36 coaches online • Server time: 12:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you like this idea
Yes
13%
 13%  [ 12 ]
Not sure or Don't care
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
No
81%
 81%  [ 72 ]
Total Votes : 88

Top_Banana

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2009 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been playing Blood Bowl for a few years now both on table top and online. Over the time I've been playing stalling seems to be something a lot of coaches don't like. I don't actually have a problem with it myself as more often than not it's down to a bad defence. Also it's the best tactics when you have the ball and it's near the end of a half. So what's a coach to do? I do however understand how coaches feel as a little mistake or even bad dice can leave them in a position where all they can do is watch the game die knowing they wont get another chance for some fun.

Now here's the thing, in most team sports if it's near the end of a match and still close, not knowing when the ref is going to blow his whistle adds to the tension.

So here's my idea.
After both coaches have had turn 7 roll a d6
1-2 half ends. 3-6 continue to turn 8

After both coaches have had turn 8 roll a d6
1-4 half ends. 5-6 continue to turn 9 (injury time)

no d6 after turn 9 half just ends.

I've thought about this a lot, and the more I think about it the more I like it.

The dice rolls or turn amount could be tweaked, but I thought I'd keep it simple.

Please let me know what you think of this idea good or bad. Thanks
groin

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2009 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Then I just stall to turn 7. Ok you get your Ko rolls before half time.Unless opponent has one turner who cares (unless you are lucky and game continue). And what about the guys who just get 2 turns to tie game because they played good defence before. Then the wistle is blown and game is over. Maybe you can run a league with it but as Standard rule I would not like it. It is just another roll fun for guys who love the luck factor. So I think it is a bad idea
WindexChugger

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2009 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

um...no

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2009 - 19:04 Reply with quote Back to top

WindexChugger wrote:
um...no
Top_Banana

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2009 - 19:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for your thoughts groin, WindexChugger could a little better than (um...no) why bother posting if thats all you got to say. I really don't care if other coaches like it or not, but would prefer better feed back than that.
Thanks
LordSnotball

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2009 - 19:21 Reply with quote Back to top

we played a league a while back that was plagued by norse winter storms, so from turn 4 onwards we rolled a dice, and turn 4 the half would end immediately if you rolled a 1, turn 5 if you rolled 1-2, turn 6 if u rolled 1-3 etc.

makes stalling a much bigger risk, and added more fluff to the game

you play your own style, you can't out elfball with dwarfs in 99% of the games, and a dwarf will always stall vs elves... this is why there are different races, so coaches can develop their own personal styles...

if u play me, i'll elfball with orcs and score 3-4 TDs and leave you staring dumbfounded wondering "aren't they supposed to be orcs?"

its about style, how u understand the game, how u choose to play, and whether you enjoy those risky plays which will make or break the game...

so, stall if u want to...

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
nin

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2009 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

You could use the lrb5 with the optional cards rules (so that big bad teams don't stall that much against cripled teams) but this last turns rolls probably won't stop the most harsh part of stalling and will probably generate more complains (losing because a last roll that has nothing to do with skill was not good for you looks a lot like aged vamps)

The Orc/Dwarf/Khemri tactic of bash-cage-grind-destroy your team-stall untill turn 8 will simply change to ...-stall untill turn 7 with the "destroy your team" part still fully working.
The 2 turn tactical stall that some elves do when defense is bad won't change too much either (luckily imho)
...and you encourage the end of half turns of try to kill as much as posible (not necesarily bad, but not the point imho)
Calcium

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2009 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

In the end your suggesting a change to something that works fine already. This could be worked as a house rule of course, but other than that it's a dead duck of an idea.

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2009 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Thought this was a good idea... And Lord Snotball's idea was perhaps even better... or at least cooler.

Post   Posted: Sep 28, 2009 - 01:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I have won more games due to stalling faels of the opponent than lose.
Stalling can be countered,
either treaten the ball, or threaten a valuable player.
If you cant do either, your opponent will propably score to score some more later.
Jushak

Post   Posted: Sep 28, 2009 - 03:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I would much rather see a rule stolen from Chaos League: If you stall for too long the audience starts throwing a tantrum: greataxes, rotten fruits and barrels of explosives start raining down on the pitch.

Rules-wise it could pretty much be something like: If a ball-carrier is in position where he can score without any rolls (i.e. no need to dodge or block the way free nor to GFI) you get "Throw a Rock" kick-off result with a twist: It's only resolved if it would hit the stalling team.
nThatch

Post   Posted: Sep 28, 2009 - 03:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Isnt time extension/delays in the kickoff event table?
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Sep 28, 2009 - 03:55 Reply with quote Back to top

stalling is great. Often nuffle screws me over and I can do nothing to stop the score. But then a wonderful thing happens, my opponent's ballcarrier suddenly develops an allergy to touchdowns and gives me more chances at stopping him. You'd be amazed at how often it works and the game ends in a tie or win.

Post   Posted: Sep 28, 2009 - 04:35 Reply with quote Back to top

This sounds like a solution begging for a problem. Stalling is not a problem.

__Synn
Oldworldeagle

Post   Posted: Sep 28, 2009 - 05:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Its also yet another example of a 'fix' that doesn't take a macro view of game balance and how it would effect the power differential between races. Is it possible to devise a set of rules that effectively penalizes stalling? Perhaps... But it strikes me that it would benefit races such as elves and skaven at the expense of teams like dwarves. Is this really something you want to do? If it is, fine change the rule. Just be aware of how interdependent game elements are and that a change can often have broader consequences rather than just the ones you are aiming for.

Unless your aim is explicitly to help the speedster teams at the expense of the grinders I would leave the stalling rules alone.
 Jump to: