46 coaches online • Server time: 17:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Record the length of...goto Post 145 League and Tourn...goto Post killing by fun?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2009 - 12:21 Reply with quote Back to top

So, it has come to my attention that some people consider player that are built to be one-turners are lame. Can they explain why?

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2009 - 12:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Because my dwarfs do not stand a chance vs them Smile
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2009 - 12:27 Reply with quote Back to top

That means I should probably get a few oneturners \o/

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2009 - 12:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Snowmelter wrote:
Because my dwarfs do not stand a chance vs them Smile

With so much tackle, surely dorfs stand a better than average chance vs them?
mymLaban

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2009 - 12:37 Reply with quote Back to top

lol good point Razz
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2009 - 12:44 Reply with quote Back to top

torsoboy wrote:
So, it has come to my attention that some people consider player that are built to be one-turners are lame. Can they explain why?

a) its because they can score without giving the opposing coach a chance to create real countermeasures

b) because its unnecessary to have that fast players to one turn score since you can create a similar effect by pushing

c) using so much movement up on a player is a waste of skills and there are normally much better ones to take...

d) something being lame is not a real argument at all ... keep going dude
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2009 - 12:49 Reply with quote Back to top

e) its kind of a countermeasure against stalling the entire turn and makes stalling teams helpless, wich havily rely on the opponents inability to score in the same halftime

f) its kind of unfair if a player is all the time in the bench and cant be fouled or stopped just to pop up at turn 8
Reisender

i disagree with b) since a push oneturner can be countered easily by good defensive setup -> which leads imo to c) being wrong, too

a) and d) as wreckage said
torsoboy

Wreckage wrote:
torsoboy wrote:

a) its because they can score without giving the opposing coach a chance to create real countermeasures

b) because its unnecessary to have that fast players to one turn score since you can create a similar effect by pushing

c) using so much movement up on a player is a waste of skills and there are normally much better ones to take...

So what you're saying is that they're lame because they're effective?

Fouling and stalling are cool because they're effective yet they don't get the same negative spin, I suspect community double-think here.

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2009 - 12:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Thats the reason which I always hear being quoted. Personally I dont buy it... games have 16 turns so its not like they're hitting an "I win" button without giving you any sort of countermeasure. I think the real reason why people hate them is that they screw up clock control and alot of people arent so hot at thinking of alternative tactics in the heat of the moment, they're too indoctrinated in the whole "stalling is good" thing. In the Warpstone Open I saw an extremely entertaining skaven team that had not one but two oneturners, its made me extremely tempted to make myself a wizard/oneturner team just to piss people off in majors Very Happy

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
toturi

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2009 - 13:01 Reply with quote Back to top

just put some tacklers and diving tacklers on doubles instead a bunch of guards claws dps and you will get nice countermeasures against them.

And btw what are the chances from those teams with one turner (normally av7 ones) of survive more than 3 cnsecutive games against those killer built teams that lacks of tacklers/dt?.

And also interesting all those people that complains against one turners but keep an eye in racial breakdowns in all majors, always orcs chaos and dwarves are the most played races Razz, try something diferent .

Last edited by toturi on %b %18, %2009 - %13:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2009 - 13:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Reisender wrote:
i disagree with b) since a push oneturner can be countered easily by good defensive setup -> which leads imo to c) being wrong, too

a) and d) as wreckage said

hmm... its true that a slower player is less effective but its not true that you necessarily can stop a one turn attempt unless you have lots of sidestepper or stand firmer..... while its relativly hard to push a ma 8 trough on a good defenese and really hard on a ma 7, a ma 9 or 10 player is almost unstoppable...

i think even if you argue arument B is plain wrong on that basis argument C still remains true.... taking movement to develop a movement 11 is a waste of skills and its actually the real reason why i dont have any...
so it gotta be a reason...

torsoboy wrote:

Fouling and stalling are cool because they're effective yet they don't get the same negative spin, I suspect community double-think here.

.....doh... now you just turned your own thread into a fouling, stalling, o -score thread... ..
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2009 - 13:02 Reply with quote Back to top

torsoboy wrote:
Wreckage wrote:
torsoboy wrote:

So what you're saying is that they're lame because they're effective?

Every tactic, which minimizes risk, is lame.

Synn

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2009 - 13:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Natural one turners are different than built one turners. If someone has a MA 11 Gutter or Woodie Catcher, then it is sound to do so. But for skaven coaches in particular to use doubles on VLL and then stack sprint, its just a bad idea. Mainly because they don't need that extra MA to one turn.

A lot of newer coaches see the opportunity of having a one turner and do so quick. They then use it all the time. What happens is that the team becomes unbalanced. Plus, by always one turning, you are always playing defense. That is not a good thing if you are AV 7.....

__Synn
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2009 - 13:05 Reply with quote Back to top

g) a oneturnscorer will accumulate too many spp at once and will be too costly for the team Smile
 Jump to: