40 coaches online • Server time: 10:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How do/would you foul in LRB5?
See that lineman on the ground? He is so dead..
18%
 18%  [ 18 ]
Aww poor 120 SPP elf, let me help you up repeatedly with a group of 5 people and tire irons
72%
 72%  [ 70 ]
Oh heavens to betsy, how dare you be so blood thirsty! Can't we all just get along...?
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Risk not worth Rewards (Can't think of a better way to say this one..)
6%
 6%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 97

Elvis_Maximus

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2009 - 23:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello all, its happy funtime strategy question time!

I actually play in a Tabletop continuous league for LRB5. As a Chaos team in LRB5, I obviously need to rely on getting opponents off the pitch to win games. My first few games were total blow outs, mainly due to poor strategies on my parts. But lately I've been holding the games down a little better, usually losing by a touchdown (better than losing by 4 or 5 though, stupid strip ball+dodgy teams).

I haven't been fouling, which I think is definitely contributing to my problems. But with the added risk in LRB5 fouling, plus the nerfing of dirty player, what fouling strategy would you employ? Fouling fairly liberally, or making a few key fouls per game on their most dangerous players? What are your views on this?

As always thanks for the info, and may the blood of elves/rats fill the pitch/all your rolls be double six/etc.
Khudzlin

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2009 - 23:12 Reply with quote Back to top

i'd say foul surgically (when there's something to be won from it)
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2009 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

foul whenever you have an even or better trade. That should be about all the time for SG/DP players.
Brown36

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2009 - 23:24 Reply with quote Back to top

i foul players who are gonna kill my players, players who could get up & assist/block my ball carrier. Thats pretty much it, but maybe it's not in my nature to hit a guy who's down (repeatadly with tyre irons or otherwise) Wink
Mossbeard

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2009 - 23:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know much about LRB5 so i could be wrong here, but they eliminated IGMEOY so I think you should foul every turn.
Elvis_Maximus

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2009 - 23:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Mossbeard wrote:
I don't know much about LRB5 so i could be wrong here, but they eliminated IGMEOY so I think you should foul every turn.

Yeah they eliminated that and replaced it with "on any double roll (armor or injury) your player is ejected" which gives you a base chance of like.. 30-40% ejection on every foul, and dirty player doesn't reduce that chance anymore. In fact, dirty player is now (as far as I can tell) mighty blow for fouls (since mighty blow no longer affects fouls as far as I'm aware).

So in my view risk for fouling is actually higher on each foul than it was with IGMEOY, where there was very low chance of getting ejected on the first foul, with a chance to significantly increase that on your subsequent fouls.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2009 - 00:28 Reply with quote Back to top

LRB5 took all the tactics out of fouling. Good job.

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2009 - 00:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:

Not at all. See my profile. For example AV8 2+ assist worth the foul in LRB5.

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2009 - 00:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:

What tactics?
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2009 - 01:39 Reply with quote Back to top

RamonSalazar wrote:
Mr_Foulscumm wrote:

Not at all. See my profile. For example AV8 2+ assist worth the foul in LRB5.

That's not tactics that is statistics. There is a difference.

The chances of being sent off for fouling is the same for all fouls under the LRB5 rules. In LRB4 that is not the case.

In LRB5 fouling is mindless and boring.

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2009 - 02:02 Reply with quote Back to top

LRB5 fouling is all about pitch numbers rather than precision fouling. Sadly this means you should probably be fouling most things you see hit the floor if the numbers add up and fouling very seldom otherwise.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Khudzlin

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2009 - 02:14 Reply with quote Back to top

the chance of being ejected depends on the target's armour... the lower it is, the more chance you have of being ejected (and the more chance you have of doing damage as well)

ejection chance is 1/6 + prb(breaking armour) x 1/6 if you don't have sneaky git and lower than that if you have it (the first 1/6 would be replaced by #doubles > target's armour/36)
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2009 - 08:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:

Zing!

Got more numbers than the other guy? Got a cheap Lineman?

No reason not to foul. Tactics < what you roll on the multi-foul mindless lotto in 5 when it comes to the boot. Hence the Khemri 6 nerf!

I'd certainly foul plenty more in 5 than I currently do in 4 (with non Elves, I suppose). It's a shame they took some thinking out of the game, but there it is. There are other bits of 5 that are clever. Can't have it all. Wink
PhrollikK

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2009 - 09:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Well on a double (for most teams) you can get a player with the Sneaky Git skill. Foul away! This means you have to roll a double on the armour AND break it in order to be sent off meaning you can have a player taking potshot fouls of opportunity.

This is great for orc teams as their gobbos can take sneaky git as a normal skill and so you can get a cheap foul-monkey in your team! Very Happy

SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2009 - 13:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I updated the tables on my profile with the probabilities of sent off of a Sneaky Git player. You can notice that for example fouling against an AV8 player in LRB5 with a Sneaky Git worth the probs with 2+ assist (0+ if DP), because P(Cas)>P(SnGoff).

I admit that making a player off the field is much harder in LRB5, but with a SG/DP player you can foul in almost every turn wih a low chance to being sent off which makes that player worth to skill up more. Most of you use the once per turn blitz action as part of the tactics, dont you? Fouling become something similar in LRB5 imo. Besides, with well assisted boots you can cause casualties with every 5th foul using a DP which is much lower chance than 37+%, but still enough to use it (especially if you can do it constantly).

Well, and no more ,,dont foul back to not being fouled'' tactics for sissy coaches. Every coach must learn how to foul wisely in LRB5. Oh, and more fouls will cause more blood, even more than in LRB4. Wink