18 coaches online • Server time: 04:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
maznaz

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 16:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to suggest that B gets a separate tournament administrator to R.

I think purplechest does an excellent job of running tournaments in R, but I don't think he's suitable for the position in B.

For one, I think that the two roles are not suited to the same person, as they could be seen to be competing divisions. What's good for the tourny scene in B might even detract from the tourny scene in R.

For another, purplechest doesn't like the B division, and as such I don't think he will do the division justice. Comments such as:
[15:00] <PurpleChest> im only playing b to give me some creidbility to run the tourneys
[15:00] <PurpleChest> i still couldnt care less about it
Amongst others give credence to that view.

I realise this post will probably be ignored by the site heirarchy, but I just wanted to make my reservations known.
PainState

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 17:01 Reply with quote Back to top

the dreaded vote of no confidence comes out.

I was going to put some some wit and humor in this reply but in the end I just shruged my shoulders and moved on.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Is that you offering to take responsibility, maznaz?
RealMadns

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

He has a point.
maznaz

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I would make a suggestion of how candidates could profer their own proposals, and then a voting system of active B coaches could select who they want to give a fair crack of the whip in the role, if I thought it would make a difference. As it is, I think the selection has been made, and those who play B will have to live with it.

But for the record, I am always willing to put work in myself, rather than just to criticise.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 17:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I disagree. As a tournament admin I see things from a more practical perspective. Heres an insiders view....

If [B} is going to have tournaments then its going to need a team of people to run those tournaments. Applications will need filtering, tournaments will need starting, and deadlines will need enforcing. Things are going to work best if this team is headed by one person who then recruits a team as they see fit. Obviously this makes it imperative that you find someone with good judgement - for choosing which tournaments to run and for selecting and running an appropriate team.

I think that PurpleChest has been great for [R] tournaments because he has good judgement in both these areas. The tournaments hes run have been varied but functional and the Tournament Elite Ninja Pirate Monkeys work pretty well as a team. If he were to be put in charge of [B} tournaments then I would feel confident that they would be well run and fun enough to be worth taking part in. In my opinion that is the most important quality for the new tournaments to have: reliability. People will be swiftly turned away if the tournaments get a reputation for being shoddily run.

The main disadvantage is that (as you say) PurpleChest isnt the biggest fan of the blackbox division. I dont think he hates it nearly as much as it appears from those comments but he doesnt exactly have a passion for the division. Personally I dont think that this is a huge obstacle. Obviously its not ideal but PurpleChest is pretty good at using his team (and the occasional public thread) to generate ideas and finding the gems amonst the grit.

Finally theres the practical sense that you dont want two different teams doing very similar roles - it would make alot more sense to expand the existing [R] tournament team than to create a brand new [B} tournament team. Obviously one team doesnt really want to have two bosses although perhaps [B} could be run by a member of the existing team as an offshoot much like scheduled smacks have their own staff within the team.

As I said though, PurpleChest isnt perfect for the job.... but who is? (I'll discuss this a bit later, gotta go)

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Reisender

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 17:25 Reply with quote Back to top

1) PurpleChest does an excellent job a Ranked tourney boss
2) PurpleChest is a noob, especially when playing Chaos Dwarfs ( Wink )
3) Get a different tourney director is a good idea, cuz of the reasons of "competing divisions" and "too much work for purp"
4)Get a different guy, but only if you get someone as capable as purp who has the same commitment - that might be difficult!!!
5) Speaking in numbers makes mah brain look strcutured
6) Bye
maznaz

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

To clarify again, I think purplechest does an excellent job in ranked tournaments.

If his team (which I have no idea of the constituents thereof) contains B advocates, and ideally at least one principle person other than himself who has at least a significant say on decision making AND is fanatical about the B division, there isn't a problem.

Comments like those I posted are not great PR, however.
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 17:55 Reply with quote Back to top

As another tournament admin, I completely agree with SillySod.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 20:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, having explained why I think PurpleChest will do an excellent job it seems like it might be a good idea to look at the alternatives. I think that Christer has three workable options here, he could:
1) Run it himself, appointing a small team of lackeys to handle the day to day running.
2) Appoint a [B} tournament manager who will create a new team of lackeys.
3) Assign the job to Purplechest who will run it using his existing team.

Exploring those options....

1) This option may be good or bad, only Christer can say. I dont think its an option that hes planning on choosing though since he isnt always around and generally has alot on his plate. I imagine that the LRB5 client, general site maintenance, and real life all keep him pretty well occupied.

2) This could work well if the right person is chosen. It feels like a bit of a waste of time and experience not to use the same team for both but its more important that the new tournament manager has a group that they feel comfortable with and who will be able to do what they want them to do. This is probably the best option if you're looking for something new, radical and different. In my opinion only people with a proven record of running either [R]anked or quality [L]eague events should be considered for the role. People like Pac, Seraphimred, Koadah, Laviak, Cloggy, Flix, or possibly CircularLogic would do the job well if they want the job and have some kind of vision as to the [B} tournament scene should be heading.

3) This could be run directly by the Chest himself or perhaps it could be run by a member of the current tournament team (Rijssiej springs to mind here). If it were to be run directly by PurpleChest then I'm sure it would be great (see my first post). If one of the existing team were to be given the task of designing and running [R] tournaments then that could work well too - we've all been running them a while and work well together so there would be no conflict or power struggle issues. PurpleChests role would be to make sure that the [B} tournament manager was doing there job properly as well as to give support and provide staff as required. This is potentially a neat way around PurpleChests apparent lack of enthusiasm for [B} but it should be approached with some caution - PurpleChest would have to be happy with the arrangement and the candidate would have to have a good eye for ideas and practicality.

Out of the three options I think that the third is the safest and easiest to implement. The last thing anyone wants is for [B} tournaments to get a false start with lots faulty tournament mechanics, inconsistent deadlines, or a general lack of clarity. Whether the third option means PurpleChest running it directly or someone else running it within his team should be up to him and Christer to sort out. Both look very workable though.

PS, I forgot to mention the considerable benefits of a shared banlist. Obviously it can only be shared if the two divisions have similar rules enforced (such as the no concession rule) with comparable penalties. This is much more likely to be enforced neatly and smoothly with option 3).

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Azure

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 20:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Blackbox would be lucky if Purplechest agreed to the added responsibility of running tournaments in B. The only concern I would see is desire/burnout by Purplechest - and that is a question only he can answer.
pizzamogul

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 21:04 Reply with quote Back to top

It's is a well-known fact that it's better to burn out than to fade away.

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 22:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Dad - "What do you want to do with your life!!!!"

Kid - "I wanna rock!"

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 22:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:
Dad - "What do you want to do with your life!!!!"

Kid - "I wanna rock!"

That better not link to Robbie Williams Shocked

Woodstock

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 22:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:
That better not link to Robbie Williams Shocked

Twisted Sister - Were Not Gona Take It

Anyway, despite PC's lack of support for [B] (as some claim), I have no doubt that he and his team will make tournaments in blackbox awesome. Period.
 Jump to: