard. Dull, yes. Effective, extremely.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2008 - 01:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Buy a minotaur and give him 4 MVPs... those go on claw and piling on Twisted Evil If you get any doubles for him then take block but otherwise just do as many 3D blitzes as possible and use the piling on to re-roll any stunned results (generally you shouldnt bother re-rolling armour or injuries that take the player off the pitch). A minotaur is quite a powerful piece early on anyway but a minotaur that starts with ever damage amplifier should give people a real shock.

I'd use the remaining mvps to skillup chaos warriors - aim for block/guard on all of them but I'd probably want to get block first.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Elvis_Maximus

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2008 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome, thanks for the advice guys.

Generally the league looks to have low armored teams with only a single orc team and no really other bashy teams (excepting maybe the Norse team), so I guess I don't need claws right away. I guess I'll shoot for getting all my chaos warriors with block. I'm sort of liking the idea of creating the ultimate destruction minotaur... I might even be able to get the model before my first game, so I'll probably hire a minotaur and pump it up with at least piling on, mua ha ha ha (although putting them on the ground repeatedly seems like just asking for it to be fouled out of the game). First game against Ogres, which means I may want an apothecary just in case the dice go badly and I lose an actually valuable player.
clarkin

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2008 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Since you have +250K, definitely buy an apo.
Ullakkomorko

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2008 - 21:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Elvis_Maximus wrote:
so I'll probably hire a minotaur and pump it up with at least piling on,

Don't do this. He'll stay on the ground. Not because of fouling but because of Wild Animal. In fact, don't start with the Mino as you don't want any of the precious free MVP's to land on him.

And take one Beastman with Extra arms. He'll be good for catching the quick passes the other players with just one MVP (the majority) want to make in the first or second game. He can also be your ball-carrier as Extra Arms is +1 to pick-up too, so for a Chaos team Extra Arms is much better than Big Hand, especially at the start. Big Hand doesn't give any plusses to picking up in LRB5, so it's a lot worse than in LRB4. Big Hand is worth the effort only if you have someone with AG4.

DO read the skill descriptions carefully. There's lots of subtle changes.

Last edited by Ullakkomorko on %b %16, %2008 - %21:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
Koigokoro

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2008 - 21:17 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
Buy a minotaur and give him 4 MVPs... those go on claw and piling on Twisted Evil If you get any doubles for him then take block but otherwise just do as many 3D blitzes as possible and use the piling on to re-roll any stunned results (generally you shouldnt bother re-rolling armour or injuries that take the player off the pitch). A minotaur is quite a powerful piece early on anyway but a minotaur that starts with ever damage amplifier should give people a real shock.

I'd use the remaining mvps to skillup chaos warriors - aim for block/guard on all of them but I'd probably want to get block first.

If you don't get doubles block, take juggernaut for mino blitzing Smile

Last edited by Koigokoro on %b %17, %2008 - %00:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
Ullakkomorko

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2008 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok. I actually read the first post through.

I'd consider starting with 4 CW's and 7 Beastmen. The idea behind this is to get as many skills as possible from the very start. For that to happen it's imperative that you have as few players as possible.

With the rest buy an apo and rerolls. If you don't have to spend it all (according to your house rules), save some if you feel you get enough rerolls (I'm thinking 4) with cash to spare. Cash doesn't count towards TV, so you'll get inducements for the first match for the cash you saved and you can buy any extra players after the first match.
Elvis_Maximus

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2008 - 21:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Ullakkomorko wrote:
Don't do this. He'll stay on the ground. Not because of fouling but because of Wild Animal. In fact, don't start with the Mino as you don't want any of the precious free MVP's to land on him.

Wow, shows how much I know, I never even thought about wild animal keeping him on the ground. But damn that would suck, a minotaur throwing tantrums on the ground because he can't hurt anyone. That's why I'm here asking for advice!

Ullakkomorko wrote:
And take one Beastman with Extra arms. He'll be good for catching the quick passes the other players with just one MVP (the majority) want to make in the first or second game. He can also be your ball-carrier as Extra Arms is +1 to pick-up too, so for a Chaos team Extra Arms is much better than Big Hand, especially at the start. Big Hand doesn't give any plusses to picking up in LRB5, so it's a lot worse than in LRB4. Big Hand is worth the effort only if you have someone with AG4.

Doh, didn't read the changes to LRB5 carefully enough; yeah I'll put extra arms on a beast man then, Big hands would definitely be a little on the meh side for a chaos team.

Ullakkomorko wrote:
I'd consider starting with 4 CW's and 7 Beastmen. The idea behind this is to get as many skills as possible from the very start. For that to happen it's imperative that you have as few players as possible.

With the rest buy an apo and rerolls. If you don't have to spend it all (according to your house rules), save some if you feel you get enough rerolls (I'm thinking 4) with cash to spare. Cash doesn't count towards TV, so you'll get inducements for the first match for the cash you saved and you can buy any extra players after the first match.

We're limited to 3 RR at the start, so I'm definitely buying all 3 of those. Maxing FF (or close to) so that I don't get crippled in cash. But I don't have to spend it all, so your approach of keeping the low TV to maximize the inducements is not a bad plan at all.

I'll definitly opt for the extra Chaos warrior then in lieu of a beastman and the apothecary. I guess the real weak point of the Chaos team is the lack of skills, and as such your plan definitely makes sense to attempt to maximize the skills that I get.

The advice is really helping a lot, thanks guys.
Britnoth

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2008 - 22:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Elvis_Maximus wrote:
, and I get awarded 9 MVP rolls for my team

Claw + mighty blow warrior.
Claw + pilling on warrior.

Cool
kn00b

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2008 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't buy a mino at all. they suck. As for skills - you might find it fun and profitable to invest in Extra Arms on at least two beastmen and maybe a warrior. Means they pick up and catch on 2+. A chaos team with ballhandling ability is quite fun. For damage skills, start with mighty blow always (after block) then split into a claw/PO split. Claw boys get PO next, PO boys get Tackle. Always take as much guard as reasonable.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2008 - 00:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Ullakkomorko wrote:
Elvis_Maximus wrote:
so I'll probably hire a minotaur and pump it up with at least piling on,

Actually piling on is a pretty neat skill for a minotaur. The trick is to use it when only for re-rolling stuns into KOs and cas, you tend to spend a relatively small amount of time on the ground for a fairly substantial increase in cas. The minotaur isnt a necessity but it is a pretty fun and powerful option. Apart from that I agree with all the stuff Ullakkomorko reccomended.

Oh, also... I wouldnt take full FF, it is somewhat over-rated in TV. Buy an apothecary instead and you'll probably make up for not getting as much money by saving a player in your first game.

Is there any reason why you arent allowed more than 3 RR to start the league. Does the commish have a peculiar fear of vampire and slann teams?

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Elvis_Maximus

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2008 - 00:34 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
Actually piling on is a pretty neat skill for a minotaur. The trick is to use it when only for re-rolling stuns into KOs and cas, you tend to spend a relatively small amount of time on the ground for a fairly substantial increase in cas.

That's definitely food for thought. Am I right in assuming that standing up would be a separate action from a blitz, so you'd have to roll the 3 or better to have him even stand up? Either way, in the long run I'm definitely bringing on a Minotaur who will learn to crush the opposition Twisted Evil

SillySod wrote:
Oh, also... I wouldnt take full FF, it is somewhat over-rated in TV. Buy an apothecary instead and you'll probably make up for not getting as much money by saving a player in your first game.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to pick up the apoth; but what FF would you recommend? I'd hate to jack up my TV needlessly.

SillySod wrote:
Is there any reason why you arent allowed more than 3 RR to start the league. Does the commish have a peculiar fear of vampire and slann teams?

Hmm... honestly I'm not sure why we're only allowed 3 RR at the initial price. That's a good question though. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask him
 Jump to: