57 coaches online • Server time: 23:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blackbox Teamsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
tsjeppesen

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2009 - 15:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I really like the WO. It is a very nice tournament with a good story. However, I find that more preference could be given to the Skaven teams. This being their own tournament and one would expect the Skaven to cheat a little. Maybe extra winnings or other small handicaps could be given to the Skaven teams. Or maybe the lucky loosers draw could be change to reserve 1 place for a Skaven team....or or or......Do you have any suggestions which would not unbalance the tournament too much?

Of course not trying to change the current tournament.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2009 - 15:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Mmmmmm, getting 10k extra each game just for being skaven could be interesting.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
AoP-Vimes

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2009 - 15:37 Reply with quote Back to top

tsjeppesen wrote:
Or maybe the lucky loosers draw could be change to reserve 1 place for a Skaven team.

YES-YES... RUN-RUN little ratz. Cheat on da big once.

IM DEFINATLY ON YOUR SIDE BABY!!! Smile

---> I have proven the opposite!
SvenS

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2009 - 15:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Me too! Very Happy
I'd say give the poor rats that faced the Eaters a spot in the final! :p

Ermm what? Me partial?! Nah me just has a huge family... Wink
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2009 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I say move XFL Skaven in december.
The winner of XFL Skaven automatically gets a spot in the final KO of the Warpstone.

It makes sense. XFL skaven becomes a skaven tournament to decide the champions of the race. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2009 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
The winner of XFL Skaven automatically gets a spot in the final KO of the Warpstone.

It makes sense. XFL skaven becomes a skaven tournament to decide the champions of the race. Very Happy

This is a really good idea.
SvenS

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2009 - 06:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Agreed!
Bytez0r

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2009 - 06:45 Reply with quote Back to top

yah. thats a good idear, with the XFL. allso i like the idear with +10k winnings in the turney to skaven teams. maybe allso the qualifyer. Smile
Ehlers

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2009 - 07:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Well then the other tournaments races should get their boots to?

Goblins in Grotty Little Tournament, then an ekstra sneaky goblin or goblin star player, they sure are sneaky

Lustrian Challenge, Lizard should get something too. plus 10k winnings or something else. Maybe a random none Lizard player not able to play in the match because of the hard travel to the Lustrian tournament.

Ulthuan Invitational, when a light face a dark then the light should get something because they are fighting on holy high elves grounds. 10k winnigs or handicap (maybe knuckleduster to deal extra damage to those evilones or iron man simple because bleased and therefore cant leave the pitch) or what ever.

I dont like the idea at all. And if someone says it should only count for Warpstone Open, then I cant see why it should not also count for the other tournamts.
And it will favour some racers over other races, I dont like that. You will see a huge increase in that specific race team for that tournament simple because of the minor advantage you will get.

And the XFL idea... makes sense. But still not something I like.

edited...
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2009 - 08:46 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:

We will not set a specific date for any XFL tournaments. Having only a little time to prepare for them is supposed to make them into more equal opportunity tournaments where people who can't play 20 prep games have a shot at being competitive.

Last edited by Cloggy on %b %14, %2009 - %09:%Jan; edited 2 times in total
Synn

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2009 - 08:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Ehlers makes a really solid point about what happens to other majors. Not only that, but these are major tournies. This is a point that really resonates with me, and I am sure it hits just as hard with lots of other coaches, but are you aware the Fumbbl Cup is literally the largest BB tournament in the world? All of the tournies that occur here are just mind numbingly huge in terms of participants and the quality of the coaches. So while I personally love Jan's idea (face it... it is clever as hell!), I don't think the majors are any place to put a specific advantage towards one team.

Having said that, I do also feel that operating the majors in the "age of the Box" is a unique challenge, and one I think that PC has been very well positioned to succeed at. I think there are two central questions to address:

How do we restore the prestige of the majors?
To what degree can we differentiate the majors without harming the competitive balance?

This WO has been a good indicator of the direction PC wants to move in. The idea of the open entries and 16 team qualifiers is exciting. It also does not specifically favor any one race over another.

I will be excited to see what changes will occur in future majors as we move further on the calendar.

__Synn
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2009 - 14:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you can justify a racial bonus (and I would like to see one) in both the GLT and the WO. Both skaven and goblins are supposed to be sneaky and cheat an awful lot, especially goblins... tbh I dont think anyone would be upset if you gave goblins a massive bonus in the GLT. This would not fit the other majors because:
- High Elves dont cheat that overtly, they just write the rules so they win
- Lizzies arent really well known for their cheating
- FUMBBL Cup dosent really have a racial theme

For the Warpstone Open I think it makes alot of sense for the skaven to steal one of the golden tickets in some way. Perhaps the third ticket could just be randomised between all the skaven that got knocked out or perhaps it could be XFL related (no matter when the XFL was run) but I bet the council of thirteen are more than capable of making sure their pet skaven team go through. Notice that this wont give Skaven teams a direct boost, it just makes the tournament more corrupt and maybe a little more full of rats and hopefully ratcatchers Very Happy

With the GLT you can probably afford to do something a little more extreme because goblins suck so badly at majors and they are supposed to cheat very very badly and blatently. Heck, according to the fluff they are supposed to have even got to the semifinals of major tournaments. The GLT will be have swarms and swarms of goblins in the stands. All those goblins in one place is surely a bad thing and it means you have a collection of the biggest, baddest, stupidest, goblinest bloodbowl nutcases around... so why not let them join their favourite goblin team? I suggest you make all purchases free for goblin teams that enter (and qualify for) the GLT. That would mean each round they get to add a band of shamans, chainsaws, bombs, trolls, and goblins in general to their rosters. This would be broken as hell except... you are still left with a bunch of goblins to take on a team like the Competitive Eaters, the fun thing is that goblins would actually have a competitive chance of actually progressing for a change.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Ehlers

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2009 - 15:17 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:

- High Elves dont cheat that overtly, they just write the rules so they win
- Lizzies arent really well known for their cheating
- FUMBBL Cup dosent really have a racial theme

Who say that High Elves should cheat? I just say that light side should get a bonus. And as you just wrote, then they write the rules. So if writing in the rules of Ulthuan Invitational, then since it is a fight against the dark races then it is only natural that any team that face a dark team should be allowed one of holy bleased knuckledusters to finish off the dark team.
Is this cheating? Not at all, it is a rule.
If you cheat, it means you go against the rules. If you are the rule marker, then you just abuse your powers. You are not cheating.

And if this ever will come in action for majors, then I want a Halfing Major and a Nurgle Rotter Major
Pie Party Tournament.
Each team are able to take a pie thrower with them (aka bomb), but cant be send off by the judge. Who would send a pie thrower off the pitch, it would only mean death of the judge. And beside the judge would be a halfing in anycase, so he would not mind the pie flying into his mouth.
Prize: Add the pie skill to any random selected player (bomber skill)

Grand Infestation Tournament of the Grand High Lord Nurgle
Every player will get a random mutation in the matches they play. Work just like last year birthday, just that cas(s) are permanent
Prize: A rotter will join your team skilled to 31points and 3random mutations will be added to the player.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2009 - 15:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I just say that light side should get a bonus.

They already get that. Being in the light qualifiers means they dont get torn to pieces by claws remember?

Granted you could throw in something on top of that but every bonus should be limited at some point... and I think that the High Elves would stop at the point of a tangible advantage. I cant say I'd be especially unhappy for the light teams to be randomly asigned ome knuckledusters though.

PS, why are you rabbiting on about additional majors?

Last edited by SillySod on %b %14, %2009 - %15:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
clarkin

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2009 - 15:31 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
With the GLT you can probably afford to do something a little more extreme because goblins suck so badly at majors and they are supposed to cheat very very badly and blatently. Heck, according to the fluff they are supposed to have even got to the semifinals of major tournaments. The GLT will be have swarms and swarms of goblins in the stands. All those goblins in one place is surely a bad thing and it means you have a collection of the biggest, baddest, stupidest, goblinest bloodbowl nutcases around... so why not let them join their favourite goblin team? I suggest you make all purchases free for goblin teams that enter (and qualify for) the GLT. That would mean each round they get to add a band of shamans, chainsaws, bombs, trolls, and goblins in general to their rosters. This would be broken as hell except... you are still left with a bunch of goblins to take on a team like the Competitive Eaters, the fun thing is that goblins would actually have a competitive chance of actually progressing for a change.

I like this idea, but I would tone it down to 2 free stars per round for goblin teams randomly picked from Scrappa, Nobbla, Bomber and Fungus. That's +60-80k of illegal weapons for free per round so the gobbos can spend their cash on Ripper & replacements. They would appear on your roster (as long as you have space) on qualification / advancing, so you could still hire Nobbla if you didn't get him randomly for example.
 Jump to: