25 coaches online • Server time: 10:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
spubbbba

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2009 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm presently painting up a Lizardman team for Purplegoo which I intend to complete before the end of the year. However I want to start a new team early next year to take to the GT and a couple of other tournaments (there is talk of a WIL tourney and one in Bristol next year). I intend to spend a good few months on this team and paint and convert every model to my highest standard to make them even better than the dryads from this year.

After 2 nominations for best team I'm hoping that 3rd times the charm so need a really good idea for my team.

Some considerations.
1. Most tourneys are low TR so I'd only need 11 or 12 models but when judging is done you can use extra stuff like display bases, coaching staff and a full squad of 16 even if not all are being used at the tournament.

2. I'd like to have a reasonable shot at having a winning record or have fun, i don't mind taking a non-optimised team or one of the lesser races but something dull or that lost a lot would lessen my experience as i do enjoy the tactical aspect of BB.

3. I really like painting big guys and some of my favourite models from the teams i've done have been Big guys.

4. The paint job is less important than the conversions, an ok painted well converted team with a good colour scheme will attract more attention than a brilliantly detailed team using standard models. It needs to grab your attention from 6 foot away, but then also look good up close.

5. I don't like to repeat myself and try to make every model i paint unique so would only paint up a race i had already done before if i could do something new or interesting.

6. As i'm going to the GT in Nottingham any models i use will have to be GW ones.

7. Bloodbowl has quite a lot of comedy potential, so that is something i could explore but i would still like the team to be "possible" and make sense in the warhammer/BB world, so no simpsons team for instance.

Below I have put some ideas of what i've been thinking about at the moment but would appreciate some input or alternative ideas that i can steal.

My Blog shows previous teams i have done over the past couple of years.

Amazon
Zons are easy to use, but a bit dull team wise. The existing BB models all look a bit samey but they would have the advantage of being female so i could look at other female models such as daemonettes or elves/eldar these Morheim models look quite fun but a bit hard to convert into looking more like Bloodbowl models as opposed to fantasy ones with their weapons cut off.

Chaos
There are some nice if static chaos plastics (chaos marines might work) and i already have a Mino, sadly chaos really suck at low TV. New plastic beastmen models should be out sometime next year so that could be a future project as there is a lot of potential in mutations using magnets like i did for piggy's rats.

Chaos Dwarf
Never been a fan of the big hats, but i loved the old skool marauder models and the new Hellcannon dwarfs. They have the advatage of having a big guy, the only tricky part would be what to do with the hobgoblins as i can't think of any decent conversions for them. They are also a competitve team.

Dark Elf
I really like the colour scheme i did for PeteW's DE, the models were just what i had lying about so the long chainmail was not wholey practical but i do have Some Dark eldar wyches that have potential and a lot of movement, they are a bit low on armour so might suit wood or pro elf better.
There are some lovely new plastic models and the Corsairs and cold one cavalry sets have a lot of good bits that could make a nice team, but plenty of other people have done this before so not that unique.

Dwarf
I have always been tempted by a Dwarf Warhammers style team, i could only afford the deathroller and secret weapon stars in higher TV tournaments whilst still being competitive. One idea would be to use counts as rules so the positionals could have some wacky gadgets such as rocket boots, bionics, be holding a barrel of TNT or a player by made of acme style TNT. Then when the judging was done i could put out all the secret weapons, i also favour the 2nd edition models more.
Of course this would mean using boring boring dorfs.

Elf
these models already mention earlier could make some nice Pro elves with some conversion work if i went down the "evil" route with them. Pro elves are quite a fun team to use and i can get a decent amount of positionals at low TV too. I have seen other people use eldar models such as harlequins as well and their imagry is less defined than the other 3 races so that gives more scope for conversions.

Goblin
Goblins have won best painted the last 2 years and have loads of potential for wacky and crazy conversions as well as a lot of humour. The secret weapons make them fun to use and even though i'd probably lose a lot at least there would be more potential for causing pain. i do quite well with gobbos here as well. 2 big guys and the weapons would all be good to lavish attention on and some extra staff could be fun too.

Halfling
Haven't really come up with any good ideas for these guys and i suck a bit with them, not sure how much i'd enjoy using them.

High Elf
I did a team for Russo with only a couple of conversions, but the plastic High Elves aren't that suitable for BB so don't have any good ideas for them, i like playing them though.

Human
I did a human team before but they were the mighty Hellfish so that was jan's vision not mine. There are plenty of nice human models about. I could do humans from other parts of the warhammer world (not brettionians though cos they all suck) and i do like the style of the new team and the 2nd edtion one. They have a big guy and humans are decent at low TV too, i enjoy using them but do tend not to do so well with them.
Another idea is evil (non-chaos) humans like there used to be in 2nd editon and they could work for chaos pact too along with the ogre.

Khemri
The skeletons are easy as i don't want to use those awful metal ones. The Mummies would be a bit harder but doing ushabti style tomb guardians coule be fun. of course the LRB6 khemri suck and the lrb5 ones aren't much more interesting so not sure if i want to use them.

Lizardmen
Have used up most of my good ideas on purp's lizzies so would need some real inspiration to make an interesting team.

Necromantic or Undead
I have been toying with the idea of making an undead team made up from player from other teams, so zombies of each race and maybe an undead big guy as mummies/golems, wights as armoured/tough races such as dwarfs, chaos warriors or orcs and ghouls as devolved or skeletal versions of things such as elves maybe. There are a lot of cool new vampire plastics to help make wights, ghouls and wolves too. I like using undead and it would be fun to have a zombie of each race so i could add a suitable model if i killed an opposition player mid game.

Norse
I did a norse team for gatts and was really please with them, the snow troll looked cool but wasn;t that useful so i'd only use them for higher TV tourneys where i could have a troll and positionals. There are lovely new plastic Space wolves that woudl combine well with the chaos marauder spruces.

Nurgle's Rotters
I already did a rotters team for Cloggy and was very pleased with how they turned out, still think Grashnak is one of the best things i've done in the last 3 years. With the team being so large i used up many of my good ideas but cloggy only wanted metal so there are a lot of plastic models i could explore and there is potential in a different colour scheme asopposed to green, rust and black.

Ogre
Although i like painting big guys not sure if i'd want to do a whole team and it is always harder to convert them with less bigs to that scale. Combining plastic rat ogres and the fantasy ogres might be interesting and snotlings can be a lot of fun.

Orc
Already done an Orc team and although i win a lot when i use them i do find Orcs dull. Don't think i've ever seen a painted Orc team that really grabbed me.

Skaven
I really liked doing piggy's rats and they were mostly paint jobs with a few conversions. At present they are the team in the lead for me with all the cool new plastics out for them. They have a big guy (ok overpriced crap one), are competive and i could do some fun conversions with some nasty weapons on support staff or players about to fall down sewers or have their tails cut off etc.
They have access to mutations as well so a skaven with all the mutations might be a fun assistant coach.

Vampire
I'm not much good with them but they are fun and the existing BB models look good. Of course i could go crazy and use the counts as rule for something really odd with the OFAB like hobgoblins trying to herd squigs or Russo and sheep (stealing ideas from stunty and sillysod's team on here). There are some nice vampire models for fantasy that could work, but not sure what to do for thralls.

Wood Elf
I hate the existing BB models, but the wyches already mentioned could work with a lot of conversion as a wardancer style team. I used an interesting technique on my dark fantasy wood elves painting thin lines on the clothes over a black undercaot to make them look like natural fabric and i think this could work well on a BB team.

Whilst the GT only allows the 21 "official" teams other tourneys let the 3 new races in so they have potential too. 2 of these are mixed teams so i could make a team that has some of these models in them and then only need to add a few extras to make the new teams.

Chaos Pact
The marauders could be norse linemen or evil humans and the varierty of 3 big guys and a dark elf goblin and skaven does appeal.

Slaan
I haven't really seen any good conversions using GW models yet (some really nice original sculptures though) and all we really have is a drawing from the old 2nd edition expansion so there is freedom to do what i like. Not many models work as slaan aside from kroot and their heads don't look right.

Underworld
These would work really well if i did a goblin or Skaven team and the idea of a warpstone troll does sound like the 2nd coolest thing you could do to a troll (after giving it DP and leap) and they have a reputation as fighting each other which opens up lots of humourous conversion ideas.

Sorry, bit of a longwinded post Embarassed

So any thoughts or suggestions? I can edit in stuff i like to the teams later on and maybe even do a poll if there are a few front runners.

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2009 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd go with the Necro team with Zombies from every race idea

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2009 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to see what you did with either the Chaos or Elf teams i think.. seems like there is scope for some cool models.
Apart from the low TR Chaos issues they have a big guy, mutations/conversions give loads of scope and you could pretty much have your pick of models for some crazy coaching staff..
Nexus_Six

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2009 - 19:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Goblin or Chaos Pact Smile
PeteW

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2009 - 20:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea of going with a humanoid race: humans, zons or norses. Find something cool like those mordheim sisters, or flagellents (if they hadn't been done). Maybe paint them up as clowns or something. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2009 - 20:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the Necro idea sounds the best and would look cool
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2009 - 20:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Really liked your Pro Elf idea. My 2nd favorite.
Favorite is the Undead idea using the Vampire plastics.

After that I say Skaven.
Nexus_Six

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2009 - 20:57 Reply with quote Back to top

PeteW wrote:
I like the idea of going with a humanoid race: humans, zons or norses. Find something cool like those mordheim sisters, or flagellents (if they hadn't been done). Maybe paint them up as clowns or something. Very Happy

Why not do a theme Human team ?
I cant remember as its been ages since i looked through the core role book , ie : the electronic or old version.
If you look under the human teams there are 2 which might be fun to look at , the Evil Gits and (i think) the Bright Crusaders.
One is all about cheating, the other simply doesnt cheat.
Might be funny using say Bretonian or empire troops and making a real foppish human team and refuse in game to take Dirty Player or on the flip side make a load of real shady looking human players converting from either chaos or w/e to make a penal XI.
Could be funny using a White / Black stripe kit and have all the players looking thugs or criminals !
I dunno few ideas
Gordreg

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2009 - 21:11 Reply with quote Back to top

A Middenheim/Middenland Human team, perhaps? Still 'good' humans (heck, they're still even in the empire), but with wolf-pelts and facial hair abounding they'd be quite different to look at from the standard band of close-shaven Reiklanders who make up the 'normal' Human BB team.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2009 - 21:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I would do one of:

Chaos Pact - go nuts and do a proper pact team with three nice big guys. Use it as a pact team except in the GT where you can use it as some sort of human, chaos, or norse roster.
Necromantic - fun zombie linemen and I guess you could create some impressive flesh golems, remember that these are essentially bits of creatures fused together by magic.
Chaos Dwarfs - big guy, cool blockers/bulls, you can make neat hobgoblins by combining flagelent bodies with ghoul head/arms.
Slann - use skink heads although you might need to half-scult the faces to look really froggy. Arms can also be an issue. They can really be made to stand out though with rainforrest frog colours, a big guy, and custom conversions. I guess they could be used as a human team if GW havent allowed Slann to play by next year.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
spubbbba

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2009 - 14:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry for the slight necro, but the letter Christer received from GW might change things. There might be a mass WIL boycott of the GT next year, personally i only go cos all my WIL mates do. There are plenty of other excellent tabletop tournaments we could go to and they allow the new races and non-GW models too.

As i dislike taking the exact same team/army to tournaments then i've been looking at teams that could be used as more than 1 race.

So that opens up some other possibilities, at the moment i've got the choices narrowed down a bit to.

Undead or Necromantics
Undead are easier to use, but Necros are cooler and can make a more interesting team if i take them to a 110TV+ tourney. There is also the advantage that I'd only need to do a few extra models to have both teams since they have ghouls, wights and zombies in common. I could even do some sort of undead monster that would be useable as mummies or golems. In LRB5 skeletons are a viable choice being 30K still but in 6 they go up to 40K and get thick skull so probabaly not worth it although i could do some and be able to make a Khemri, Undead or Necro team with 20 odd models.
Upside
There are a lot of conversion possibilities and i can have a huge variety of zombies in the team, conversions are possible for all the positionals and even the existing GW models are mostly good.
downside
I'd probably need to do a lot of models to cover all the zombie options meaning it would take longer than making a 11 or 12 model team. Also a guy over on TFF has been doing a cool team with zombies from all the races and i'd like to be unique if possible.

Pro Elf
Elfs are a fun team to use, with the cheap linos i can get quite a few positionals out of them and with a little imagination i could use them as dark or wood elves as well, all i'd need to do would be create a witch elf, 2 extra blitzers and treeman model. The dark eldar wych models themselves look pretty easy to convert, the main difficulty being to remove the 40K bits and make them look like bloodbowl players rather than 40K models with their weapons cut off. So some more fantasy football style poses would help.
Upside
Pro elfs are less commonly taken to tournaments and make for interesting games, the team should also look unique on the pitch.
downside
I did a Wood Elf team last year so might get bored of using them and my style of BB suits bashers better, also no big guy.

Humans
There have been a few suggestions of human teams, like the elves if i make the team unique i could use them as Humans, Norse or even Amazons. With 4 blitzers, 2 Throwers, 2 Catchers and say 8 Lineman i'd only need to add an ogre, 2 ulfwereners and a Snow Troll to make all 3 teams. There are a lot of human models about even more so if i use non-GW stuff. And i can take bits from fantasy and sci-fi models
upside
A chance to make a truly unique team, all 3 races are competitive at low TR and 2 of them have a big guy.
Downside
I don't have any inspiration for the team, i'd want them to be possible in the BB world but can't think of a decent theme at present.

Chaos Dwarf
I have some good ideas on how to do the dwarfs and really enjoyed painting up Gnsahrak, a mutated minotaur with a dwarf feel to it could be a lot of fun. I like silly's idea of using the flagellant bodies for hobbos but would need to give them different legs as i don't think the "skirts" look right for BB. I could always make them evil dwarfs with evil human slaves instead of hobbos as that might make more sense.
Upsides
Big guys and mutations are fun to convert nd paint, i have loads of dwarf bits so should be able to make something more interesting than the current big hat models and the curly beards are pretty easy to sculpt. You have 4 very different types of players (blockers, bulls, hobbos and the mino) so i won't get bored.
Downsides
Dwarfs are lame. I have seen some really nice chaos dwarf teams so would have to do a very good job to compare to them.

Skaven
There are some wonderful new skaven models out, the new plastic clan rats and the stormvermin have a lot of potential for conversion and 2 of the special characters would make great stars, i've already bought Queek. The screaming bell has a wonderful plastic Rat Ogre that i think would suit perfectly becoming a BB model crouched down on the LOS ready to explode into a frenzied attack on the other team.
Upsides
Big guy and mutations again, Skaven are also a great comedy race so i could add a display base or support staff causing havoc. They have some stars with secret weapons so they would be fun to convert even if i don't intend to use them on the pitch.
Downsides
It will take some work to make the warhammer models look like BB players, vermin and gutters pretty much look like their fantasy equivalent in the current range so i'd like to change that. Other people may have the same idea so there might be quite a few converted fantasy rat teams.

There are the 2 LRB6 teams i looking at as well.

Underworld
I don't know if they will be allowed at the 2010 GT, but if i were to make a skaven team then it would be easy to add a few goblins and a warpstone troll to make them. They'd have even more potential for funny conversions and are a weaker side so i could concentrate on having fun and any draw or win would be a good result.

Chaos Pact
Being able to take 3 big guys and the option of a skaven, Dark Elf and goblin looks like a lot of fun. I have no idea how they play, but with few starting skills and animosity i suspect they will struggle at low TV just like chaos.

Jump to: