54 coaches online • Server time: 20:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2009 - 02:43 Reply with quote Back to top

J_K_B wrote:
Mnemon wrote:
I like [B] because it is in line with my playing style and actually fairer on me. I've been taking the first offer made to me in [R] since a few years now, without looking at the opponent team or checking TR/TS difference. The amount of utterly one sided games games that happened once in a while is reduced a good bit.

QFT.

As soon as my [R] teams start creeping up on 200, NOBODY will accect a match request from me. I'm not really that good of a player, and my teams aren't that impressive...they're buff races (Liz, CD) but definitely not bashy (1 DP each, and I'm negative on casualties).

JKB....

you probably have problems getting matches because few coaches want to play a FF7 cdorf team at close to 200TR...at that TR, you need to have a decent FF to be able to afford replacements in the event of a bad match....at lower TRs you can get away with lower FF, but 200 and up is much less forgiving...

as for the lizards...well....

i'd love to kill...er...maim..ummm i mean, play them....Smile

--j

ImageImage
EvolveToAnarchism

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2009 - 02:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Mnemon wrote:
I like [B] because it is in line with my playing style and actually fairer on me. I've been taking the first offer made to me in [R] since a few years now, without looking at the opponent team or checking TR/TS difference. The amount of utterly one sided games games that happened once in a while is reduced a good bit. As such the division doesn't really need anything "more" from my side. I'd love to be able to take my 100+ games teams over from [r], of course, but can understand why it is not a widely loved suggestion.

I'd guess the division could learn some from meta-groups like E.L.F. that promote indirect competition. Introduce seasons, season winners (for each race), a few challenges to achieve - much like the awards that exist in ranked or the medals in faction - meta goals like these. Tourneys may be an option on top of that, but I am not really sure there's room for another tourney division between the official ones in [r] and inofficial ones in [l]. It's great for me as it comes closest to playing in tournaments - not knowing who or what is next and not being picked either; I can't commit to tournament deadlines as the time I have for playing varies from week to week, so this is the closest I can come.

Great minds think alike Smile I agree with almost everything Mnemon has said (except it's my L teams for me instead of R teams)

The new BlackBox page is a great start. I'd love to see the "return" of team tables by Race sorted by BR. Maybe with a "reset" by month.

It looks like B will be another niche division, but with a little attention, it can be even better than it currently is.

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2009 - 03:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Dont have a monthly reset, just require the coach to be active - one game a month shouldnt be too much if they want to show up at the top of the ranking tables.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
westerner

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2009 - 03:58 Reply with quote Back to top

You could have monthly and all time rankings.

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2009 - 04:13 Reply with quote Back to top

My suggestion is to remove CR from ranked. If you want to see how you stack up against the toughest coaches, prove your metal in the box. Currently, CR often only shows you know how to take favorable matches. This would add prestige to the box without causing real harm to the ranked division.
orangetruck

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2009 - 05:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe what [B] needs is a little backstory, a.k.a. fluff. It’s all very well to have the defining principle of [B] being the unseen acceptance of ‘fair’ games, but the mechanics of selecting games seem to be front and center at the moment. That’s fine right now, but I’d like to see that change as the division gets into a more settled state

It’s obvious to me that [B] teams serve at the will of Nuffle in a truer capacity than any other division. Lets start by renaming it [N], and then see which of these teams can deal best with the challenges Nuffle throws at them. This means switching the focus from coaches to teams. Have some team specific stats and rankings, as well as for players. Let them have some shiny medals. These are the true acolytes of Nuffle and should be applauded. Or stomped – your choice.

I'd like to see:
Fluff
Medals
Team/ Player Rankings (Monthly/ Periodic/ Annual/ whatever)
TheCetusProject

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2009 - 12:05 Reply with quote Back to top

treborius wrote:
<snip>
i agree - why would i want to enter a tourney with a B-team when i could build a competitive team in R, well-suited for the tournament-conditions, much easier?
the option wouldn't hurt, but would hardly be attractive for coaches playing in B Sad

Several reasons immediately spring to mind:

- You want to strike a blow against the lame cherrypickers who infest R, corrupting tournaments with their carefully prepared and preserved teams. You don't have to win the tournament with your battle-hardened B team, knocking out just one of these R teams would be worth doing!

- You think that knockout tournaments are a good bit of fun, but realise that having knockout tournaments in B might be a bad idea. But you also don't want to waste your time in R when B is more fun. So why not play B and enter a B team in an R tournament? Sure, you probably won't win, but you probably won't win anyway!

- Imagine if you did win an R tournament with a B team!
Nantti

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2009 - 12:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Kondor wrote:
My suggestion is to remove CR from ranked. If you want to see how you stack up against the toughest coaches, prove your metal in the box. Currently, CR often only shows you know how to take favorable matches. This would add prestige to the box without causing real harm to the ranked division.

What's the point of having a ranked division if there would be no ranking? Also I find it a bit odd to suggest changes to the most popular division when the discussion is about how to make blackbox more popular. In my opinion, that should happen in some other way than making Ranked worse than it is now.

I'm all for rankings, awards and tournaments in blackbox, but let's leave ranked alone. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
Irgy

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2009 - 12:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, add me as a supporter of TV instead of TS (I have a blog with a specific suggestion along those lines)
Allowing [B] teams into [R] tournaments seems better than not allowing them, but in the end it's not fair on the [B] teams and I think it would be better just to have [B] tournaments.
Percentage rather than a fixed value limit on TS (or TV) difference makes more sense to me too.
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2009 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

treborius wrote:
TheCetusProject wrote:
Rather than transfer from B to R, why not just make R tournaments open to B teams as well?

SillySod wrote:
(...)I guess it could work but its not ideal.

i agree - why would i want to enter a tourney with a B-team when i could build a competitive team in R, well-suited for the tournament-conditions, much easier?
the option wouldn't hurt, but would hardly be attractive for coaches playing in B Sad

Many people don't have the time or don't want to 'build' a team. They just want to throw in a team that is close to the TR limit trimming down if necessary.

The more teams you have available the more likely it is that you will have one in good shape for a particular tournament.

Currently playing [B] seems like bit of a waste of time as those teams are not available for any tournaments.

A few [B] tournaments may be good but it is all about luck as whether you will have a team in correct TR/TS range. I really don't see any point in replicating the whole [R] tournament structure in [B].

[B] is good but not as good as [R] and [L] leagues and tournaments.

Without events or at least a monthly Championship there is not really anything to compete for and it s just a quick match feature. Non killer teams find it easy
enough to get games in [R] and [L] teams can get games through their league's chat rooms.

BR rating may be interesting for the handful of coaches near the top but I doubt that it is enough to grip the majority of coaches.
The top Coaches list at least needs to show the top 50 or 100 to encourage us lightweights.

Without BR in the scheduler you don't even get rewarded with a crack at the top coaches for your efforts Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2009 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm all for:
tourneys: If there were tourneys in B, that could even force people to create more teams, since if they only had one it would be stuck in the tourney for a while.

awards and more statistics:
A monthly Championship like in R would be fun, and B games should be counted for awards Very Happy

No transfers from R to B, but I suppose B to R would be fine (kinda like sending a team to retirement in Florida).

But at the moment, I dont really have anything to complain about B, it seems almost perfect as it is.
DonTomaso

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2009 - 13:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't followed B for a while... is it still matched on your skill, as well as the team's TS?

Otherwise I want it based on TS alone.

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2009 - 13:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Number 1 need for (B) to be successful, at least from what I've seen in the posts, is for the results to count. Sure we all play for the love of it, but it's kind of nice to be able to point at your really good rating and say haha. Once that is in place, tournaments are a no brainer.

Evolve to Anarchy, I'm just over in Montreal, perhaps this summer we might get a couple of tt games in. Are you, or do you know Gken1? I think he was from Ottawa. I met him in Toronto for games day some years ago, and here for Brian's Death Bowl.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2009 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

DonTomaso wrote:
I haven't followed B for a while... is it still matched on your skill, as well as the team's TS?

Otherwise I want it based on TS alone.

List of fixed things:

seeding through TS alone
leader + 0 rerolls fixed
DP TS increased
Ranking displayed

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2009 - 14:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the Box as it is, maybe Tourneys help to bring more players ( I almost never played at Tourneys before but... )
Maybe u could try to accurate the BowlBot to low the minimum players required at 2 xD (it´s so painful to get 5 players activated)

As i said before it´s my favorite division to play and any changes to make it better are welcome but , plz, don´t change it too much