28 coaches online • Server time: 01:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Does racial diversity legitimize harder matches for Orcs/Dwarfs?
Sure! Hardly anyone likes to play against these all too often- let them bleed!
23%
 23%  [ 28 ]
Nah- they are too many but an unfair match doesn't improve anything.
51%
 51%  [ 61 ]
Hey dude- you just try to make life harder for my one and only B-Team- forget it!
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
However. Pie?
22%
 22%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 119

uzkulak

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2009 - 11:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, the other factor is that coaches in an absolutely competitive environment will almost always chose to play teams that are easier to win with. Or at lest dont have an apparent disadvantage. So true racial diversity will always remain very difficult to achieve while the races remain unequal in ability or staying power. A "problem" that will likely never be fixed.

Having said all that, I would say teams such as Ogres, Halflings and Goblins do tend to get lots of matches against recovering teams due to the TS ratings. And 15/16 of anything against 10/11 of anything else makes winning considerably easier than it would be otherwise, especially if you keep under about 160tr. So, yes, you can manipulate the system a bit and still have a good record with weaker teams. If you dont believe me, just check out this retired team from an average coach: http://www.fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&showstats=1&team_id=575079
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2009 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

thedevil wrote:
But because there is such a discrepancy in the numbers say orc vs vamps something needs to happen to make the box more interesting.

I would have to disagree. Fluffwise, humans and orcs should be the most played races, there's nothing wrong with the current orc/vamp ratio of 10/1.

The low attraction to humans has to do with their badly designed roster and is not related to TR/TS/TV/CR/whatever.
treborius

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2009 - 12:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:

I've heard three ideas now:
Manipulate fair matchups based on :
1. Bashyness of race (maybe team)
2. Success of the coach (maybe team)
3. Rarity of race

The third idea seems to be the most idealistic to me.

by idealistic i understand you mean desirable or did i get it wrong?
EDIT: if so, i agree Razz

Wreckage wrote:

But I'd like to adress another issue that came up in my mind a while ago:
The races on the list of racial diversity on the blackbox page do not necessarily represent the races that are actually played. Everyone can make an Orc team and then use his skaven. Or you could make a skaven team and never use it.

A better approach would be to just count the played games and what races played them rather then just counting the teams.

i agree and that's why i have proposed something that only measures the race's popularity based on the amount of games played over the last 10 days or some similar time-frame.
that way, any advantages of races based on their popularity would vanish quickly after people started playing those races more, i.e. their would be no threat of over-compensation Smile

EDIT2: of course to make it work you would also have to give coaches an indication of how much the individual races have been played over the past 10 days - or even better what the current benefit was from playing those races Wink

Last edited by treborius on %b %19, %2009 - %13:%Dec; edited 2 times in total
treborius

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2009 - 12:37 Reply with quote Back to top

uzkulak wrote:
Well, the other factor is that coaches in an absolutely competitive environment will almost always chose to play teams that are easier to win with. Or at lest dont have an apparent disadvantage.

i agree

EDIT: and i would extend that statement to: coaches will almost always choose to play teams that are easier to win with and are more durable

uzkulak wrote:
So true racial diversity will always remain very difficult to achieve while the races remain unequal in ability or staying power.

i disagree

if you give those teams an edge (in match-up-creation) that are underrepresented (in terms of actual games played over a certain time-frame in the past), you should be able to at least get closer to an equilibrium between races / winning-ability and durability

uzkulak wrote:
A "problem" that will likely never be fixed.

possibly, but i guess that mainly depends on how willing we are to change things and how likely it is that provided he liked the idea big C would change the current Box-system Wink
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2009 - 02:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Just see this representative sample of races played against.

So much for racial "diversity" in the box. I for one know which race has to see the axe! Evil or Very Mad
treborius

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2009 - 03:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankenstein wrote:
Just see this representative sample of races played against.

So much for racial "diversity" in the box. I for one know which race has to see the axe! Evil or Very Mad

lol, at <100 TS it'll always be 80% flings, ogres, vamps and beaten up elf
 Jump to: