81 coaches online • Server time: 22:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Molt

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2009 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

My last lizard team in the box ended up in a vicious cycle of losing a skink every match and never having more than 10 players. Where do you draw the line between playing to preserve your players and playing to lose? I want to build my new team up to 15 players whilst still at a low TR, but do not want to go against the letter of the rules or get into trouble. NOTE THIS IS IN BLACKBOX SO RECOVERY GAMES ARE NOT AN OPTION.

Some of these scenarios are very close to, if not actually breaking the letter of the rules, others are almost certainly legal. Which do YOU think are acceptable? (i will post my own opinions later)

Obviously communicating/agreeing with your opponent in chat how you will play in order to gain SPP is not allowed, that is a different issue NOT being discussed here.

Scenario 1. I notice that my opponent does not prevent my team from scoring and I (WITHOUT discussing this at all with my opponent) likewise do not hinder them.

Scenario 2. On offense I ignore the ball and just protect my own players (WITHOUT discussing this at all with my opponent). My opponent gets the ball and does not blitz me, and goes on to score the next turn.

Scenario 3. On offense I ignore the ball and just protect my own players (WITHOUT discussing this at all with my opponent). My opponent gets the ball and blitzes one of my saurii and in my turn I block them away again. My opponent goes on to score the next turn.

Scenario 4. On defense(WITHOUT discussing this at all with my opponent) I do not prevent him from scoring, and just guard my skinks behind the saurii. On offense I attack normally.

Scenario 5. I do not place a tacklezone on the ball carrier about to score because I do not want my player to be injured.

Scenario 6. during the FIRST and SECOND half I don't stand up knocked down players so they can't be blocked again the next turn. My opponent stalls and chooses not to foul me, scoring on the last turn of the half.

Scenario 7. for 4 turns in the SECOND half I don't stand up knocked down players so they can't be blocked again the next turn. My opponent stalls and chooses not to foul me, scoring on the last turn.

Scenario 8. I try to put just enough pressure on the opponent to make them score, but do not take any risks (eg GFIs or 1 dice blocks) or attempt to blitz the ball carrier.

All these are assuming that its not the last turn of the half.

Last edited by Molt on %b %06, %2009 - %16:%Jul; edited 2 times in total
WindexChugger

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2009 - 16:23 Reply with quote Back to top

umm...what?

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2009 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

what don't you understand? do you think scenario 1 is allowed? what about scenario 2? etc
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2009 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Obviously the not trying to pick up the ball on offense is shat. On defence.....well that really depends on your aim and the situation.
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2009 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Scenario 9. Play halflings and buy 15 players to start with.
Molt

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2009 - 16:30 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Obviously the not trying to pick up the ball on offense is shat. On defence.....well that really depends on your aim and the situation.

thats why i gave different situations Wink

are scenarios 4, 5, and 8 all valid?
Bill_Vestergaard

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2009 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

To me only Scenario 8 is accepteble. but I don't know what is within the rules or not.

But I often go around with a scenario 9 when I play elves against bashers. I play my offence as normal and get in front(I only apply this tactic when I'm in front). going into second half with a 1-0 lead. now I might use a player saving tactic. not standing players up before I have moved all free players and done my blitz, then I just start from one end and dodge away with one player after the other, first those standing up then those lying down. this way I hope either my opponent will go for the win and score early, giving me a shot at offence again, which I play full power again or I can get enough players back and clear of his offence to try a last turn final attack on his ballcarrior. I only use rr on dodging players away when I still got players standing in tacklezones.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2009 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Molt wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:

thats why i gave different situations Wink

are scenarios 4, 5, and 8 all valid?

If you have a chance to score after of course. If your scoring chances are removed then you need to defend. Skaven and pro elves are 2 teams that a good defence is often a defence that takes little casualties and can reply in 1 or 2 turns.
Reisender

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2009 - 16:44 Reply with quote Back to top

scenario 9: score twice and then protect the rest of your players... FF is money, so playing "to lose" or playing and being 90 percent sure to lose doesnt help
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2009 - 20:39 Reply with quote Back to top

While some might be doubtfull, some less, the winning rule is IMO more here to prevent cheating. But in the box, you don't pick the opponent, so IMO, this rule will less been look at.

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2009 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

First, I'd only say scenario 8 is acceptable and even it is a tad dodgy... if you can blitz the ball carrier on 2 dice without a gfi etc then you really should be doing so!

Second, as mentioned, scoring is essential to FF and thus winnings and thus keeping plenty players.

Third, with lizards, you really don't want 15 players. You need to skill the saurii and so 11 players is not unreasonable, maybe 12. Once they've all gained a skill or two you could think about expanding the team to cover against the inevitable removal of skinks.

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2009 - 20:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Man up and play through it without trying to "walk the thin line".
The whole "WITHOUT discussing this" thing is cheesy to me. Communication has several levels, it doesn' t stop at talking or writing.

In conclusion, only scenario 8 is acceptable. Mind you, this is only my opinion. Wink

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2009 - 20:52 Reply with quote Back to top

All but scenario 8 suck. I mean I can understand you want a healthy 15 men squad but the types of games you describe (especially 1-4) are not in the spirit of Blood Bowl at all. I´d hate to play games like this and if you played like this in [B] against me I´d foul the hell out of your players for 16 turns just to discourage you playing like that ever again.
If I were you I´d rather start a new team and hope to get a better start with them.

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2009 - 20:54 Reply with quote Back to top

If you play your offense well, then I think Scenario 4 is also acceptable. Lizards are as fast as Pro and High Elves and nearly as fast as Woodies and Skaven. Playing to win just means you try to get 1 TD more than your opponent, it doesn't say you have to prevent your opponent from scoring. This means, by turn 5-6 in 2nd half you have to switch to a real defense, to either stop him or force him to score immediately so you can have one more shot on the offense.
easilyamused

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2009 - 20:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you should choose scenario 9.

You realise this is a stupid topic, that Bbox is not about team building and start playing to win.