29 coaches online • Server time: 12:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Balle2000

Post 5 Posted: Sep 04, 2009 - 11:58 Reply with quote Back to top

[18:35] WillOdin: why do they need more than 2 coaches if they could have a good match up?
[18:36] freak_in_a_frock: to stop groups of friends playing each other lots by making sure they activate in slow periods with similar teams

Nothing is more frustrating in the Blackbox than seeing two perfectly suitable teams not getting to play because of the minimum limit.

Surely it must be possible to make the scheduler allow match-ups disregarding the coach limit, and using a suitability limit combined with something that cuts down on cheating.

Personally I wouldn't even mind some cheapskate cheaters, as long as match-ups are made when there are more than 1 coach activated.

Any ideas, Sirs?
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2009 - 12:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Heh... I had the same discussion a very short while ago... to be honest I agree with you that if there are 4 good matching coaches there is nothing wrong with producing one setup if the teams fit.... on the other hand I don't see the lack of blackbox games from time to time as a real problem.... the fact that you can play every half hour is a priviledge already....

...there has been made an attempt to organize a mass-bbox-play already....

...and if you play at a time where very little coaches do, I suggest you round up the coaches of a certain area to play at a particular time and you won't have problems to get 8 or 10 coaches....

however... with just 2 applicants creating a game would seem a bit odd to me... no matter how well they fit Smile
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2009 - 12:45 Reply with quote Back to top

The way the Blackbox works at the moment, I think there is no minimum suitability.

If you have just 2 coaches activating, there is always a chance you will get the match up;

Coach A (Dwarves) 111/105 v Coach B (Halflings) 100/85, or similar.

The more coaches that activate, the more likely the matches are going to be reasonable.

So, it's not just to ensure there are no 'pre-agreed' games, but also to try and ensure that games have the best chance of being reasonable.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2009 - 12:51 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:
The way the Blackbox works at the moment, I think there is no minimum suitability.

it's six coaches minimum atm Wink
maysrill

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2009 - 13:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
DukeTyrion wrote:

I'll vouch for the limit still being there. I've twice in the past few days seen 5 coaches (including me) activate and there was a "Not enough coaches" message.

Just try getting a [B] game in the evening if you live in the US. Once the UK fummblers go to bed it's a ghost town.

(I'm really trying to give [B] a fair shake, and in theory I should really like it, but it makes it hard sometimes when you can never find a game)
Rawlf

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2009 - 13:33 Reply with quote Back to top

This was discussed earlier, maybe you're interested in it.

Here for example.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2009 - 13:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
DukeTyrion wrote:

You are talking about the minimum coach limit (6), where I am talking about the minimum suitability score (1-1000).

When Blackbox first came in, I think the minimum possible suitablilty score allowed was 800, but that was changed, so currently there is no minimum suitability.

This means that if only 2 coaches are online, I could look at your teams, activate a much better team 15 TS higher (or 20 TS less handicap) and with no lower minimum suitability you would have to play it, even if it ranked at 580.
Igvy

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2009 - 14:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Yey for duplicate threads. Just use the orignal - http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=15550

Or for multiple teams required for activation, by type or whatever see below.
http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=16448
http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=16255
lawman

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2009 - 14:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I would be in favor of 5. That way there is an odd man out to hopefully make the other two more even.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2009 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

lawman wrote:
I would be in favor of 5. That way there is an odd man out to hopefully make the other two more even.

Yeah.

As a short term solution this could be a huge improvement. And I suspect it only takes minutes to change it in the formula, if not seconds.

I think there is enough frustration with the coach limit of 6, that lowering it to 5 for a trial period is more than justified.

Many fumbblers live in Europe though, and seldom get to experience the limit. Including the site owner.
RC

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2009 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I would like the opportunity to transfer some of my R teams to B Smile
Perhaps then more coaches would play ?

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2009 - 16:15 Reply with quote Back to top

RC wrote:

That's one thing I hope never happens.
Wotfudboy

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2009 - 16:20 Reply with quote Back to top

RC wrote:

Nah - I wouldn't want to see any of those Ranked teams that cherry picked their way up to a high TR/TS coming over to Black Box when they haven't earnt the right to be there...

They should work their way up from TR100 like everyone else and run the gauntlet of random opposition*.

(*Ok, more likely Orc, Khemri and Dwarf... but black box does seem to me to be getting more variation in race these days compared to when it started.)

It's a shame more coaches don't join in the Black Box experience as I think it has improved big time.
maysrill

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2009 - 16:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Wotfudboy wrote:

(*Ok, more likely Orc, Khemri and Dwarf... but black box does seem to me to be getting more variation in race these days compared to when it started.)

It's a shame more coaches don't join in the Black Box experience as I think it has improved big time.

Well, in addition to supporting the lowering of the min, I'd like to think I'm also helping with the race balance. I still haven't played a ton of [B] yet, but my current [B] races are: dark elf, amazon, vampire, and I'm planning to make an ogre team shortly.
treborius

Post   Posted: Sep 05, 2009 - 12:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
lawman wrote:

Yeah.

As a short term solution this could be a huge improvement. And I suspect it only takes minutes to change it in the formula, if not seconds.

I think there is enough frustration with the coach limit of 6, that lowering it to 5 for a trial period is more than justified.

Many fumbblers live in Europe though, and seldom get to experience the limit. Including the site owner.

yeah, one more reason why it sucks to be from the us...
...nah, just kiddin' - u guys really have my sympathy - i don't see a reason not to lower the limit to 4 or 5!
...the (organized) cheating argument is pure theory.
 Jump to: