47 coaches online • Server time: 14:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Lithuran

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2009 - 00:33 Reply with quote Back to top

In light of BWR being made public - http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=blackbox
This post was made.

I shall start with the quick answer then rant on with the explination.

How to Increase BWR?

The answer is - Have the lowest TR you can for your TS. Give your opponents handicaps.

(Incidently this means 0 RR teams suck at gaining BWR)

As many of you know my only blackbox team has over 1M cash meaning i get 5 handicaps every game like it or not. I've also won 65% of my games, you would think this would mean my BWR would be up? NO. BWR - 147.18

This mean 1 of 2 things, 1) The TR difference is used in calculating the BWR increase/decrease of a match.
2) Handicaps are not accounted for in the calculation of BWR.

How do I reach this conclusion, well for my BWR to be low and win most of my games then, when I win 2 of 3 gaims I gain less BWR then when I lose 1/3 games. The differences between out teams ate TR (Obviously because of my cash). And -10 to -35 TS because of my handicaps. If the formula included handicaps the TS match would be -15 to +15 TS, And TS would not be a factor in calculation of BWR.

What this means is to gain BWR you need the total oppsite of my team. I.E. The highest TS for the lowest TR. You need to give your opponent handicaps.
Then even a 50% win rate will give you BWR. -on average I'm ignoring the relative coach BWR here.

This means having 0RR, (-TS with no TR change) is exactly what you don't want.

On a more speculative note, higher TS teams should have higher BWR coaches, and wins should be worth more there.
(also pointing out that 0RR teams suck)

Fell free to question any part of this, it is only after all a theory. Looks like ill be needing another team though.
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2009 - 00:58 Reply with quote Back to top

You are matched based on TS after handicaps and the CR formula include TS after handis so I would think BWR is as well. I think this post is poppy cock.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2009 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm guessing that the four game rule has had a significant impact on your BWR. Since your hobgoblins have played against relatively low TS opponents you wont have played many actual scoring games.... and most of the scoring games will have been the hardest you played so they are much more likely to be the games you lost.

The key isnt to optimise TS vs TR. The key is to optimise your TS vs the actual strength of your team. That might mean reducing the handicaps you suffer (although personally I think they are good to have) or it might mean not taking the +St or whatever... but thats they key (along with simply playing well). It usually pretty helpful to find a TR where you team excels and stick to that, I found that vampires hit the spot at TS150ish if they keep hiring wizards Smile

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2009 - 01:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Bottom line you have to win against the stronger opponents to increase it and not lose to the weaker to keep it from decreasing. I assume weaker means TS with handicaps and BWR like the CR forumula:

http://fumbbl.com/help:Ranking
Lithuran

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2009 - 01:36 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
I'm guessing that the four game rule has had a significant impact on your BWR. Since your hobgoblins have played against relatively low TS opponents you wont have played many actual scoring games.... and most of the scoring games will have been the hardest you played so they are much more likely to be the games you lost.

The key isnt to optimise TS vs TR. The key is to optimise your TS vs the actual strength of your team. That might mean reducing the handicaps you suffer (although personally I think they are good to have) or it might mean not taking the +St or whatever... but thats they key (along with simply playing well). It usually pretty helpful to find a TR where you team excels and stick to that, I found that vampires hit the spot at TS150ish if they keep hiring wizards Smile

I have only played 11 games that counted. 5 wins 5 losses and a draw.

I think my orignal point still stands.
westerner

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2009 - 00:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it very unlikely that the ranking formula utilitizes TR. It says in the documentation that it uses TS.

It's possible that the BWR ranking calculation ignores handicaps when calculating TS-weighting, however. In which case keeping lots of cash and giving away handicaps would be a bad strategy if you wanted to maximize your BWR.

I don't think 0RR is relevant to this discussion though, as that's more a question of optimizing win% for a given TS.

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2009 - 01:02 Reply with quote Back to top

A quick look at the top 10 tells me that 8 out 10 coaches have CR of 170+, the last 2 have 169.* and 167.* respectively.

My personal conclusion is therefore that to increase your BWR, you need to be moderately good at the game, above any maximisation of the TS, TR and whatever else

π is aproximately 3.142 times better than any other food
westerner

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2009 - 19:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Additional evidence that the ranking formula may be ignoring handicaps:

Treborius posted that his BWR was very low, yet his TD differential is almost even.

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2009 - 19:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Lithuran wrote:
SillySod wrote:

I have only played 11 games that counted. 5 wins 5 losses and a draw.

I think my orignal point still stands.

Actually, I think it does explain your BWR. If you have won roughly as much as you lost (in terms of games that count) then you would expect your BWR to be roughly 150ish. Yours is 147... not too far off of 150, thats a relatively standard outcome for your set of results.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
odi

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2009 - 19:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe it just means that the BWR formula doesnt really help coaches who try to maximize the amount of easy games for themselves (in this case, having as much cash as possible, since we know the handies arent worth 5TS). It's teams like that which kinda ruin B for the rest of us, since that drives away a lot of coaches from B Sad

And since the 5 first games dont count, your team record is 19/5/15.
westerner

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2009 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod, I think Lithuran has a point.

Only one of Lithuran's past or present [B] teams is over the threshold of 4 games required for it to count in the ranking. It's Hob Horde, which has a 24/5/15 record atm. It doesn't make sense that Lithuran's BWR would be 147 based on that record. The team's TR/TS is 310/167 so he is giving up a ton of handicaps.

Basically I am thinking that dT = Normalized difference in team strength in the ranking formula isn't taking handicaps into account.

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2009 - 20:22 Reply with quote Back to top

odi wrote:
since we know the handies arent worth 5TS

Odi, I wouldn't call this a fact. A majority of coaches polled felt they were worth 5TS or more. You might have a point for teams at the lower end of the TS spectrum.

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2009 - 23:36 Reply with quote Back to top

westerner wrote:
Only one of Lithuran's past or present [b} teams is over the threshold of 4 games required for it to count in the ranking. It's Hob Horde, which has a 24/5/15 record atm. It doesn't make sense that Lithuran's BWR would be 147 based on that record.

Remember that the 4 game rule applies to both teams. That particular team has spent a large amount of time at a relatively low TS - hence he hasnt played very many games that have affected BWR. Actually according to him his BWR-counting record is 5/1/5 Smile

westerner

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2009 - 23:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, assuming the 5/1/5 figures are accurate, I still think a drop from 150 to 147 BWR over just 11 games is quite surprising.

Treborius example is even more stark. Sub 140CR with a TD differential that is virtually even.

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2009 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

3 ranking points is not alot Smile I'm not sure about Treborius results because I havent looked at them.... however, TD differential is not the same as "scoring games won vs scoring games lost".

Jump to: