66 coaches online • Server time: 22:14
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Meech

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2009 - 07:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Going way back to page 1. There was griefing on Fumbbl long before the blackbox.

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2009 - 07:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Meech wrote:
Going way back to page 1. There was griefing on Fumbbl long before the blackbox.

I heard that griefing goes all the way back to september 2005 Smile

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Alacran

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2009 - 07:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah. Well I see one of my problems. I have been operating under the game rules as included with the boxed set that I own, which was purchased in '94 or so. I tried to keep up to date on the rules, so I reread the rules. But apparently the rules that I read since I started playing here also included injuries handled in the manner.

I can now see why injuries are such a big stinking deal now.

I retract my statement.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2009 - 08:17 Reply with quote Back to top

woot! silly is right!

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2009 - 10:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Snappy_Dresser wrote:
amen westerner

Chack my matches: Game Report

I haven't played a lot lately. But actually, since I started Blackbox, I nearly played as much as one year before.

It's not a lot, for sure, 'cause real life and job issues doesn't allow me to play during weeks, but currently Blackbox=100% of my fumbbl game time which is enough for me to care.

Oh and, I said I would try to run a succesful pro elf team and I fail so far :p

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2009 - 10:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankenstein wrote:
There's already more than enough patronizing in blackbox (worst point being the enforced activation of all teams).

Now you seriously want to force people to play certain rosters, because high TS is too bashy? And even if so, high TS will remain bashy as softer races have serious difficulties to maintain high TS anyway.

Correct me if I am wrong, but to my understanding, that's exactly the opposite what blackbox is meant to be.

Certainly [R] is the logical choice for carebears?

for my part, I played most games against bashers and my pro elves didn't get past TS 180

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2009 - 10:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankenstein wrote:
Shadow, I wonder:

Out of over 40 games, why haven't I played any games against dwarfs or chaos dwarfs so far and just once against orcs (fun team even)?

Do we have to force people to play bashy races now? Very Happy

that's why you are biased IMO. You had a hell of a luck with your variety. When I check Shadow's games it's more like what I am living in B.

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2009 - 10:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankenstein wrote:
JanMattys wrote:
Frankenstein wrote:
Nope, what I'm saying is, that ,at a high TR/TS, you will encounter races that perform well at high TR/TS more often than other races, even more so if those races are popular anyway and it's difficult to find casual games with them in [R]. That is not a flaw - that is to be expected.

No.
Elves perform excellently at higher TR/TS... it's just that people are in love with their pixels and hate to see them die and have to rebuild them.
The popularity of Av9 regen teams is a matter of pixel hugging and unwillingness to see the team as a continuous flow of talents. Not a matter of effectiveness.

Elves overperform Chaos at any day past TR 200, and they just outperform Khemri from TR 100 to infinite.

Only true for individual games.

Performance includes the ability to maintain a high TR/TS as well, of course.

No. Performance is a Win/Tie/Loss thing only.
What you call performance is beefing-up.

In terms of performance, elves periodically taking a beating in an even-ts-matchups are perfect. As I said, it's just that some people hate to see their pixels die.
Constant rebuilding while keeping an healthy team is an interesting and challenging part of BB totally out of the bashers' grasp.

A Khemri coach doesn't coach Khemri for their performance ratings. I hope you know BB enough to fully understand that. Khemri are teh suck, when it comes to BB.

Frankenstein wrote:
There's already more than enough patronizing in blackbox (worst point being the enforced activation of all teams).

Now you seriously want to force people to play certain rosters, because high TS is too bashy? And even if so, high TS will remain bashy as softer races have serious difficulties to maintain high TS anyway.

Correct me if I am wrong, but to my understanding, that's exactly the opposite what blackbox is meant to be.

Certainly [R] is the logical choice for carebears?

Awww... you were doing SO well before that last sentence... Which is totally uncalled for.

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2009 - 11:08 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
A Khemri coach doesn't coach Khemri for their performance ratings. I hope you know BB enough to fully understand that. Khemri are teh suck, when it comes to BB.

They are testing a huge nerf on Khemri for Lrb6 because they've been performing too well.
pac

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2009 - 11:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Koigokoro wrote:
They are testing a huge nerf on Khemri for Lrb6 because they've been performing too well.

They performed too well in LRB 5, not 4.
xcver

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2009 - 11:18 Reply with quote Back to top

They also got nerfed a bit fomr LRB 4 to 5 in that the mummies lost their general access. But on the the other hand the Thro-Ra's gained MA6. So there was a bit less of bash and a bit more ability to score.

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2009 - 11:59 Reply with quote Back to top

the BBRC looks at other sources for making their balance calls than FUMBBL. And alot of the problem stemmed from dirt cheap skeletons resulting in a very low TV for the strenght. That`s why the price for skellies was upped and thickskull was given to justify that.
odi

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2009 - 12:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Somehow it seems that since the scheduler likes to set certain races vs some other certain race.
For my skaven the scheduler seems to prefer Orcs and Dwarves.
For my Norse the scheduler loves to give Chaos

But I have figured a way around this problem, the scheduler seems to give quite a nice spread of races if you play gobbos, out of 30 games, only 2 games vs Dwarves and once vs Orcs Very Happy

Out of Orcs and dwarves, I seem to be generally doing better vs Dwarves, but I do prefer playing vs Orcs more than Dwarves. Atleast every now and then Orcs can try to suprise you, Dwarves wont Very Happy
Chingis

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2009 - 14:24 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
Performance is a Win/Tie/Loss thing only.
What you call performance is beefing-up.

In terms of performance, elves periodically taking a beating in an even-ts-matchups are perfect. As I said, it's just that some people hate to see their pixels die.

You're absolutely correct, save I feel from the last part that I have quoted.

Bloodbowl is about winning the game that you're playing, scoring more TD's that the other team. That's the fun of the game, coming up with the best tactics to do this. However, there's another part of Bloodbowl which is also a source of enjoyment to most, if not all, players: growing your team over several games.

If elves (for instance) die too fast, then the second part of the Bloodbowl (the team management bit) may dimish to the point that it is no longer a source of enjoyment. Indeed, during the game, the players enjoyment of that may be spoiled by worrying too much about the team management part of the game, hence spoiling both parts of the game (i.e. he can't go for the touchdown because he knows that if he fails he will get stomped by the 6th dirty player on the opposition team, leaving him with 5 players for the next match).

Elves should die quicker than orcs (for instance), but they shouldn't die too quick, because that just ruins the team management side of the game, and people will obviously want to play a team with which they can experience the entirety of the game. For instance, if elves all die before they even get a skill, there's going to be a problem. If elf teams always lose too many players that they can't reasonably expect to win the next game, there's going to be a problem.

i.e. It's not "My pixels died!" but rather "My pixels died too fast and/or too frequently for me to get any enjoyment out of this part of the game!" that will put people off picking such a team. I reckon people will pick a team where they know that their +MA, +AG, dodging, side-stepping, AV 3, ST 2, leaping touchdown-machine will die, so long as:
a) There's a reasonable chance of being able to train him in the first place;
b) They get a reasonable amount of fun out of him before he gets pounded.
Pirog

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2009 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

While people are piling up bad things about the Blackbox division we also quite recently saw a very positive thing. One of the real douche coaches of the division, who's team names indicated that he just wanted to kill other people's fun, packed up and left. 9 days gone now, since he ranted in his last match report that he would leave.

I think it's a victory for Fumbbl and the Blackbox division!
 Jump to: