62 coaches online • Server time: 21:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blackbox Teamsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Christer

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2009 - 12:13
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

For the record, most of the things were left unchanged. What changed prior as part of this announcement was that the BR and BBR parts were removed from the formula. Ie, 150.0 is used for both coaches as part of the win probability calculation, and the BBR part was removed entirely. This resulted in the distance formula being changed to reflect the removal of the BBR part.

All other weights and modifications were unchanged. It's trivial for me to modify the weights, which in all honesty were just random guesses on what seemed reasonable. For now, I don't see any major reason to change them.

However, the preferred team thing is something I am contemplating on modifying. I would happily implement a way to not prefer any team (easily done from a purely technical perspective), but I haven't figured out a good way to do it in the user interface. And to be honest, the issue is not very high on my list of priorities at the moment.
odi

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2009 - 12:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm just happy we got B, I dont really care that much for the details Very Happy
Chickenbrain

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2009 - 13:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Exactly. B made me start playing fumbbl again. Stop the cherry pickers. Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2009 - 15:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Looking forward to trying this out. Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2009 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't followed the B formula discussion at all, but I really like the fact that there (now?) is a preferred team factor in it. Thanks for all the work!
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2009 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

arg, then I don't care about the change. My biggest issues were on racial variety and on handicaps, and if the other factors were already in place previously, then it's not a fix after all.

About BR/BBR well, I didn't mind actually, it was more a question of intention of blackbox. I didn't mind about that .

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2009 - 18:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Games with handicaps now get a lower suitability score. I believe that's new
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2009 - 18:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Nope.. that has been in the formula. Yet you will see less games with handicaps, I believe. This is because the system doesn`t look for TS mismatches that offset BR mismatches but for TS matches as close as possible and in those handicaps are less common.
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 04:01 Reply with quote Back to top

4. Apply a small random factor (adding 0 - 0.02)
10. For each team that is NOT the preferred team for the respective coach, multiply suitability by 0.95

How do these 2 affect each other? Can the randomness make the preferance less? Your preferred team gets a random 0 and your non preferred get a .02 making the effective non preferred .97? not really sure how that math works. Just throwing it out there.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 08:59 Reply with quote Back to top

If you thing about it - the random factor gives up to 20 points of siutability score. The score is usually in the 800-900 range so even if it`s low and only 700, the non-preferred malus will knock off 35 points.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 09:02 Reply with quote Back to top

^^ smells suspiciously like maff.

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 09:46 Reply with quote Back to top

A couple of questions for everyone (I'm not sure about the answers myself):

Doesn't removing the BBR (Blackbox Bash Rating) give milder conditions for teams focusing purely on slaughter?

If this is the case; wouldn't this formula change benefit those teams extra since the TS rebuff for 0/1 rerolls and Leader favours teams not focusing on ball handling?

Or do we care?
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 09:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:

Doesn't removing the BBR (Blackbox Bash Rating) give milder conditions for teams focusing purely on slaughter?

If this is the case; wouldn't this formula change benefit those teams extra since the TS rebuff for 0/1 rerolls and Leader favours teams not focusing on ball handling?

Or do we care?

Well anyway, if the BBR was per coach and not per team, it was a value that didn't make sense, don't you think?

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 10:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:

Or do we care?

the soel removal of BBR would, but note that BR is removed as well - pure slaughter teams tend to lose games and had low BR, giving milder conditions when ranking was still part of the formula (due to BBR being 0.3 compared to BR)
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 10:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:

Or do we care?

Look at it this way:
Before if a team just killed and not scored, BBR would skyrocket, but BR would plummet. As BR counts ALOT more than BBR, those teams still got the TS advantage on average. Now those teams are paired like all others.

Edit: Damn... too slow :/
 Jump to: