57 coaches online • Server time: 22:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Getting diced 3 game...goto Post 7s for fummbl?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Does racial diversity legitimize harder matches for Orcs/Dwarfs?
Sure! Hardly anyone likes to play against these all too often- let them bleed!
23%
 23%  [ 28 ]
Nah- they are too many but an unfair match doesn't improve anything.
51%
 51%  [ 61 ]
Hey dude- you just try to make life harder for my one and only B-Team- forget it!
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
However. Pie?
22%
 22%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 119

arw

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2009 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi there folks!
Lots of ppl complained about Orcs and Dwarfs being too frequent in B.
Though I really like Orcs and don't mind Dwarfs too much it is true that these are crowded in B.

Here is my idea:
How about more frequently played races getting harder games?
Maybe not all of them but the top two or three races. The two or three underdogs could get easier games, too.
All races being treated this way might introduce too many powergamers playing Vamps or the like.
With only two (three) races getting "the bonus" powergaming races would soon lose their bonus when used too often.
It would be enough to check/change the bonus-races once per month. That should be possible to manage (so I hope).
That way we might have fewer Orcs and Dwarfs. I could also play my Orcs again- facing challenge rather than shame ^^

I for one would be satisfied with a voluntary difficulty option to accept harder games for my Orcs- though it should be visible for others.
Won't help with diversity however and few ppl would use it.
I am sure there'd be about as many "Goblins on a mission" as Orcs choosing that option xD
Calthor

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2009 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Although I like the idea in theory... There is a big problem with it imho. Fact is, blackbox should be a place where the scheduler tries to match up teams that are as evenly powered as possible. This would interfere with that idea. So I filed my voice in the Nah option.
Espionage

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2009 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

The inroduction of xfl tournaments with good prizes would do more to encourage racial diversity.
I vote pie
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2009 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

The TS formula was already changed to accomodate the balance in B.

I think it works well enough now.

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2009 - 16:37
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

i dunno

http://www.fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=2892419

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2009 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Why does a game with 4 Casualties against norse mean anything you think?

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=2892037
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=2866969

And so on.....

Oh, and this http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=blackbox doesn't show such a preference for bashy races at all, though norse seem to be doing quite well Wink

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2009 - 16:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Yet another 'Bash in B is Bad' thread. YAWN.

PIE.

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2009 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Well...
Orcs and Dwarfs *are* rather powerful yet already treated that way in B.
Still they are overrepresented in B.
This is not entirely about balanced games though it tries to hand any potential unbalance back to Orcs and Dwarfs.
As an Orc player I say: They can take it whether fair or not!

Main point however is diversity- not fairness.

Oh and I like bash- that's not the point either Calcium.
After all I'd like to have this change for my Orcs- not my Norse. I hardly play non-bashers in the first place.

Last edited by arw on %b %16, %2009 - %16:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2009 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

People take bashy teams in BB because they cant get games with those races in ranked. That's the issue. If it was easier to get a games with dwarves in ranked then fewer people weould take them in BB. If you want to "cure" the bashiness of box, then fix the attitude of ranked players.
Calcium

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2009 - 16:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Complaining about a race you clearly have a hard-on for. Not too smart imo.

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2009 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

uzkulak wrote:
People take bashy teams in BB because they cant get games with those races in ranked. That's the issue. If it was easier to get a games with dwarves in ranked then fewer people weould take them in BB. If you want to "cure" the bashiness of box, then fix the attitude of ranked players.

QFT

Although there's no fixing the attitude towards coaches in R dodging most even/tough games.

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2009 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

The good news is, the bashy races (Orc, Dwarf, Khemri) tend to race to 200TR and get stuck there. The other races Elves, Rats, Humans, Necro etc... seem to get battered often enough that they stay at 140-180 TR.

The net effect is, after a short build up, the bashy races are at a high enough TS where they only play each other, whilst the races that get their wings clipped semi-regularly have quite a varied schedule.

So, in a manner alot of the issue seems to resolve itself, although this is naturally not true for all cases.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2009 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

The other thing is, Orcs are no overpowered in one off games, they are overpowered in Leagues, where their ability to soak up damage over a long schedule of games will give them an advantage in the long run.

I do tend to hate playing Dwarves though, because the team and tactics of the opponent are ... always ... so ... mind ... numbingly ... boring!
Pirog

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2009 - 17:07 Reply with quote Back to top

uzkulak,

Yeah, that's a very good point. I think its the main reason for me chosing khemri and ogres in B. I would never get matches in R with my khemri team, despite fouling way below the B or R average with that team.

Then again, it's hard to find any fair games at all in R nowdays. I got turned down with my useless norse team the other day. They don't even have dp's...
Calcium

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2009 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Pirog wrote:
I would never get matches in R with my khemri team, despite fouling way below the B or R average with that team.

I'd play your Khemri in a heartbeat! Twisted Evil