55 coaches online • Server time: 18:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Getting diced 3 game...goto Post 7s for fummbl?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2009 - 13:38
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Tournaments: Plan [B]

Tournaments have come to [B], with the first application period due to start on 5th August and the kick off for the first [B] tournament scheduled for midnight Wednesday 12th August.

Below is a detailed description of 'Plan [B]' as it stands.

This is cross posted from 'News' to this thread. If you have questions, concerns or even merely abuse, i would rather have them here, for full forum functionality.

B Tournaments.

Certain parameters have to be met in order for tournaments in [B ] to be viable. They need to be open to all coaches in [B]. They need to run with existing site support. They need to be easily understood and to some extent easy to facilitate, and there needs to be some Tournaments without TR cap, as has always been central to the vision of the site.

Importantly we cannot, for now:
Use the scheduler, it is busy doing its task, and is not currently capable of the sorts of tasks asked of it by any suggestion for [B] tournaments, so far, that include it.
Have entry by coach, or by multiple teams. Well, to be honest we could, but it would require very unwieldy workarounds by the admin staff and be very difficult to adminster.
Have fresh draws every round. The code doesnt exist to support it and it also leads to large scheduling problems, as well as requiring far more active administration.

I have also said before that simply porting [R] Tournaments across will not work, as many formats seem redundant in [B], some plain wont work, and some dont have the required pool in [B] currently to be viable. Within these parameters i have devised the best, and most [B] like, formats i can.

There will be 2 formats for B Tournaments:

THE [B] MAJORS
Majors will be held in [B] three times a year, with applications opening in on the first Wednesdays of January, May and September.

They will, for now, be massive entry, straight knock outs, with no TR cap. There will be 1 week scheduled per round. When we have the capacity, then all applicants will be accepted. At year end we will review all three with a hope to differenciate them.

The first, to be run in Spetember, will be a simple straight KO tournament.

The prizes will remain LRB4 compliant. For the first major it will be a simple +1ff and a 100,000 GP prize. There will be no dynamic Gold in the first major.

THE [B] MINORS
The other 9 months of the year will see [B] Minors open applications, again on the first wednesday of the month. [B] Minors will run at three different, as yet un-named, TR ranges. 110 +3D12, 140+3D12 and 170+3d12. At the moment that applications open the weight division will be decided first. Whichever the last weight division to run was, it will be excluded and a random 1-3, 4-6 roll will be made in [B] IRC to decide between the other two. After that the 3D12 roll will be made in [B] and the exact TR cap set. All coaches will then have 1 week to enter a team no higher than the generated TR cap. At the end of that week the Tournament staff will start as many draws of 16 teams as we have applicants for.

The very first, with applications opening on the first wednesday in August, will have its TR cap set using 1-2, 3-4 and 5-6. To get the ball rolling.

I am hopefull that this format will prevent too much pre tournament team pimping, while aware it will never exclude it. Now we can rest [B] teams it seemed important to prevent anyone knowing what the TR cap would be, using this system all you know is that it will be in one of two 33TR ranges. I experimented with 6D6, 2D18 and many other variables, and am happy to consider the rest of this year a 'beta' while we asses the bell curves i have chosen. it is also likely that if/when the division has more coaches/teams in it the base points (110, 140 and 170) may need to be increased with (130, 150 and 180) an easy change to make.

I also hope that as well as attracting new coaches to (and back to) [B] this format will have the beneficial side effect of encouraging active [B] coaches to have more teams, at various levels.

The prizes for the B Minors will be +1ff and a permanent record on your coach profile. And thats it.

Next year we may award points for all 9, or 12, Tournaments and declare a yearly [B] tour champion.

I am pleased to announce that i am not tackling this alone. From the regular tournament admin team i have asked Rijssiej and SillySod to help out, all three of us are [B] regulars, and have added DukeTyrion and Wreckage to the team, while the rest of team may help out, it is my hope this cadre, and possible others with [B] experience, will administer the Tournaments in [B].

Well, thats it. I am happy to answer questions, as i think i have thought it through thoroughly. It is ready to go, seems fun to me and most importnantly of all, feels [B] to me. I hope you feel it is something you'd wish to enter, and that the new Tournaments and formats will help strengthen and deepen [B] Division.

PurpleChest

Last edited by PurpleChest on %b %09, %2009 - %02:%Dec; edited 3 times in total
Pjj

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2009 - 14:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Cools!
PeteW

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2009 - 14:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Ooooo. Well done PC - I think you have lured me back to open play! [B] majors here I come!

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2009 - 14:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice PC! [B] minors here I come!!!
Juff

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2009 - 14:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome news!
Also, whatwhat, we can rest [B] teams? I may be back to the box for a bit Smile
Calcium

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2009 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Fantastic. [B] has been injected with purplechest's steriods, and will now be BUFF!

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2009 - 14:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Cool! Good job PC!

Curro
Calcium

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2009 - 14:54 Reply with quote Back to top

PeteW wrote:
Ooooo. Well done PC - I think you have lured me back to open play! [B] majors here I come!

With an ORC team??? Ugh.

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2009 - 15:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Well done Purplechest, let's hope that more players see the light/blackness and join the true division.
PeteW

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2009 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Calcium wrote:
PeteW wrote:

With an ORC team??? Ugh.

What's wrong with orcs? Surely the best choice for team building and tourny success in an open league?

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2009 - 15:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome, time for some multi team hardcore training.

... I had plans for my weekend too, better change them.
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2009 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

w00t! Thanks PurpleChest! (and the rest of the team!)

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2009 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Please add XLFs, please please please

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2009 - 16:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Might get me back to [B]. It will at least get me to give it another go.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
Calcium

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2009 - 17:12 Reply with quote Back to top

PeteW wrote:
Calcium wrote:
PeteW wrote:

With an ORC team??? Ugh.

What's wrong with orcs? Surely the best choice for team building and tourny success in an open league?

Agreed. I think it's time I played them in the box.