33 coaches online • Server time: 01:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
treborius

Post   Posted: May 23, 2009 - 10:17 Reply with quote Back to top

VampyrSlayer wrote:
The BBox seems to go off less than 50% of the time and in my peak time - AEST - bbtime 0100-1000

i don't envy you Sad

i'm on bb-time and usually play something like 18:00h-24:00h, where the Box is at its peak, but it still happens too often, that you're not being scheduled

i think just 1 minor change would remedy a lot of the problems around that time, though:

BowlBot should just hilite those in the blackbox-channel every time the 5-min-activation-window starts
(i've missed it quite often myself and i'm seeing numerous occasions where others miss and its so annoying when that makes the coaches drop below the limit of 6)

if too many people don't like the hiliting, one could possibly switch it on and off on his profile...
VampyrSlayer

Post   Posted: May 23, 2009 - 10:25 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
We already had discussed that quite a while ago. I can`t remember Christer saying defenitly 'NO', but from his stance I guess he`s not in favor of such a ruling.

You might have noticed, that your idea isn`t the newest either. Many people resent things that restrict their options. It`s understandable. Many people just want to play ONLY the teams they like - fair enough, too. So you should not try to force or prohibit stuff, but set incentives.

For example:
The scheduler adds 6% to the current TS of every team. For each team of a different racial category after the first, this 'bonus' would be decreased by 3%.
Result: Everyone can still make their mono-khemri. But they play up on average more than they play down. Those that have spread out over the categories, will have an easier time.

We would get new coaches, while those who ONLY play dwarves in the box would still stay, because they can continue, don`t have to play anything else and they don`t care about winning anyways.

That sounds like a good idea, but is the bonus too high? Would a 1% reduction in TS for your teams for each different racial category be sufficient? Also what teams are in which racial category?
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: May 23, 2009 - 10:29 Reply with quote Back to top

For categories, check the link.

And yes - the bonus must be noticable. Just 1% doesn`t matter.
VampyrSlayer

Post   Posted: May 23, 2009 - 13:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers - hadn't seen that thread, similar idea, but didn't get much support back then either. I agree the main way to gain acceptance of an idea like this might be to provide incentives for having multiple teams rather than having any restrictions or penalties for not.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: May 24, 2009 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
treborius wrote:
VampyrSlayer wrote:
...a bit more variety in the teams that frequent the box rather than seeing predominately dwarf, cd and khemri.

i don't agree - i've played less than 30 games vs. the 3 races you're mentioning in over 150 Box-games with my active teams - that's even less than 20% Wink

congrats for being the exception and not the rule...

in my 53 games of blackbox, i played 6 dorfs, 10 khemri, and 9 orcs...

that's just under 50% of my matches played against 3 races...

nice variety there....

Nope.

I looked at your last game date. January.

Really the number of coaches got smaller, but IMO different from the B. first stage. IMO, it has changed in between.

Post   Posted: May 24, 2009 - 01:22 Reply with quote Back to top

The inability to play the team I want to play when I want to play it is the reason I no longer play in BlackBox. So I used to make a team and play it until i got tired of it, retire it and repeat the process with the new race, then retire that team sometimes wishing I could go back to one of the teams i retired previously but instead start a new team of that race... and in the end wandered back to ranked to not get any games with my ogres mixed in with occasionally allowing another team to be picked badly just so I could play. Also, I made it 3 matches in stunty before giving up on that too once more.

What was this thread about again?

Post   Posted: May 24, 2009 - 01:59 Reply with quote Back to top

About you failing in the box?
Ullakkomorko

Post   Posted: May 24, 2009 - 07:21 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
I looked at your last game date. January.

Really the number of coaches got smaller, but IMO different from the B. first stage. IMO, it has changed in between.

I agree. The variety in the box seems very balanced of lately.

My last games in the box have been against:

Dark elf, necromantic, skaven, chaos, wood elf, dark elves and orcs.
Deatheart

Post   Posted: May 24, 2009 - 09:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Need Box 2 for stunty only and TR-missing players no other fancy calculations. Where asswoppens and deaths would be enjoyed, expected and some times deserved, 3 coaches minimum so you get a close match not a perfect match.
Calcium

Post   Posted: May 24, 2009 - 09:45 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
We already had discussed that quite a while ago. I can`t remember Christer saying defenitly 'NO', but from his stance I guess he`s not in favor of such a ruling.

You might have noticed, that your idea isn`t the newest either. Many people resent things that restrict their options. It`s understandable. Many people just want to play ONLY the teams they like - fair enough, too. So you should not try to force or prohibit stuff, but set incentives.

For example:
The scheduler adds 6% to the current TS of every team. For each team of a different racial category after the first, this 'bonus' would be decreased by 3%.
Result: Everyone can still make their mono-khemri. But they play up on average more than they play down. Those that have spread out over the categories, will have an easier time.

We would get new coaches, while those who ONLY play dwarves in the box would still stay, because they can continue, don`t have to play anything else and they don`t care about winning anyways.

I agree with this. (Me agreeing with circ? What next???) It seems like a good way around handcuffing coaches team choices. Any suggestion based around limiting team choice/numbers is a dead suggestion.

Post   Posted: May 24, 2009 - 11:38 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:

For example:

Aren't you the guy who didn't like TS penalties when they were CR related?

What makes you think imposing more TS penalties is going to bring people back.

How about having some sort of Championship. i.e. something to play for.
Currently [B] is just about one off games. One off games can be played in any division.

With something to play for you could then award bonus points for using a variety of races. A coach who can win with a variety of races is probably better than a coach who can win with only one right?

Post   Posted: May 24, 2009 - 16:14 Reply with quote Back to top

The box doesn't need to be the most popular division here. We just need a few numbers more so that rounds get played more often.

Post   Posted: May 24, 2009 - 16:19 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah:
Yes, I resent penalties for doing well (read: winning games). These modifications don`t go against the goal of the game, are transparent and easy to avoid.
koadah

Post   Posted: May 24, 2009 - 19:42 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
koadah:
Yes, I resent penalties for doing well (read: winning games). These modifications don`t go against the goal of the game, are transparent and easy to avoid.

But don't really encourage anyone to come back to the division either.

Post   Posted: May 25, 2009 - 02:27 Reply with quote Back to top

TBH the TS in echange for CR thing was never actually a penalty. It just meant you got to play against a different set of teams. I saw it as more of a reward... you got to play games that actually challenged you.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
 Jump to: