70 coaches online • Server time: 20:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Throw Team Mate Land...goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2009 - 19:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Q: <Rijssiej> Will the communication protocol be revealed so people could make their own client to work with the server?
OzzyOrc

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2009 - 20:03 Reply with quote Back to top

If you get satisfaction out of beating an opponent because they forgot to check the skills on the guy next to them or they didn't notice the tackle zone on their guy then thats rather petty in my opinion. The pleasure in victory should come from beating an opponent who gave you his best game, not from beating them on a silly mistake.
Optihut

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2009 - 20:15 Reply with quote Back to top

OzzyOrc wrote:
If you get satisfaction out of beating an opponent because they forgot to check the skills on the guy next to them or they didn't notice the tackle zone on their guy then thats rather petty in my opinion. The pleasure in victory should come from beating an opponent who gave you his best game, not from beating them on a silly mistake.

ILLEGAL PROCEDURE!
Nighteye

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2009 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
the only assistance you get, per se, is the -2/1/2d block color guide when throwing a block or blitz...

hmm? I must be missing something. Elaborate please
Koigokoro

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2009 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Do you have to 'announce' all actions before moving/rolling BH/anything in the client? (as the rulebook states, but as Skijunkie's client doesn't require you to do now)
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2009 - 21:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Q: <shadow46x2> am i reading this right that there is a limit to how many games the server can host at a time, or is that not true?...if it is, what's the limitation?...however many the server can handle? code-enforced limit?

A: Good question. Actually one goal of the open test phase is to find the X. How many clients can the server handle before its performance gets too bad. I am using Java NIO (non blocking io) and have put some thought into exactly this question so it SHOULD scale pretty well. But of course no server can handle an unlimited number of concurrent requests. Perhaps there is a need to have 2 servers and a load balancer or somesuch. We will work this out. But no, there is no artificial limit in the code.

Q: <Rijssiej> Will the communication protocol be revealed so people could make their own client to work with the server?

A: Nope. I don't think so. I've been thinking about open sourcing the whole thing but not right now. I'm also worried about the intellectual properties of Games Workshop contained in the project.

Q: <Koigokoro> Do you have to 'announce' all actions before moving/rolling BH/anything in the client? (as the rulebook states, but as Skijunkie's client doesn't require you to do now)

A: This works exactly as it did in the old client right now (so you may move first and pass later). Christer whishes for it to be closer to the rulebook (choose Pass action first, then move, then pass) so this may change.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2009 - 22:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalimar wrote:
Q: <shadow46x2> am i reading this right that there is a limit to how many games the server can host at a time, or is that not true?...if it is, what's the limitation?...however many the server can handle? code-enforced limit?

A: Good question. Actually one goal of the open test phase is to find the X. How many clients can the server handle before its performance gets too bad. I am using Java NIO (non blocking io) and have put some thought into exactly this question so it SHOULD scale pretty well. But of course no server can handle an unlimited number of concurrent requests. Perhaps there is a need to have 2 servers and a load balancer or somesuch. We will work this out. But no, there is no artificial limit in the code.

that's kinda what i was getting at....it sounds like it's simply a server resource limitation, which is perfectly reasonable...

i'm not sure how christer has the proxies set up, whether they're on the same machine, multiple machines, etc etc...

i want to say i've seen upwards of close to 100 matches at peak times on here, so it'd be nice to ensure that the new system can handle the same amount of users....

if it's a limitation on server resources, maybe it's a good time to start donating for more servers....

OzzyOrc wrote:

actually, it has nothing to do with wanting to win because someone forgot to check their opponent's skills...

the client gives you *everything* right in front of you....if you are too short-sighted to take half a second to see what your opponent has, that's not your opponent's fault...that's yours...

obviously, if you're not taking the moment to check the opposition, then you're not giving your best game, so why should it matter how you get beaten?...

--j

ImageImage
Koigokoro

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2009 - 22:18 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
obviously, if you're not taking the moment to check the opposition, then you're not giving your best game, so why should it matter how you get beaten?...

--j

But then again for all those able to do the math, showing the odds straigth away makes the game faster.

But then again if 4 min time rule will be enforced, being able to think and count fast would start being worth more again.

I think making skills noticeable as clearly as possible makes the game more pleasant to play.

Animated tails and tentacles ftw!
Sinner

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2009 - 22:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Koigokoro wrote:
shadow46x2 wrote:

--j

But then again for all those able to do the math, showing the odds straigth away makes the game faster.

But then again if 4 min time rule will be enforced, being able to think and count fast would start being worth more again.

I think making skills noticeable as clearly as possible makes the game more pleasant to play.

Animated tails and tentacles ftw!

Ummm, without wanting to hijack here, but:
In order to play a good strategy you need to check the opposing players anyways as you need to plan where to put your assists. As far as I can see the client only tells you odds for the currently acting player.

So a good player will always scan every player (or will rather do that on opponents turn) and develop his blocking/blitzing/fouling/passing strategy accordingly.

This of course excludes high str teams that just point and click Smile though I admit that point, click and kill is a nice combo, heehee

BTW. great work

Question: Odds will only be displayed for current players, right? And you will not get an odd for a pass with passblocking players and interception attemps but for just the pass?

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2009 - 22:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Q: <Sinner> Odds will only be displayed for current players, right? And you will not get an odd for a pass with passblocking players and interception attemps but for just the pass?

A: The odds are displayed within the Movement Squares and those are shown only for the Acting Player and only for the coach who's turn it is. A pass shows its odds on the range ruler directly and those odds include tacklezones, players with Disturbing Presence etc. It does NOT include players with Pass Block as those have not moved yet.
Lakrillo

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2009 - 22:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Q: Will the pass ruler be judged in the wrong way, as it is in Skis client, or will it judge the rules as per the rulebook. That the whole square will have to be within the limit. It was a little hard to judge from your picture.
Dakkon12

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2009 - 22:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Looks great Kalimar! Thanks for your effort! I would be happy to test it as well amongst many others, im eager to try and get LRB 5 going on FUMBBL.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2009 - 23:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Barre wrote:
I certainly hope this does not stay in the client, know what you have to roll is half the skill of moving a player.. "whoops forget about prehensile tail did you... bad luck!"

I don't know about the current iteration of the rules, but it always used to be the case that models with mutations had to have them visibly modelled, else they couldn't use them! Wink
SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2009 - 23:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Great job, Kalimar!

Q: Does actual block dice results (for example SKULL;POW/SKULL for a 2d block roll) logged by the client? Would be fine for seeing them in replays.

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2009 - 00:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Q. I'm so totally up for being a tester. Can we make teams now ready for the big day? For example will the LRB5 division teams be the ones that are used or will it be a new division created for testers?
 Jump to: