22 coaches online • Server time: 03:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Blackbox Teamsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup IV
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
p4m

Post   Posted: May 22, 2009 - 03:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Some coaches reached the main draw (at least if they wont forget to apply ;-] *blink*) and its about time we take a deeper look, who they are, what they achieved and a lot of blabla...

PeteW
A well known and (at least imho) a very good coach, some call him being a lucker, but you have to force your luck to be successful. He won UI2, FC5 and WO 4, won a lot of qualifers for other majors, current CR-standing is #9, overall win ratio is 68%. Thats a person you have to have on your list when it comes to the topfavourites to play for the win. You wont find him being nervous or unconcentrated, so hope his little daugther will distract him, when you have to face him Wink
PeteW won his Bracket in the "high CR qualifier". His Qualifier consisted of once DE, once HE and orcs in the final. The avarage opponent's CR was 175.7

Ultimate Mr Men there are still some mutations left, but the team isnt as great as it was while participating in WO. But hell, he knows how to play with his team, an overall winrecord of 77.5% is ... astonishing. He might play some games to get some cash or to get some skillz, but this isnt as important as to get some money to buy a wiz vs any basher that might qualify ;-D

Leijonet
another well known coach =) he isn't that often to be seen in a major but his teams are scared(love-hated) all over the ranked league. But his statistics are even more astonishing. overall winratio of 70%, current CR-position is #6. Even if he wont win the Tourney the cas he will do will have an great impact for the following matches.
He won his Qualifier in the old team braket and was the first coach to reach the main draw. Taking out Vmaps and a high developed WEs and the doomy diggers is quite an achievment.
The avarage number of opponent's played games with that specific team was: 279.

Words is in a pretty good shape and i dont think he will play any other matches before the main draw. Twice tents will be a pain for every agilty team. Twice claw, once claw+MB, once claw+rsc will give him the power to cope with every basher. The only disadvantage i see is the lack of cash. But time will prove if that will be a "real" disadvantage.
As an "old" team with 265 games, he knows how to play them and how to cope with any opponent that might come along.
Win record: 68.7%

The last coach is p4m.
Was my 2nd win of a qualifier, where i was pretty lucky Smile Dunno what to write, so if someone want to do just give me a shout.
Right now CR is #22 and my Winrecord is 67%.

Flachpfeifens 4th try is my oldest team and my beloved ones. Quite impressing besides the fact that i love to play with rats, is the negativ cas ratio, which counts [Cas Diff: -751] atm. Whatever you think about teams with coachnames, this team is too old to change that policy Wink
win ratio: 68,5%
My way to the final consisted of Chaos, Vamps and Skaven. The game vs Stuelle's Vamps called lots of people epic, i hope i can give you some nice games like that one in the future too. Right now i'm in rebuilidng phase, so it might be that the team will look completly different, when we join the main draw.
The avarage number of opponent's played games with that specific team was: 143.

Edit:
Malmir got his 2nd major appearance in a row. 2nd time he played his orcs and this time he joined old teams bracket with 156 games played, quite a gamble but he was succesful. He just played around 600 games but has able to win around 67%. CR# is now 341.

Fleetfoot's Revenge I are his team, 59% win ratio isnt that good for orcs, but there are some nice devolped BoBs to be seen.Im not sure, if he will do some rebuilding or trying to build some cash. The chances to lose a high develped BoB are allways there.
His crushing went through 3 elves and impressive cas rolls. 4/9/4 in 3 games... lets hope that wont backslap in the main draw.
The avarage number of opponent's played games with that specific team was: 196.3.

The last match in the old team bracket was played and i would like to congratulate Habeli. He took the chance, like many others, to bring a well known team to the tourney. And i guess its the first evolutionteam that got a spot in a major main draw. Quite astonishing is the fact that this is the first entry for habeli in his bio for tourneys. Thought he played a lot with 1.4 games per day Wink His winrecord is pretty low with 51%, but really good when we take into account that goblins are the most played race in [R]. Due to the fact his CR isnt that high either, #309 atm.

Evolution of Undead pixels are the first team that got on the stony path to glory by evolution. 208 games when they joined the GLT. The win record is low, but that is expected when looking at an evolutionteam: 38.6%. While playing in GLT they faced the Buccaneers, Sleepers and the popes. Im still unsure how Habeli managed to win vs the sleepers, but he defeated the 46TS stronger necros and it was easy to win vs the utterly destroyed elves in the final.
The avarage number of opponent's played games with that specific team was: 708.3.

I'll add the other coaches and teams later Very Happy

Please be sure to give me some feedback of what you liked, what you disliked and so on.

Last edited by p4m on %b %28, %2009 - %06:%May; edited 5 times in total
Ehlers

Post   Posted: May 22, 2009 - 10:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice review.
Have you watched all of their games? And if so, it would be nice if you could give a little more detail of what happened in their games of special moves, good combo moves, really lucky or really unlucky things to happen.

Else keep it up. Sadly I dont have so much time because of a project. So nice to be updated even when you dont have time to watch the specs real time.
Leijonet

Post   Posted: May 25, 2009 - 00:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice write-up. Really liking this so far.

A correction on my road to the GLT though: I faced vamps/CDs/WE, not two WE teams. Keep it up!

Leijonet -Winging justice since 6/9-08
p4m

Post   Posted: May 25, 2009 - 01:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Leijonet wrote:
Nice write-up. Really liking this so far.

A correction on my road to the GLT though: I faced vamps/CDs/WE, not two WE teams. Keep it up!

My bad, ill correct it any second Very Happy
Malmir

Post   Posted: May 25, 2009 - 09:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Like the write ups p4m - I should be honest and admit that my orcs also played the Ulthian where they sank without trace first round Smile
p4m

Post   Posted: May 25, 2009 - 20:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Malmir wrote:
Like the write ups p4m - I should be honest and admit that my orcs also played the Ulthian where they sank without trace first round Smile

harhar Smile
Thats the way of the orc: play, stomp the oppo in the ground and win or lose by a lucky action Wink
And i just checked your wins so far, to much effort to check every major... plz pardon my laziness...
Azure

Post   Posted: May 29, 2009 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Azure Frenzy made it through the qualifiers. The final game was a tough back and forth game. Their best player was niggled in the final game, they have no guard players left and the rumor is that their coach stinks - but they made it Wink
p4m

Post   Posted: May 30, 2009 - 02:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Azure wrote:
Azure Frenzy made it through the qualifiers. The final game was a tough back and forth game. Their best player was niggled in the final game, they have no guard players left and the rumor is that their coach stinks - but they made it Wink

ill add you tomorrow like RC...
but i wont do any comments about smell or odour Wink
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2009 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

/me pokes the thread

My norse go through with a very close 2-1 win over Alibabas scary undead. In the end a minotaur saved the day with a turn 16 blitz taking out the count and eating his trousers. RAWRRR.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
PainState

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2009 - 23:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting P4M....Iam working on my Grand write up for the main draw and our write ups are very similar. I will post in a minute a preview of my write up for all to enjoy, a sneak peak so to speak.

Last edited by PainState on %b %06, %2009 - %00:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
PainState

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2009 - 23:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Milford Dubblebags reporting from Altdorf and the start of the main draw for the GLT V, sponsored by TNT and the Fumbbl competition committee. And of course the Fumbbl title sponsor for all Ranked majors, BUGMANS XXXXXXXX: the beer of Blood Bowl Champions. Also check out your local listings from your local wizard’s guild for broadcasts of all the main draw action on NBC and CBS.

Well it was a hard fought qualifier period with a lot of teams leaving the tournament with bitter disappointment and revenge on the mind for the future. Some upstart teams rose to the top and claimed the qualifiers and of course some of the top coaches bashed their way through and earned their spots in the main draw.

This years GLT main draw will take place in Altdorf the crown jewel of the Empire. The capital is already filling up with fans from across the old world in anticipation of this year’s competition. All the inns, burrows and taverns are already filling to capacity, So if you are going to show up to see the action in person be sure to secure your lodging now, Otherwise you will be sleeping in the streets or down by the wharf. The Imperial Court of Altdorf is sponsoring an opening day ceremony for the who’s who of Fumbbl and of course its invite only so those invites will be highly sought. The competition committee has set up a running party in the row of 100 taverns that will run the entire length of the tournament for all the fans to enjoy. Every night there will be special appearances from local musicians and traveling circus acts for every one to enjoy, FREE OF CHARGE. Also: a new feature that Purple Chest has put together to enhance the Fumbbl experience at the majors is the Fumbbl Gals. A traveling band of the most beautiful women to ever grace a Blood Bowl pitch, but they got talent also; they are made up of the best cheerleaders from all over the Old World. They will be out and about Altdorf handing out promotional stuff and also giving signed posters of the girls in action. So don’t miss out on giving the Fumbbl gals a glance or two. Also some of the more well off teams will be sponsoring their own parties for their fans, so check out your favorite team and contact them for place and time of those special festivals.

Now to the teams that will be taking the grid iron in this year GLT V.

This year qualifiers were changed up, with much fan fare, and in the end the new format was well received and a lot of coaches and fans really liked the new format.

We had the Old teams, Forlorn, High CR and High TR qualifiers. Let’s break these down for all the fans that are just now catching up with the results from the qualifiers and break the winners down and their chances to win the GLT and be crowned the champion.

Old Teams Qualifier

Words Coach: Leijonet CR 182.3
265 Games 156/52/57 291\255
4th main draw appearance, 4 Smack Titles and 1 Speed Freak Title.

Words storms into the GLT main draw ready to wreck some teams and challenge for the title. They are a well rounded Chaos team with no holes and very balanced. The team is guided by 2 beastmen that will plant you into the pitch and take some heads. Hart and Fastidious need to be on their game if Words is going to advance. Can Words lead the Unholy Trinity to their first Majors victory?

Words has a good shot in the GLT but in the end Chaos always seems to come up just a little short in Majors. Let’s see if they can buck the trend and take the title.

Word advanced to the main draw by beating:
Sith Revenge in the final 2-1
Doomy Diggers 2-1
Placated Lust 4-0 in the opening round.

Fleet Foot’s Revenge Coach: Malmir CR 165.52
165 Games 73/41/51 295/247
2nd Main Draw appearance and 3 Smack Titles

Fleet Foot is a powerful Orc team that will bring the “thunder” and really muscle up on the LOS. The LOS is anchored by two stellar BoB’s, Gary Walker and Karl Saunter. If those two get rolling down hill they will put some serious hurt on anyone standing in their way. Fleet Foot is a well balanced team that has a good shot at making some waves in the main draw. Look for the Revenge to be a favorite once the draw is made. Can the Revenge overcome some of the stellar Elf teams that they will likely encounter?

Fleet Foot’s Revenge advanced to the main draw by beating:
Athel Loren Guardians 1-0 in the finals
Way of the Fist 2-1
Odin’s Einheriar 2-0 in the opening round.

Flachpfeifens 4th Try Coach: p4m CR173.06
539 games 321/93/125 180/170
2nd main draw appearance, 2 XFL titles, 2 Speed Freaks Titles and 12 Smack Titles.

Well here come the Ratz!!! Kind of of. Flach goes into the lull between the main draw beat to crap and looking for some serious recovery. If that does not happen then the Skaven will be routed in the first round and sent packing. The team is desperate at this moment to get some players up and running and the core of the team is gutted at the moment. Can the Gutter Runners keep them in the game and challenge that first round opponeet? We will just have to wait and see how the recovery came along. It is very possible that they could be done before it ever starts.

Don’t expect much out of this sorry crew of Skaven at this moment.

Flachpefieifens advanced to the main draw by beating
Ratzinger Todezfeinde 3-2 in the finals
Vcologne 2-1
Ancient Horned Ones 1-0 in the opening round.

Evolution of Undead Pixels Coach: Habeli CR 166.39
211 games 59/48/107 214/193
1st Ever main Draw appearance

Evolution finally breaks through and advances to the main draw. The Pixels look to carry the day on the back of the Count and hopefully get by the opening rounds. They earned some hard fought victories to battle their way through the finals. Unfortunately on paper it looks like the Evolution will probably get taken out early BUT it is a fine achievement for this team. Especially since they were voted the #4 ranked team in terms of popularity in the Hurt/Heal poll last year. If the Evolution are going to make a run they need the Count to be on his game and have Mummium their star mummy be able to carry the team on their backs.

Don’t expect much resistance from the Evolution as they should be “bumped” early in the draw. BUT hey we might get to see first hand an evolving new specimen.

Evolution advanced to the main draw by beating:
Popes of Mope 2-1 in the final
Sleeper in Metropolis 2-0
Blood Sea Buccaneers 2-0 in the opening round.

More coming soon, break down of the other 3 qualifiers, power rankings and some interesting Stats break downs

Last edited by PainState on %b %06, %2009 - %23:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
mymLaban

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2009 - 00:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice one mate adds to the fun of the whole tourney, thanks
Malmir

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2009 - 08:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Excellent write ups Painstate - I really enjoyed reading them.
Habeli

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2009 - 10:27 Reply with quote Back to top

p4m wrote:
His winrecord is pretty low with 51%, but really good when we take into account that goblins are the most played race in [R]. Due to the fact his CR isnt that high either, #309 atm.

I find this sentence quite odd, but that might just be my lack of skill in English.

p4m wrote:

Im still unsure how Habeli managed to win vs the sleepers

The answer is quite simple. All I needed was luck, good dice and astonishing tactics... ; )

Good writeup from the both of you.
Nice to see what people think of the teams/coaches and their chances in the tournament, especially when you are one of them. =)

These kind of writings really add fluff and interest in the tournaments and I'm really pleased to see games/tournaments become more than just results among thousands of others. Keep it up!

ps. PainState could correct "Evoultion of Undead Pixels" Wink
Leijonet

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2009 - 13:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I felt inspired by p4m and PainState so decided to add to the fun by taking a look and giving my two cents on the winners of the High CR qualifiers. Here goes.

High CR Qualifiers

Qualifier 1 Winner
Coach: Nachtogen, CR 171.62, currently #126 on Fumbbl.
Team: Darkhill Miners, 226/230 Dwarf

Team Review
Strenghs: 7 Guard, 5 Mblow, 2DPs is enough to make a dent in most teams defenses. The Miners also have 3 +ST players, two of them with MA6 which gives them a certain degree of mobility that should not be underestimated. A +ST blodge runner gives them a fine ballkeeper, and it is likely Nachtogen will use him as such. 14 players allows for some taking some KOs and cas before losing the ability to field a whole team and also allows them to foul away without having to worry too much about losing numbers. Their relatively low TR (under the circumstances) should allow them to gain the odd handicap depending on the opposition and will give them more cash should they win their first round. A FF of 21 makes them competitive in the kickoff rolls for GTR and Throwing Rock rolls, and five rerolls, while not many, might be enough for the possible OT.

Weaknesses: Four rookies on the team will hurt if they lose a couple of their good players, this is especially problematic considering that both their DPs are well-developed Longbeards with both guard and mighty blow. Especially the loss of these guarders will hurt the Miners and will likely put a hamper on the fouling game. Only 10k in the treasury means no Grim or Zara and no Runesmith, atleast for the first game. No +AG means small chance of a succesful passing game and vulnerability to fireballs.

Overall Team Grade (1-10): 6

Coach Review
Nachtogen makes his second Major appearance in the GLT, but he's also won eight Ranked Minor tournaments. He's been here since january 2004 and played over 2000 games, so noone can doubt his experience. He only had two games to play to enter the GLT as his second round opponent was a no-show, but don't think he had it easy! He took out some strong orcs led by Nantti in his first game and beat the current #1 coach, CircularLogic, in the qualifier finals. Though I doubt his team is strong enough to win him the title there is no doubt that his coaching skill should be respected.

Qualifier 2 Winner
Coach: Azure, CR 182.59, currently #7 on Fumbbl.
Team: Azure Frenzy, 277/237 High Elf

Team Review
Strenghs: 7 blodgers, 3 +ST players, 2 DPs and one AG5 Leap lineelf. Elves always have the potentialy to pull off amazing plays, and Azures team is no exception. The blodgers can be a hassle to teams lacking a lot of tackle, the ST4 elves gives Azure the ability to blitz most obstacles out of the way without needing assists and the DPs can potentially bring key opposing players off the field. The AG5 Leaping elf makes it impossible for their opponents to ever be completely secure and one should never underestimate the power of the Elven Death Move (tm): The -2d leaping blitz into a secure-looking cage, knocking the ballkeeper down and stealing the ball. Two Strip Ball players complete the ensemble with the ability to get the ball from otherwise secure players like the Count of Morg. 90k treasury will likely be enough for an elfteams best friend, the wiz, every round. Finally 15 players allows the team to take heavy losses before it being too detrimental for their overall capabilities, and being High Elves there's always the chance of an one-turn score.

Weaknesses: Two niggles on good players makes the team vulnerable to Virus or just bad luck on the nigglerolls. No guard or Mblow will also make it tough to pressure bashers, or even other elfteams if they've rolled a couple of doubles. Quite high TR won't give them many handicaps and could result in handicaps against them. Only four rerolls is imo a bit low for a team relying on making a lot of easy rolls (dodges, 2+ pickups/passes etc.). Only two tacklers might be a problem vs other elves, or even certain bashing teams.

Overall Team Grade (1-10): 6

Coach Review
Azure too makes his second Major appearance, having also won 11 Ranked minor tournaments. He isn't as old on the site as many others, being here for about a year and a half, but boy has he played a lot of games in his time here! Almost 2500 games in his time here equals some 150 games/month or 3 games/day. Quite an achievement. His way to the GLT took him past the newest full admin, Trog, who was wielding not only a strong DE team but (likely) also the dreaded Admin Client. In the second round skill and luck allowed him to kick the current Ranked tournament manager, PurpleChest, out of the running by winning the coinflip, and finally in the finals he beat coach Pulpo_Fiction and his Undead. Also a worthy contender, but, as with Nachtogen, I do not believe that his team will be strong enough to see him through to the end.

Qualifier 3 Winner
Coach: JackDaniels, CR 184.24, currently #2 on Fumbbl.
Team: Competitive Eaters, 383/287 Dwarf

Team Review
Strenghs: Where to start? The strongest team on Fumbbl right now, and has been for quite some time. The Temple Warrior from the LC gives them a very good ballkeeper. The Beast from the FC the perfect Elf deterrant (also works on most other things), and the rest of the team is in excellent shape. 10 guard, 7 Mblow and 2 DPs gives them clout that few teams can match. 8 rerolls ensures they'll rarely if ever run out, and a whopping 39 FF fives them an automatic win against almost any other team on the kickoff rolls. Even after losing a 160 SPP ST4 Longbeard in their qualifier finals the team is mean like nobody's business, and JackDaniels also has the option of reviving him with his Health Scroll from the FC. It is likely he will do so, but one never knows.

Weaknesses: Few, but there are a couple. Their extremely high TR provides almost any opponent with the maximum of five handicaps, something never to be sniffed at. The team has decent ballcarriers, but all of them except the strange AG4 Troll Slayer are vulnerable to wizards. Also the team, like all dorfs, isn't very mobile and could potentially be outrun by some elven adversaries or challenged in the bashing game by a strong orc/dorf bashing team. Last, but not least: This is a team that always risks the T16 boot, a factor that can't be disregarded.

Overall Team Grade (1-10): 10

Coach Review
This will be JackDaniels fifth Major appearance, having won no less than two Majors. Add to this 20 Ranked minors victories and you're looking at a very experienced tournament coach. Having played some 1600-odd games isn't to be taken lightly either. His road the the GLT led him past coach xcver in the first round, Vorkaaz poor dorfs in the second and finally past PigStar_69, winner of the latest Fumbbl Cup. This rumbling horror of a team led by a very experienced coach is most certainly in the running for the main prize. Will this be the Eaters third Major victory? Time will tell.

Qualifier 4 Winner
Coach: PeteW, CR 181.13, currently #12 on Fumbbl.
Team: Ultimate Mr Men, 268/231 Dark Elf

Team Review
The strange looking Men won the last Warpstone Open and still have a Big Hand Blitzer running around. 6 blodgers, 6 sidesteppers 2 DPs and 3 guarders give them an allround strong feel with a decent spread of support skills in the team. An AG5 Leaping Strip Ball lineelf will be a hassle to any opponent, and the many sidestepping elves will make positional play difficult indeed for the opposition. The team can also potentially one turn score, though they lack a player specifically suited for the task. Very high FF is, as always, a hidden strengh that can't be disregarded.

Weaknesses: Despite it being a strong team there's no denying the Men have seen better days. 13 players and three nigglers might be tough indeed against the bashing power of several other teams in the GLT, and the current lack of cash puts a stop to surprise wizards or replacements. The lack of ST4 players could also be a problem, as bashing holes in enemy lines will be required. As in the case of Azure Flame, their reasonably high TR prevents them from gaining many handicaps against most opponents and could even hit them with handicaps against.

Overall Team Grade (1-10): 7

Coach Review
PeteW is a very skilled coach, and this Major will be his sixth. Not only that, but he has won no less than three of the previous, an unparalelled feat. He has also won 12 minors during his approximately 1600 games on Fumbbl. While it has been claimed that he's the biggest n00b lucker around, it is equally possible that his own claims of "knowing when to risk it big to make it big" is the more correct assessment. In either case it would be unwise to approach any game against him with less than 100% focus. In his qualifier he made it past three strong opponents. Emeyin's DE, Wreckage's HE and finally some mighty Orcs coached by Stonetroll in the finals. Despite this and despite my respect for his coaching skills I think it will be a difficult road indeed for PeteW and the Men if they are to conquer the strong opposition presented to them in this Major, though I have no doubt the potential for it is here.

Leijonet -Winging justice since 6/9-08
 Jump to: