43 coaches online • Server time: 00:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
SHould the TS rebate be removed?
Remove the TS rebate
58%
 58%  [ 109 ]
Keep things as they are
23%
 23%  [ 43 ]
Keep things as they are, but fix the Leader thing
18%
 18%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 186

Eddy

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

clarkin wrote:
Fair enough - you should know!

But in fairness, you don't have to be a bash-and-kill team to use 0RR to get an advantage. Any team that does will get an effective 10TS advantage in their matchups, which means easier games and more wins. I've been doing this with my 0RR dark elves for example.

Yup, but in my (limited) experience, the advantage is stronger at low TS, where a couple MB + DP can make a very big difference. I might be mistaken though.

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

clarkin wrote:
Any team that does will get an effective 10TS advantage in their matchups, which means easier games and more wins. I've been doing this with my 0RR dark elves for example.

Thanks for the data point. How often does your team suffer turnovers?

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 18:55 Reply with quote Back to top

More rerolls = less turnovers, given same play & dice. Obviously.

That isn't the issue. The issue is the TS valuation, which I think is wrong. 0/1 RR teams don't need to be given a lower TS: they already have no TS added for reroll value compared to say a 4RR team. Since TS is used for B matchups, you get easier games than you should.

Naturally playing with 0 RRs (1 with leader) forces you to play very differently, but I think the problem is you are given a better team for your TS than you deserve.
clarkin

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Eddy wrote:
Yup, but in my (limited) experience, the advantage is stronger at low TS, where a couple MB + DP can make a very big difference. I might be mistaken though.

I don't think it's the skills (MB versus block or dodge), but the relative difference between -10TS and your team's TS.

At TS 100 you get a 10% bonus. At TS 200 it's only 5%. So yeah 0/1RR bonus is better at low TS.
westerner

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 19:15 Reply with quote Back to top

clarkin wrote:
More rerolls = less turnovers, given same play & dice. Obviously.

That isn't the issue.

Naturally playing with 0 RRs (1 with leader) forces you to play very differently

I think it's exactly the issue that the 0/1 RR rebate is trying to capture. Your comment about 0RR forcing different play suggests that it is not groundless.

Are you in a position to quantify how many turnovers per game your dark elves experience at low TS and high TS?

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, but playing different does not necessarily mean it's bad. I mean, not having a RR might "force" a playstyle, but then again, having more skills open up more alternatives. They're juste different.

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 19:29 Reply with quote Back to top

That is possible. I do not have first hand knowledge on how effective 0RR would be for DE's, but am guessing it probably hinges on how many turnovers it causes. Hence my curiousity.

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

It's kinda hard to measure, but I definitely think I had an advantage with 0 RRs and leader so far (generally <150TS); ie that the odd turnover / failed blitz on ballcarrier from lack of RRs was more than offset by the skills/players advantage I had over my opponent.
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Clarkin - There is nothing extraordinary about your Dark Elf record that would say the 0 rerolls is helping you. I see a team with twice as many games just short of your record who has 4 rerolls. Dark Elves are a pretty tough team to beat.
Snappy_Dresser

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 22:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Getting back on topic:

I find it surprising that Christer's response was "do it yourself", and if it was, then he's making a mistake. Period.

All other issues aside (which are largely semantics), the 0-1 rebate should be removed, because it adds nothing to the game, and rewards a type of play that makes for a crappier playing experience.

Much like the NHL took steps to change Ice Hockey to make Trap style defence harder to play. The trap was a perfectly legal tactic, but it made for bad hockey, so it had to go.

Real leagues have done this again and again, shaping the game. Given that [B] is not an Open Division, we should take reasonable steps to discourage such behavior. Removing the TS rebate on what is an already imperfect and artificially added mechanism just makes sense.

"I hear that shadow is a douchebag"
-Mr Foulscumm
clarkin

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 23:43 Reply with quote Back to top

funnyfingers wrote:
Clarkin - There is nothing extraordinary about your Dark Elf record that would say the 0 rerolls is helping you. I see a team with twice as many games just short of your record who has 4 rerolls. Dark Elves are a pretty tough team to beat.

I was playing up in TS consistently due to the scheduler, but yeah, it's hard to tell. Just reporting how I felt (that I had an advantage over having 3-4 RRs)
Shrap

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2009 - 06:35 Reply with quote Back to top

clarkin wrote:
funnyfingers wrote:

I was playing up in TS consistently due to the scheduler, but yeah, it's hard to tell. Just reporting how I felt (that I had an advantage over having 3-4 RRs)

After lookin at clarkins teams I'd say that it's hard to tell if teh TS rebate helped him or not at this point...after little more than 10 games. He does say it's helped and I believe he believes thats true anyway. He does seem to be a damn good coach.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2009 - 07:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Now it's official. The TS exploit just became the most successful tactic in the Box.

KhornedBeef's appropriately named Chaos abomination Playing My TS now sports the highest win rate in Blackbox (for teams over 25 games).

20/5/2 in 27 games.
xcver

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2009 - 08:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
Now it's official. The TS exploit just became the most successful tactic in the Box.

KhornedBeef's appropriately named Chaos abomination Playing My TS now sports the highest win rate in Blackbox (for teams over 25 games).

20/5/2 in 27 games.

Dunno if that record really is because of the 0 RR or just a statistical thing after almost 60 retired blackbox teams Razz

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2009 - 08:19 Reply with quote Back to top

7 of those wins were concedes by the way (which happens a lot in B) of which some were even on turn 1...clearly showing that other players seemingly dissaprove playing against such a team.