23 coaches online • Server time: 05:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What should you have done in this situation?
Take the risky 3+ dodge roll for the blitz.
21%
 21%  [ 15 ]
First throw the ball to the catcher.
20%
 20%  [ 14 ]
Throw the ball to empty space out of reach.
17%
 17%  [ 12 ]
Just walk with the thrower.
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
Foul in turn 16 for the second casualty instead of scoring.
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Disconnect because the apo failed to safe the ag5 blitzer.
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
Dodge the match because he had 3 Claws.
11%
 11%  [ 8 ]
Retired the nigglers before!
14%
 14%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 70

Mastergabber

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2009 - 20:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I have seen more topics like this, but this match was in [R]anked and not in a tournament (I played High Elves versus Chaos.) I started very lucky but the odds reversed in the second half. In my 7th turn of the second half I was doubting to "secure" the 2-1 win, or go for the 3-1 score.

I had a ST4 thrower in my backfield, in range of two Beastmen which had a chance to score. I could go for an immediate long bomb (no Accurate/Strong Arm) to a Catcher in a tacklezone, who then could dodge and score. I chosed another option: A dodge in a tacklezone, a straight dodge and 2 GFI's to blitz the opponent away. However, the 3+ dodge failed with Dodge re-roll.
Opponent blitzed my thrower down, but I Dump-Offed the ball to empty squares. Unfortunately the pass was inaccurate and the crowd threw the ball into range of a third (AG3) player who succesfully passed the ball to the blitzer who walked to the endzone: 2-2. I had one turn left, but failed the trial for a chainpush-oneturner.

So my question is, did I decided right and what should you have done? Does it depend on whether is is a tournament or just a [R]anked game?
WindexChugger

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2009 - 20:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, seeing as your failed a 3+ with reroll, I think you would have fumbled the pass...so you were doomed from the beginning.

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2009 - 20:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't done the math on the distance of the pass but I think I would have dodged the catcher out from the tackle zone and run into the end zone. then I would hve moved my thrower up the field trying to get him in a position to make a throw without interceptions to either the catcher or the Lineman Velvet for a hand off, to the catcher
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2009 - 20:42 Reply with quote Back to top

He had only two turns to score, so I wouldn't have even bothered to try and score when you received the kick off. Just stay back with your players, pick up the ball and make a cage and there's pretty much nothing he could've done.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2009 - 21:06 Reply with quote Back to top

You should do what Random Oracle said. But I voted...

Pass to the empty square.
After standing up all of your players to exert the maximum amount of TZ's. Had you moved your Thrower forward 6 squares with no GFI you could have Thrown a Short Pass to an empty square (5 more squares). You would be rolling only 1 time at 2+. The ball should have been thrown near to your Lineman and the sideline careful as not to have it go out of bounds or bounce to a defender.

You opponent with all AG3, no rerolls and no skills like Pass, Catch, or Sure Hands would have been forced to 2D Block away your Lineman, Pickup, Quick Pass or Short Pass (depending on the bounce) [or GFI to get a Quick Pass]... then Catch, then Handoff, then GFI to score.

The situation you left him made it far too easy on him to score.
Vol

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2009 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I play every match to win. Tourney just means I'm willing to burn money on a Wiz.

I agree with Oracle. If you hold back, then you keep them from getting a chance to score. But no, I don't think your plan was wrong. If I were playing a Skaven team, I never refuse to move the ball toward the endzone and I would've done the same thing. It was a fair dodge, but luck got you and it ended poorly.

I haven't looked at the replay, but if there was anyone around free to move toward the thrower, that would be good. Put people around him incase he falls.
Mastergabber

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2009 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Opponent had a reroll, and used it on a GFI before picking up the ball.
And no I had not more players able to move to my thrower except for the one who should blitz near the catcher.
UberEvil

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2009 - 23:54 Reply with quote Back to top

You'd have slightly higher chances of scoring if you had just bombed it to the catcher. You'd have roughly 50% to pull it off if you had a RR
Chewie

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2009 - 00:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Only take the 3+ dodge if you have no other option. Elf teams invariably fail the dodges that matter. Paulhicks' chaos, on the otherhand...
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2009 - 00:10 Reply with quote Back to top

hmm i looked at the game and it was indeed a very bad situation.. chaos had covered practically everything and seeing a way out needed me to check it twice.... anyhow you could have moved the passer to the upper corner of your field... just deep enough that chaosplayers from the middleline couldnt blitz him... then the player you used to dodge you could have used to tackle the bestman in the middle ..... to blitz that guy would have also been up for consideration.... even if chaos would have managed to blitz you down from that new position it would have been almost impossible for them to score from there.....

but was indeed not an easy situation and even harder to spot a solution....

the score attempt seems... sry... but no matter how i look at it too unlikley to take the risk....
Vol

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2009 - 00:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Chewie wrote:
Only take the 3+ dodge if you have no other option.

A 3+ dodge is success two times in three. It is the same as a 1db block. Since you had Dodge it is success eight times in nine.
TheSpoonyBard

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2009 - 03:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Aaaand you should only do 1 die blocks if you have no other option. 1 in 9 is risky enough that you should avoid it if possible.

Also, Oracle speaks truths, the smart move would have been to cage and just wait out the clock.

~Robert Wilensky

http://thespoonybard.mybrute.com/
Nantti

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2009 - 07:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Since the kick was so deep, I think on turn 6 you shouldn't have gone for the 3-1 score. Instead of running two players into his half, you should have just pulled back all your players to guard your thrower from his blitz on turn 8.
Zombie69

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2009 - 19:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I would have thrown without the blitz. Your catcher could catch in a tackle zone at 3+ with catch, which was no more difficult than your dodge. However, failing that still leaves the ball lying somewhere upfield, which is much better for you in that situation.
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2009 - 19:46 Reply with quote Back to top

No risk, no fun!

Jump to: