25 coaches online • Server time: 02:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
AndyBurns

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2009 - 22:08 Reply with quote Back to top

No sure if this is the right forum, but...

I've been painting up some Dwarves - my first minis in, um, over a decade. I've painted them as Golden yellow as one of the base colours - but I reckon it's too light for a base coat.

Any advice on how I can darken that down? Am I looking at an ink wash? Or repaint with something darker - maybe some sort of mix with a light brown shade?
Grod

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2009 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Never mind. misread question.

Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Grod on %b %14, %2009 - %22:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
PhrollikK

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2009 - 22:38 Reply with quote Back to top

It is never a bad idea to mix in brown/black into the original gold just to get a darker shade. Highlight this with the gold and put a finishing highlight of shiny silver on top (to make it look bling).

Jon_Guitard

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2009 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Rather than a wash, which will unevenly darken your yellow, your could try a glaze. Take a dark yellow or light orange, and mix it with glaze medium, available at any hobby or art shop, and home made with a bit of dish soap I think. It's really a wash, but it coats in a thin sort of see through layer, and doesn't thicken up in the creases.

It's a handy way to blend transitions between colours, and to darken up a model that seems a little too bright
RhYn0

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2009 - 23:41 Reply with quote Back to top

for me personally when I paint yellow I start with a base coat of Bubonic Brown, I'll then use a wash of Scorched Brown (make sure this is very thin), and then add highlights with Golden Yellow and then Sunburst Yellow
Brown36

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2009 - 23:50 Reply with quote Back to top

probably not the most professional tip in the world, but here's my two penneth, use a red ink into the recesses, it's fast, looks quite good (no golden deamon winner) and then go back on the yellow.

Other top-tip, yellow's a horrible colour, try red instead Wink
BroadAsImLong

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2009 - 00:10 Reply with quote Back to top

once you've gone black, you never go back. then some other colours for a nice mix of points of interest.
MSpanke

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2009 - 00:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Brown36 wrote:

Other top-tip, yellow's a horrible colour, try red instead Wink

What!? yellow is one of the better colors to get to look dirty, muddy and all round worn out. Who wants a prestine and pretty uniform. This is Bloodbowl. Let the dirt and blood stand out!
danielcollins

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2009 - 02:42 Reply with quote Back to top

the new GW washes give a much more even finish than inks....Sepia Brown would be what you are looking for
Kinks

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2009 - 02:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Dwarves????

Chop them up and poor red all over them. Die Dorfs!!!!

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2009 - 00:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the advice. Might take a look a a glaze or wash. And yup MSpanke, that's what I was thinking.

Oh, and Red is the other colour for the strip! I like two-tones...
 Jump to: