45 coaches online • Server time: 19:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is there anything that can be done to make factions better?
a) Reduce the minimum requirement to 2 games
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
b) Break factions into time zones to get more opponents
18%
 18%  [ 6 ]
c) Both A and B
36%
 36%  [ 12 ]
d) Nothing, factions are fine the way they are
33%
 33%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 33

Mully

Post   Posted: Dec 14, 2003 - 06:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Is there anything that can be done to increase the popularity of the factions?
Mully

Post   Posted: Dec 14, 2003 - 06:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I screwed up the poll and also wanted to list choice e)

e) Keep the minimum 4 game requirement but only update factions monthly. Then you can have a monthly faction champion similar to the monthly Fumbbl champion.

Post   Posted: Dec 14, 2003 - 16:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I would have to say that e) with a 5/10 limit sounds like the good idea because of two reasons:

1) You wont' suffer as much if you don't have as much time a particular week.
2) With more games needed people won't dodge as many matches.

On the other hand:
1) Lots of required games may hurt strong teams that will have a hard time to get enough games to just stay in their faction.
2) My experience tells me that there is a lot of coaches that are happy to dodge themself down a faction as it is...

So I think we might as well keep things the way they are. It works pretty good if you are online a lot.

Post   Posted: Dec 14, 2003 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

It works pretty good if you are online a lot.

AND if most people in your faction are in your time zone. I'm on almost every night at 9:00 PM and everyone in my faction is sound asleep.

Post   Posted: Dec 14, 2003 - 21:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Go back to 1 week and min. 2 games - that allows people who are in 'dead' factions to survive (I've been online every night for 2 weeks and got 3 games from the 5 coaches who were online). 3a has 15/18 teams below the 4 game limit!!! Also, this will quickly weed out the inactive teams. An alternative is to keep the current format and enlarge the factions or allow interfaction games (at the same level).
Mully

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2003 - 02:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm glad 9 users like the way the factions are, those must be the 9 people who got their min games in this period

Here are the teams that met the min game requirements :

Faction #1 - 10 out of 20 teams (50% the pathetic part is this was the most participating faction level)
Factions #2ab - 18 out of 40 teams
Ractions #3abcd - 22 out of 80 teams

I guess if factions are about who has the most time to play all day and get their games in then it works. If it's about getting the best teams in the top factions, it fails.

Based on the declining number of faction games played in the last 10 weeks it appears the users may be getting fed up with the current format as well.
DoubleSkulls

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2003 - 14:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd go for a combination of e) and b). Splitting over TZ helps ensure that more coaches should be on-line when you want to play - and increasing the time frame helps too.

I got a lot of my games by looking through the people in my faction who were online and asking if they were available.

So it would also help if coaches actually used the IRC groups to arrange games - or at least show that they are around and may be interested in a game. If I know an opponent will be free in 15mins I might wait around for the game, rather than starting another game.

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2003 - 15:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Something has to be done to make it take some skill to reach faction 1. There are several teams with more losses then wins and ranking below 150 that still has managed to move all the way up because their competitors haven't gotten enough games in.

To win faction 1 must mean something. I the status of the factions will increase if the time periods are increased. The biggest problem is that most people that start a faction team play intensively at first but then slacks off and makes it easy for others get bumped up. If you just play six games a week you will sooner or later move up because of lack of competition. Very depressing. No one gets demoted because they have played to badly, as there is always at least six teams with less then for games. Sad

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2003 - 19:21 Reply with quote Back to top

maybe just maybe there should be a challenge element aded! i dont know how it would work (maybe on your faction page) but there could be a link which will challenge the coach in question. if the coach declines then the procedure in the LRB can be observed.
you would know when you have a challenge because an appropriate symbol could be added next to your name (like in ladder). people may say what happens if you are challenged and you are away on holiday? a rule could be created stating that you must be prepared to play so many games in faction per month... i dunno. i had a coherent arguement in my mind but it seems to have gone away... i hope you guys know what im trying to point out here!!!
 Jump to: