27 coaches online • Server time: 07:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2009 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Greetings, chaps.

On the first weekend in July, I'll be playing the Carrot Crunch, a rather fabbo sounding TT tournament hosted by our very own pigstar-69 and rodders-23.

Being a bit of a tourney newbie, so far I've had a mess around with Undead and Woodies that I've found on e-bay, you know, the good stuff. So now, I'm going to try something rubbish, Nurgle, so called Three Wins or Bust! becuase I think three wins from 6 games would be a really decent result with a pants race.

Any thoughts on what my roster should be? We're talking LRB5, 110k, all stars are fair game, and I can buy skills to start with at 50k. Progression thoughts would be neat too, skills rules are as follows:

"Before game 2 you may give 1 chosen skill to 1 player,

Before game 3 you may give either 1 chosen Doubles skill to 1 player or 1 skill to 2 random players,

Before game 4 you may give 1 chosen skill to 3 players to last the remainder of the tournament."

So, there it is. I've a few ideas as to what might be good, but nothing concrete. All thoughts welcome, and you get a player named after you for the weekend. Will report back on results and a few pictures if I can manage it! Very Happy
Hogshine

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2009 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I took a "pants race" once. 4/1/1 with me coaching, I think you should go for at least 6/0/0 Razz

Do I get a player named after myself for that? Very Happy

(I might come up with some actual thoughts later, BBQ first...)
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2009 - 20:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Pro Elves aren't a pants race, are they? I'd say you did well, but they aren't pants like Nurgle are pants. Very Happy
HotLeadAllergy

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2009 - 20:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Nurgle's not really all that bad a race. If you want pants, why not do Vampires for a bit?
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2009 - 20:24 Reply with quote Back to top

See, I think at base TR Vamps would be easier to win games with than Nurgle.

Anyway, let's not get sidetracked on pants or not pants, or indeed varying degrees of pants(!); I've got the bits to have a go at Nurgle, the race choice is set. Just the lineup is my issue! Very Happy
Hogshine

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2009 - 20:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Pro Elves aren't a pants race, are they? I'd say you did well, but they aren't pants like Nurgle are pants. Very Happy

Ah, the meta-goo comes out early... What models do you have for it, or is anything fair game? I don't think I'd bother with any stars. Maybe the Chainsaw one, but I can't say I'm convinced. You should take Eldril Very Happy

I think perhaps:
Beast (140)
2x Nurgle Warriors (220)
4x Pestigors (320)
5x Rotters (200)
3x rerolls (210)

And then a ff, I guess... I don't know if you want more replacements than this, or if you want any skills. 12 players should probably be enough, as they're all av8/9, and only the Rotters have decay while the others all have regen. For skills, I'd take a couple of blocks for Pestigors, guard on the warriors, maybe block on the Beast for the double?
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2009 - 21:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Is it really worth getting 4 Pestigors at that inflated price? I can only blitz once a turn, afterall.

Anything is fair game, and I guess I'd like at least 12 men. I can't really go wrong with random skills since they <i>all</i> need something! Very Happy

3 RR is a must though, imo. I'm going to eat re-rolls super quick.

The two roosters I've toyed with to date are:

(1) BON, 3 x Warrior, 1 x Pest, Rotters to 13 men, 3 RR and a FF
(2) BON, 2 x Warrior, 1 x Pest, Rotters to 11 men, Brick & Grotty, FF, Coach

Both of which are 13 players, which may be overkill. Confused

I think if I'm going to star, it's the cheapo Ogre with the TTM extra man or the saw...

Interests me you think I should have that many Pestigors though. Are you after the MA, the Horns or the Regen?
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2009 - 21:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I see two ways forward...

1) Turn them into a crap orc team, take block on all the warriors and the beast. Kind of defeats the point of choosing nurgle in the first place but its a lame option so I thought you might like it. I'm unwilling to discuss any specifics of the lame option.

2) Make them a proper nurgle team with lots of guard and tentacles all over the place Very Happy

Potentially you could use the double to get leader but I think you're better served taking the random skills. Even if the skills end up on plebs thats still an extra couple of wrestlers or a DP or something. I'm not a big fan of pestigor in tournaments... one or two is nice but you are paying double in exchange for a potential blitzer.

Beast of Nurgle - 140k - guard (SF if recieve a random)
4 Warriors - 440k - tentacles/guard
Pestigor - 80k - wrestle
7 Rotters - 280k - block/wrestle/surehands
2 RRs - 140k
20k spare

I think you'll want 12-13 players. I'm not sure exactly how many nurgle need or if you can use freshly raised rotters during the game. Having fewer players also increases the chances of getting the random skills to land on the right players.

If you wanted to go nuts on skills you could switch the 20k spare and a pestigor for two skills. That'd give you a big skill advantage early on which could be critical.... 3 guards and 5 St 4+ players will be very tough for dwarfs to handle on game two. If I were you I'd want all four warriors but if you want 3 RRs you're going to have to go for a leader or drop down to three.

Purplegoo wrote:
See, I think at base TR Vamps would be easier to win games with than Nurgle.

Very tough to tell. Perhpas if you actually tried vamps in TT like I keep telling you to ... Wink

I'd offer to lend you some but I'll probably be taking vampires at the crunch. Its been a while since I took them to anything and the rules look fun for taking four vampires.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jun 10, 2009 - 08:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm with you on the Pestigors. Double bubble for a point of Ma seems madness to me.

I like that rooster and the direction; but 2 RR's and no option of 3 'till game 3 worries the pants off of me. If I have to RR a pickup T1 trying to break through with 1 RR and a million 8/9 blocks sounds like a fool's errand! Although; I am anticipating slipping backwards on day one to have a better chance day 2...

You're certainly added to the drawing board, mind.

And I'll take Vamps one day, maybe, I just have this team and they're getting a go this time.
PigStar-69

Post   Posted: Jun 10, 2009 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

use 12 carrots
Grod

Post   Posted: Jun 10, 2009 - 21:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Am I right in assuming that injuries are not carried from game to game (this is a common Tourney rule)? In that case, regeneration is less important that it otherwise is (since the player must leave the field anyway), especially if you have enough players on the roster, while the "Decay" negative trait in this case is not a problem at all.

What about something like:
1x FF 10
3x RR 210
4x Warriors 440
2 x Pestigor 160
7 x Pestigor 280
-----------------------
That is, unless you have your heart set on a Beast of Nurgle...

Oscar Wilde
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jun 11, 2009 - 19:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I do kinda have my heart set on the BoN.... Isn't he the whole point? Confused
MonicaS

Post   Posted: Jun 11, 2009 - 19:14 Reply with quote Back to top

You must field brick and grotty in a tourney. You simply must!
Unstoffe

Post   Posted: Jun 11, 2009 - 21:24 Reply with quote Back to top

OK... having played Nurgle at the last two GTs, what can I say except... they suck Smile
The total lack of either block or ball skills hurts a lot at low TV, and what should be their saving grace, the BoN, is, I am sad to say, not worth the money. The major nerf that tentacles get with LRB5 means he is essentially an overpriced troll.
What you do have going for you is that Rotters are cheap, and in a GT style progression where injuries don't carry to the next game, their worst feature, decay, is removed, making them your best value player.
Looking at the 100k roster I took to the first GT, it consisted of :
3 Warriors
2 Pestigors
7 Rotters
3 RRs
1 FF
This actually worked pretty well, it was handy to have a reserve, and once the Warriors had block they became a very useful core to the team. Add a frenzy Pestigor and you can clear a path for your cage effectively, while on defence there's enough strength there to hold up a bashy opponent. Three players with DA is enough to cause problems for passing teams too. The Rotters are fine for ball handling... in fact, as that GT progressed I started to think, why do I have a second Pestigor, you can only blitz with one?
Which led to the second roster :
1 Beast
3 Warriors
1 Pestigor
6 Rotters
3 RRs
0 FF
This did not work so well. No reserve was a problem, av8 tends to mean at least one player missing by the second half, and as I say the BoN was useless. I think tents worked once all told...
If I took them again, I think I would consider modifying the first roster a bit, replacing the 2nd Pestigor with two Rotters. Thirteen players would make fouling a better option, after all these are 40k players, if one is sent off and takes even something like a Longbeard with him, it's a good deal.
But you have an extra 10k? Well... if your heart is set on Brick & Grotty, they are pretty cool it's true. Would require losing further 19k from the roster though - I guess, one Warrior and two Rotters would do it, unless you dropped a RR - and you need those RRs.
Personally, I would look elsewhere on the stars list, and go for this :
Max Spleenripper
3 Warriors
1 Pestigor
9 Rotters
3 RRs
1 FF
Just because it's a chainsaw Smile With 14 players it's not the end of the world that he only plays one drive. No idea how well it would work, but I think the team is solid even without him.
Skills, like I say block on the Warriors, frenzy for the Pestigor, Rotters you can choose from DP, or extra arms for a more reliable ball handler.

Whew... hope that's enough. They still suck mind you - oh, and be prepared to be continually going 'Foul Appearance' when your opponent rolls a block, everybody forgets.

Post   Posted: Jun 11, 2009 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
I do kinda have my heart set on the BoN.... Isn't he the whole point? Confused

Yes. Dont listen to the fools that want you to field a particularly ugly undead team Razz

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
 Jump to: