46 coaches online • Server time: 14:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
origami

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2003 - 04:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Now that there has been time to play a few games with the new wild animal rules, what do you think of them?

I've played against one so far, in a WE vs Chaos game. In this game, the WA was pretty much worthless. With one exception, the only blocks that it got were on the line of scrimmage when I kicked off. It spent half the game roaring in rage, and even when it managed to move next to one of my elves, I just dodged away next turn. It did manage to get a number of hits on my tree but...well...that's pretty much equivalent to bashing your head against a brick wall. It certainly didn't hurt my gameplay any.

Maybe these guys are more effective against slower teams that can't dodge away on a 2+. Anybody have any experience with that?
AcheronStyx

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2003 - 04:43 Reply with quote Back to top

well, when they stay up, and around alot of people they're pretty good. i got tentacles on my mino, so that helps ALOT. i suggest it as the first skill for all WA now, it will save alot of grief. The absolute worst thing is going prone though. if you get stunned, expect to stay down at least 3 turns. happened to me 4 times in 2 games. Pro helps alot, but it is also only a 50/50 chance of success, followed by a second 50/50 chance to do anything.
so to my point finally....i'll have to play a few more games at least to get the hang of the new WA, but for now my opinion is they are way less effective than before, but could still be viable players with the right skills ( but that's true for any player )
cataphract

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2003 - 04:46 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah getting stunned sucks

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2003 - 09:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm... played a game last night, and my minotaur stank: spent half the first half rolling aroung picking his nose. on the other hand, i founf that whenever i set up first, my opponent just avoided puttingany players near the WA, so he couldn't do much. this isn't all bad though, i think... i'm going to work on some kind of play where he sets up near the edge of the pitch with a few linemen nearby. then you can either block the linemen's path and get hit or leave my WA on his own and let the linemen through... maybe it'll work, maybe it won't, have to try it and see.
Jugular

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2003 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I think this phase of avoiding WA's wont last very long. Seeing as they have very little chance of developing while they are so ineffective people will begin to put peple with block next to them and with their decreased access to pro they'll be tumbling all over the place. I'm sure people don't avoid Ogres and the like so much but their also pretty unlikely to fail to block you. Add to this the fact that they have low AV therefore when anyone does manage to start blocking with them their not likely to last a great length of time.
cataphract

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2003 - 12:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Jugular wrote:
I think this phase of avoiding WA's wont last very long. Seeing as they have very little chance of developing while they are so ineffective people will begin to put peple with block next to them and with their decreased access to pro they'll be tumbling all over the place. I'm sure people don't avoid Ogres and the like so much but their also pretty unlikely to fail to block you. Add to this the fact that they have low AV therefore when anyone does manage to start blocking with them their not likely to last a great length of time.

you aren't taking frenzy into account, and also the fact they can take assists, they can now get a 3 dice block with 2 assists against the average player and they get a follow up block from frenzy. It is far more dangerous to leave a player next to a WA than an ogre

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2003 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

It realy depends on some luck. Last game, my Mino did not move a SINGLE Square on its own, only by following while blocking.
Another game, I blitzed around with my MA7 Ratogre. I would not have used the blitz in the turn, so I tryed it and succeded.
I gave my Mino Block and Guard as skills, what is quite useful. And I hope for Tentacles.
Its not that bad when your opp. place their players on the LOS avoiding your WA, so you can force them to devide their players into two halfs.

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2003 - 13:40 Reply with quote Back to top

The ability to always block, frenzy giving the 2nd block and not losing TZ. I think this is a good rule that's fairly well balanced.

Tentacles and Stand Firm are high priorities!

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2003 - 14:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the removal of having to move them first means they get a bit of there playability back. You'll no longer lose a game simply because you have a WA on the field and your opponent swarms you. But by the same token, the 50% chance to act is extremely hampering. AS mentioned above, with a combination of skills, they are still effective. Anyone who already has Pro has a good player - it's less likely to be out for the drive just coz it got knocked down once. But without any way for them to get SPPs, no new WA's are ever going to amount to much. You can't get them casualties, as we mentioned - people run away and if you're down, you stay down. You can't get them TD's because with only a 50% chance to move you're always going to use someone else. Pass completions? When is your WA ever going to have the ball??? SO that leave interceptions as about the only way you'll ever earn SPPs.
Kommando

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2003 - 18:17 Reply with quote Back to top

whats all that talk about pro Razz
pro on a wild animal will let you reroll a 4+ on a 4+. ie. youll be able to move 5 times out of 8 instead of a 4/8... really impressive.
Clementus

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2003 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

6 out of 8, but aye. You still need to roll a double to get Pro, Id rather have tentacles to be honest, Far far, better.

Flings Rule!
Kommando

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2003 - 19:23 Reply with quote Back to top

6 out of 8 would be a team reroll
HoboJed

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2003 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Clementus wrote:
6 out of 8, but aye. You still need to roll a double to get Pro, Id rather have tentacles to be honest, Far far, better.

Luckly both of my minotaurs already have tentacles... now I just need to get them stand firm...and like Kommando said, he is correct that pro will only matter 1/8th of the time. It is only needed half the time so that is 1/2... it then only works half the time, so that is 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/4... and finaly the re-roll it grants will only work half the time, so we get 1/2 * 1/4 = 1/8!

BUT, a 1/8 increase is the best you can get with Pro (if the probability is less than half, the lower value of the re-roll starts to outweigh the greater frequency it will occur at. If the probability is greater than 1/2, the lower frequency the re-roll will occur at starts to outweigh the greater value of it).

Of course the reason Pro is used on other players is that it's used to re-roll things that can't be avoided, but the WA roll can and should be avoided, so therefore Pro is still probably not a good skill for a WA (except for helping them stand up of course)...
MickeX

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2003 - 20:28 Reply with quote Back to top

On offence, I find my Mino pretty useful. On defence, he gets to stand at the back where he can't be blitzed on turn 1. Then he either a) moves to a good spot and ties up some opponents, or b) just holds the ground in the middle. I know b) sounds pretty useless, but I've really come to find that it helps against many teams. That's one player covering a possible offense route, and being strong enough to stand there on his own.
jtruhe

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2003 - 22:17 Reply with quote Back to top

My minos with skills have been doing pretty well, to stun one you have to get a bunch of people near them, and that leaves chances for a block if the stay standing. I haven't played a team that dodged away effectively against me yet, but those tentacles really do help. However, out of the 4 or 5 games I have played with the new WA rules I haven't seen many casualties, certainly not close to those I used to get with my blitzing machines. I would like to see someone who started a new team with a mino and see if they are able to even get enough spp to get it block. If not, I would say they have truly become worthless unless you got them skills before the new rules.
 Jump to: