11 coaches online • Server time: 05:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Can modifying the min. coach limit, allow more games without too much abuse?
Yes. If the parameters can be configured well enough to deny too much abuse.
35%
 35%  [ 37 ]
No. This is too difficult to implement. 6 coaches or no games.
23%
 23%  [ 24 ]
Not sure. I'm not too familiar with blackbox yet.
10%
 10%  [ 11 ]
I don't care.
14%
 14%  [ 15 ]
Pie!
15%
 15%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 103

odi

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2009 - 09:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Sure, change it to 4 coaches, doesnt matter to me. The thing is the problem is the lack of coaches. When B started, there were tons of coaches playing. Trying out B. And they didnt like it and left. I know lots of people left because they got bored playing 5DP khemri all the time. Some people because BR and BBR was used in scheduling. And some people left because of the TS formula needed tweaking.

I dont think the 5DP khemri problem is as bad as it was in the beginning, when people were happy that they could now build an ultra killer team and people would have to play it. These days there seem to be lots of other races in the box. Still, about 50% of the games are vs the usual (Chaos, Dwarf, Khemri and Orcs). But even with softer teams, you just have to cope with it.

The BR in the scheduler I suppose wasnt that bad, since after it's removal, the number of coaches hasnt increased

And then there is the TS thingy, using things like 0RR + Leader, sure let them use that, they'll have 1RR and will prolly have to give me a handycap since their TR is higher than their TS.

But a monthly ranking competition could bring out a lot more players to B, that is the first thing I think we would need. I think that should bring a lot more competitive coaches into B. Which would make the game more fun.

I was wondering, how many active coaches there actually are in B? I guess there are usually about 40 coaches online on the channel. I was wondering how many B coaches play a lot and how many just 1-2 games a week?
Snappy_Dresser

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2009 - 09:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Lithuran wrote:
Yes well perhaps some of us happen to sleep when the "West Coast punters are playing" and would like to play in the box.

And the few coaches that have dropped recently have made it increadbly difficult to find a game.

Oh ranked, yea right. I'm not talking about ranked.

Unless you are simply saying "play during US times or quit the box". Which I suppose is probably the case.

Reading is essential

"I hear that shadow is a douchebag"
-Mr Foulscumm
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2009 - 10:16 Reply with quote Back to top

odi wrote:
The BR in the scheduler I suppose wasnt that bad, since after it's removal, the number of coaches hasnt increased

I guess coaches that left [B] for good just have no incentive to return. I see it myself. I rather play [R] and prep some teams for tourneys instead of having a [B] game.
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2009 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I must say that I was a bit shocked about how slow some coaches I have encountered in [B] played, especially since it is a more or less casual division.

As RL does not provide much spare time for me, I have to consider very carefully whether to activate or not.
Snappy_Dresser

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2009 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
odi wrote:

I guess coaches that left [B] for good just have no incentive to return. I see it myself. I rather play [R] and prep some teams for tourneys instead of having a [B] game.

If all you're doing is prepping teams for tourneys, then Ranked is the division for you.

"I hear that shadow is a douchebag"
-Mr Foulscumm
princevaliant

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2009 - 04:30 Reply with quote Back to top

If Christer is willing to lower the 6 coach minimum to 4 but disallow repeat matches, like Snappy suggested on the first page of the thread, that would be a huge improvement. The 6 coach minimum all too often kills the box for the hours I can play on weekdays, and it's almost always with 4-5 coaches ready to go.

I'm not going back to R even if the 6 coach minimum stays, but it would be *really* great. Smile
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2009 - 12:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Snappy_Dresser wrote:
CircularLogic wrote:
odi wrote:

If all you're doing is prepping teams for tourneys, then Ranked is the division for you.

One question:

Why [B] anyway?

Wouldn't a blackboxish match-up service in [R] suffice? Why is it necessary to have a new division for that?

Just wondering.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2009 - 12:07
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Wouldn't a blackboxish match-up service in [R] suffice? Why is it necessary to have a new division for that?

certainly would for me. ideal if you dip in and out.

Leave [B] to the hardcore uberleet 'all my games are random' crowd, and give R a much needed instant game feature.

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2009 - 12:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankenstein wrote:

Just wondering.

Because all the Elf teams would continue to play picking their games in Ranked, whilst all the Bashing teams would end up in the Ranked match-up service.

In Blackbox, at least you have some agility teams trying to win their games and progress their teams, as there is no other option, in Ranked they can choose thier games, so why would they force themselves to play 5 DP Khemri?

Alot of coaches have said that CR means nothing and that a ranking system from something like Blackbox will show a much closer picture to the truth, except that in Blackbox we are unable to see the ranking Confused
odi

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2009 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankenstein wrote:

One question:

Why [B] anyway?

Just wondering.

I guess that would put the people who play only random games at a disadvantage compared to the people that pick their games to build teams and once in a while would play a random game. Just remove CR from Ranked and switch turn on the BR, that should bring us coaches for B. Atleast I would think that the random games (if you can call it that) enviroment could be way more competitive than open playing in R.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2009 - 13:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I hereby state, that i would compete for the highest BR in the Blackbox Division.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2009 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:
Frankenstein wrote:

Just wondering.

Because all the Elf teams would continue to play picking their games in Ranked, whilst all the Bashing teams would end up in the Ranked match-up service.

In Blackbox, at least you have some agility teams trying to win their games and progress their teams, as there is no other option, in Ranked they can choose thier games, so why would they force themselves to play 5 DP Khemri?

Alot of coaches have said that CR means nothing and that a ranking system from something like Blackbox will show a much closer picture to the truth, except that in Blackbox we are unable to see the ranking Confused

Agrees. I run pro elves and high elves in the box. I wouldn't send them if there was an instant matchup service in R (or maybe I would but I'd rather see B working well).

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2009 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

by the way, there's a stupid effect. If rounds doesn't end in a match, it's a spiral that plays against B...

Can't somebody ask Christer to involve himself in it?

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2009 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
odi wrote:

I would currently prefer to play in [R], but if it comes to 25/55 minutes past, and I still haven't found a game, I'll often enter the box (assuming I haven't got bored and gone to play something else anyway...)
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2009 - 15:35
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:

Laughing

That always cheers me up.

I suppose one day someone might make a case as to why that should be so, but so far every time they have tried it just comes out sounding absurd.

i do see no reason not to show BR though. Might help [B] stay alive for a bit, until a faction decide there is another, supposedly even fairer, way of willy measuring that they think they'd come out on top of.

Jump to: