37 coaches online • Server time: 12:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
quozl

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2009 - 13:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

I hope this is the correct forum for the BOTOCS lrb5/6 client. I'm slightly confused by two, well progressed, lrb5 clients, and amn't sure which one is being discussed here...

Botocs .6 hangs at startup on a Debian Lenny Linux box. Problem is, I believe, because the java app cannot access the sound device - there were no /dev/dsp compatibility devices.

IMO the app should try to use sound, and if it fails, should timeout and continue without sound.

I believe this is the cause as:
Once I installed a compatibility layer, which provides /dev/dsp, BOTOCS worked.
If I lock the sound devices by using another audio app suchs as rhythmbox, the BOTOCS launching lockup returns.
If I launch BOTOCS, disable sound, and then exit, it will no longer lockup if I'm using another audio app.

Another, very minor issue is: BOTOCS expects true/false in the xml to be lowercase. Python represents booleans in string-form as True/False, so I can't simply print a boolean in python to get a suitable match for the XML.
It's very minor, but it would be nice if the BOTOCS xml parser did a case-insensitive comparision on these boolean values.

BTW, I've updated the real-world bloodbowl website http://bloodbowl-ireland.org that I run (fairly modified Nuffle software) to allow exporting teams in the correct XML format for BOTOCS. Thanks a lot for this fantastic client!
Ludovicious

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2009 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

its not the proper place, but im sure an admin will fix this soon =)

Why do you want to print a boolean string? if its a problem im sure there must be a number of compilers that can fix this problem, right? however, I'm new to linux so I might be wrong.

You may solve the sound issue by putting "aoss" in the launch script:

#!/bin/bash

cd /home/klaus/Spil/Blood_Bowl/botocs/Botocs_0.6

aoss java -jar BBowl.jar

exit

/ludo

edit: you need to have the alsa-oss package installed.
quozl

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2009 - 14:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I have it working - I installed the compatibility layer for pulse-audio. Reporting the bug so that it can be fixed.

As to the second thing, I needed to print a boolean value so that a python bloodbowl website I run can more easily export teams in xml format for the client. The default representation of a python boolean as a string is True or False. The BOTOCs client wants true or false.

I've worked around it with a simple if/else, it's not a big deal, I'm just suggesting it would be preferable if it was case-insensitive in this instance.
Ludovicious

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2009 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Good to hear mate, I was under the impression it would still lock up after installing the comp layer.

here is the bug rapport mail: botocs@free.fr to deaf

/ludo
 Jump to: