61 coaches online • Server time: 18:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post SWL Season 100!goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
shaqpooh

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2004 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree, 11 days is plenty, it allows for that 'emergency' that comes up, that a week just didn't allow for. And as the other stunty coach, KEEP THE FLINGS!!!
I really like this league and hope to keep it going. Count me in for the future. Kicking out coaches is inevitable if they cannot play. if I missed 2 games, I'd EXPECT to be kicked. i don't want to hold up a league.
banana_fish900

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2004 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

11 days is just fine. I'm also comfortable with kicking coaches who consistently fail to get their games in. Perhaps this was their first time playing in a tournament and they bit off a little more than they have time for. If they're honest with themselves then I'm sure they agree. I'd be willing to entertain replacement teams (spend the next 11 days advertising for replacement teams and let the new coaches play up to 1 game shy of the current schedule (since they can hand-pick their games in open I think that's fair).

I'm open to just about any solution though (including a simple reduction in the number of teams). We have a few coaches who have stuck it out despite lots of player deaths and no wins--I think it would be a disservice to their commitment to stop now. Plus this league is fun. I've had some great matches against some great people.
Bendrig

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2004 - 01:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Mully wrote:
Bendrig (and others) - it doesn't matter if you are around alot or not. Being in a league means taking responsibility and contacting your opponent (PM) to say - i can play at X, Y, and Z times this week .... which one works for you.

Due to circumstances I can't or won't do that right now. I just won't, to avoid getting dragged into the fumbbl-addiction again. I know myself.

But I check my Pm's on site regularly and I have a constant presence in the irc channels. I'll be marked afk, yeah, but that's just because I'm not paying attention to the fumbbl channels. I will notice a pm there, as I'm more often then not online.

I know that's not quite enough commitment, but it's all I'm willing to give right now. I want to play, since I signed up for it and I carry things through, I don't want to just drop away.

That's what I meant with being "around".

Hell, my opponents get an easy win against crunchy flings, the least they can do is contact me to beat me :-p

thingie. If it's not enough for the league, fine. Kick me and I'll be able to completely dissapear from fumbbl for some months. S&S is currently the only thing that keeps me here.
Mully

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2004 - 04:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Ben - you can be on site 1 night a week as far as the league cares. The important part is pre-contacting your opponent to tell him when you will be on so that you can get the game in.

Or in your case if you prefer - send a PM to your opponent saying "let me know I night you can play and I'll tell you if I can make it".

My whole point to everyone really was just don't log on every day "hoping" your opponent is there, but rather take 1 step and set up a time, much like you need to do in tabletop.

So I'm not bashing you, just using your post as an example.

Well.... actually I am bashing you since your chicken shit team knocked me out of Empire grrrrrr

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2004 - 07:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for all the responses, it looks like we're largely on the same page:
    * The league should continue

* 11 days/round is a reasonable timespan

* Removing coaches who miss two games is a good plan

At this point I'd like to hear from those who haven't responded to this (whether in this thread or by PM) as to whether they want to continue and can agree to the above, as well as the following two points:
    * That opponents will contact each other early in the round in order to find a time to play that is mutually convenient.

* That, barring loss of internet connection, players will notify me if there is a problem when it becomes apparent that there is a problem and not at the end of the round (or after).

I'll use this information to see where the league stands in terms of membership and to decide how best to structure things and hopefully we'll be back underway by Monday or Tuesday. If those who plan to stay know someone who would be interested in joining and who they believe would be reliable you can point them my way, otherwise I don't think I'm going to attempt to recruit too strenuously at the moment -- it takes time, didn't really meet with interest last time and I don't have much of a way to determine their reliability.

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2004 - 08:06 Reply with quote Back to top

No problems sticking with the requirements.

Besides, we're still the prettiest.
BloodReaper

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2004 - 09:02 Reply with quote Back to top

well after reading all the comments so far, i think that the league should continue using all the ideas u (LurkingGrue) have put in the thread.

o i am still up for the challange
banana_fish900

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2004 - 22:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Good Wood 2 - 1 Nagarythe shadows

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=286816

The ladies of Good Wood represented the Saints well in the first cross-divisional game. Go Saints!
LurkingGrue

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2004 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Saints and Sinners League -- Round 5

Bring Out Your Dead
After a below average number of deaths last round, the league has really rallied, scoring a record eight deaths during round 5. Special recognition goes out to the Blind Butchers of Lamashtu, whose brutal foulfest against HiTfromTheBONG not only accounted for half of those deaths but set a new record for the most deaths inflicted in one game, and to Ruttinz of Still the Prettiest, who was not only the cause but the recipient of his kill.

Everybody Loves A Winner
As the Highlander would say, there could be only one and the Christian Warriors turned out to be that one as they emerged victorious in the battle of the titans against Still the Prettiest, the Warriors perfect record intact and the Elves ended (but, as they are fond of reminding us, they are "Still the Prettiest"). The Slave Uprising's winning streak was also shattered (along with a number of Goblins) by the greenie's nemesis, the Chaos Dwarves of the Dark Flames of Hashut. The little guys played their hearts out but the Dwarves' tackle was too much for them. This leaves the Christian Warriors as the sole possessors of a perfect record. Can they keep it as they face the best of the other three conferences in the crossover games?

You're So Vain
If you've checked out the Stats page on the web-site, you may have noticed the advent of the "Glory Hog" list for those players who seem to suck up all of the MVP awards from their team. This award was inspired jointly by Decayed of Dead Madness and Bishop Albright of the Christian Warriors, who are also the sole residents of the list at the moment (there were too many players with 2 MVPs to fit on the list....)

Life During Wartime
In the first cross conference game (due to team attrition), the Hammers of Ligth win a costly victory against the Villanous Sinners, winning the game but suffering two serious injuries to the Sinners' Werewolves.

Lucky Charms
Mudplay took the record for best luck score this round, with an impressive 88%. And they weren't even playing Good Wood!

This round begins our cross-conference games! Deadline for getting round 6 games played is April 3.

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2004 - 23:52 Reply with quote Back to top

<B>CHRISTIAN WARRIORS 2 - MUDPLAY 1</b>

Arrrrgh !! Lizards again ..... they can't even read. Second block of the game Mudplay Bob and Warrior Jessie smashed heads and put themselves out for 2 games.

Skinky Stinky ran off with the ball and some prayer beads and Mudplay led early 1-0. Fortunately, Bishop Albright once again with the aid of supernatural forces tied the game at halftime.

Second half was a slow grind as we tried and tried to explain about Moses and Adam and Eve. The lizards would try and get away and we would knock them back down to listen. Thomas the Spectacular gave his life for the cause of good, but to no avail. Soooooo tiring. In the end, Reverend Manning walked the ball over the goal line in T8 for the 2-1 win. We left the mudders without showering.

Pope John Paul has now joined the team to help with those stubborn converts. Off to gobbo country we go.

Post 3 Posted: Apr 05, 2004 - 14:22 Reply with quote Back to top

And in The Book there could be read:

...and the elves ascended from the higher plane, shedding their wings as a sacrifice for being able to walk the earth. They approached the masses and with sweet melodious voices began to preach the proper path in life. They used many difficult words that made the masses confused and thus came to be the clash - where the masses attacked the elves and kicked their behinds.

And the elves raised their heads and lamented their situation to the powers of the higher plane:

"Why, oh why hast thou sent us hither just to recieve such a behind spanking?"

And the enlightened beings of higher plane answered and the elves realized their mistake. The following day they again approached the masses and spoke their lenghty difficult words with their sweet melodius voices. This time the masses listened in awe since the elves backed up their words with lots and lots of weapons!

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Hi, everybody... just popping in to say thank you for letting me join the league.

Mordachai

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2004 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Is that the death cry of the Warpstone Elves Mord ???

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2004 - 15:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Saints and Sinners League -- Round 6

Bring Out Your Dead
The death count continues to mount, with a new weekly record of 11 deaths for round 6 (including three in the grisly, and yet strangely attractive, Hammers of Ligth/Still the Prettiest match-up). That brings the total league deaths up to 36.

Onward Christian Soldiers
Record crowds showed up to view the contest between the two titans of the Light Division: North America's Christian Warriors and Europe's Mudplay. Through judicious use of stalling, the Christian Warriors emerged victorious to continue their winning streak with no end in sight.

Stunty Madness
Congratulations to coach Bendrig and the Darkest o t Hillside Thickets! The Halflings managed to defeat the bearded warriors of Short Fuses in a close, 2-1, match. In other stunty news, Slave Uprising racked up another loss as they had the misfortune to draw another Chaos Dwarf team for the first cross-over round. Luckily they have a nice, soft Human match lined up for the second round....

Blinded By The Ligth
The referee at the Hammers of Ligth/Still the Prettiest match apparently started celebrating early (actually, he was found dunked head first in a barrel of Bugman's Finest -- how he got there is still under investigation....) and allowed the match to continue on in overtime after the first touchdown was scored despite league rules dictating that overtime should be sudden death. As a result, the Hammers scored two more touchdowns. Naturally these two illegal touchdowns will not be counted in any of the league records but, even without their benefit, Hammers' Runner Torin now leads the SPP and TD lists.

Consider Yourself At Home
This week sees the introduction of a new team to the mix: Coach Mordachai and the Eloped Eloquent Elves. Welcome to the league guys!

Round 7 begins today. The deadline for playing your round 7 games is April 16th.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2004 - 02:04 Reply with quote Back to top

The humies say dat dey follow da Savior... We need to be saved!!! Help us to be free from da Evil dwarfs! We gonna be good! We promise! We prove ourselves by beatin' you guys in a game! Dat way you know dat yur savior thinks we is worf saving!
Mully

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2004 - 06:59 Reply with quote Back to top

<b>CHRISTIAN WARRIORS 2 VS SLAVE UPRISING 1 OT</B>

Well I got to hand it to these gobbos. They learn quickly. We began the game with the ball and newcomer Ogre Pope John Paul led a pre-game sermon. Having not played at our home field for a while our fans got so worked up they stormed the field. Three turns and 3 double skulls later it was half-time at 0-0.

Second half started with Pope John Paul discussing scriptures with the referee. The ref was so interested he didn't notice Bishop Albright sneaking over the line of scrimmage for a quick peek at the ball. One turn later Bishop Albright graced the endzone with his presence and a 1-0 lead.

A bad kick allowed the gobbo Troll to grab the ball and start upfield. The gobbos began getting uppity so we started kocking them off the field. The game looked over till the gobbo gods interupted our game. On their last turn of the game a fireball fell from the sky and knocked over 2 players. Then, miraculously gobbo Grabnutz took a handoff in 2 tackle zones and weaved his way through 3 amazed players for the score.

So in OT we went with Slave Uprising receiving. A crucial moment was turn 2 in OT when coach Mully ordered Ogre Pope John Paul to DODGE away from a gobbo to help out Saint Paul. The Ogre turned back to the sidelines, said "HUH what?", and stood dumbfounded for the rest of the turn. It propbably saved us the game. Eventually the mighty Christians wore down the gobbos and sealed the victory in T7. A couple have switched over to Christianity and were given free bread and wine.

Thanks for the enjoyable game!!

Jump to: