56 coaches online • Server time: 18:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Getting diced 3 game...goto Post 7s for fummbl?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
BLACK SMACK
Love it!
34%
 34%  [ 16 ]
Hate it!
30%
 30%  [ 14 ]
Pie/McCavity/RNGbroken/Turn8foul/Stalling/Adminshateme/etc
34%
 34%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 46

Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2010 - 18:59 Reply with quote Back to top

OK, I prefer to blackbox, SMACKs are clearly my favourite official tournament and I strongly dislike team-pimping (which is more or less required for [R]-SMACKs, where you usually should get rid of MNGs and max out your TR).

What to do? Ah, just join a Blackbox SMACK, easy.

Erm, wait, there is no Blackbox SMACK!

Nevertheless, it might be feasible to implement them easily:

FUMBBL BLACK SMACK:

General Draft:

1) Scheduled, start once a week (like their Ranked brethren).

2) Each coach may apply with multiple teams (in order to minimize administrational efforts and facilitate things in general, all TR-differences between applying teams of a coach must be 25 or higher).

3) Applying teams are sorted by TR.

4) From top to bottom, build tournament groups of 8 teams each as long as the highest TR-difference within the group does not exceed 24 points. If it would exceed 24 TR, discard the team with the highest TR and check again whether a valid group can be created with the new top 8 teams.

5) If less than 8 applicants are left, the remaining teams are discarded.

5) SMACK!

Everything else would be handled exactly like scheduled SMACKs in [R] (unless something crucial is amiss, please mention the problem in this thread, please).

Edit: Removed the following 3 rules/options: (thx Riyssiej)

- Only one of team of an applying coach may have a TR beyond 200

- If only teams with a TR below 120 are left in the pool, no further SMACKs are launched (i.e. you can only start a SMACK if one team has TR of at least 120)

- If all teams in a group have a TR beyond 200, the TR difference of them is irrelevant

These 3 points were merely meant to mirror rules for Ranked SMACKs.

Last edited by Frankenstein on %b %10, %2010 - %23:%Jan; edited 13 times in total
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2010 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I still don't see the point of tournaments in [B]. But I'm sure that there are people who will like this idea. Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2010 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I really like the general outline but I don't see the point of the special rules. I think also teams above TR200 shouldn't be paired with teams that are more than 24 TR away from them and there is no problem starting with teams that are all below TR120 as the power gaming that happened with the ranked rookie smacks isn't possible in this format (those pimped TR100 teams might be in a tourney with TR124 teams).

So overall I like to see a tourney like this implemented in B without the special rules.
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2010 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Rijssiej wrote:
I really like the general outline but I don't see the point of the special rules. I think also teams above TR200 shouldn't be paired with teams that are more than 24 TR away from them and there is no problem starting with teams that are all below TR120 as the power gaming that happened with the ranked rookie smacks isn't possible in this format (those pimped TR100 teams might be in a tourney with TR124 teams).

So overall I like to see a tourney like this implemented in B without the special rules.

OK.

Both rules were only meant to mirror [R]-SMACKs anyway and could be discarded easily.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2010 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Rijssiej wrote:
I think also teams above TR200 shouldn't be paired with teams that are more than 24 TR away from them and there is no problem starting with teams that are all below TR120 as the power gaming that happened with the ranked rookie smacks isn't possible in this format (those pimped TR100 teams might be in a tourney with TR124 teams).

What Rij said
Raasted

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2010 - 21:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Yay Box tournament! Wink
(however way the rules end up being)
Calthor

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2010 - 21:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Hope it happens. Smile
Timlagor

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2010 - 02:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Will it bring more players to the box?
Will they play normal Box games?

I like the 'turn up and play' aspect of the box and wouldn't want to see more activations being sucked away by scheduled games.

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2010 - 03:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Isn't B just one big SMACK?
Tathar

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2010 - 03:59 Reply with quote Back to top

With it being BB shouldn't you sort it by modified TS? Otherwise you get the option to choose BB scheduled smack if your TS/TR ratio is high and play normal BB if it is low. This might screw with your general rule 2. But I'm not sure why the need for that, If a coach has several teams that could fall into a group of 8 then the team then you could specify that the one selected would be random or the one with the closet modified TS to the group mean.

Also if there is the +1F prize I can see it detracting from the main BB draw (albeit if only as a scheduled smack option, it would be only once per week). But it could create a disparity in the TR of teams that smack and teams that don't in [B] majors/minors (especially if qualification into some of these tournaments will be based on FF).
PainState

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2010 - 06:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:

Seconded....I thought that was the point of the box...dont get to choose your opponet, can hire stars, wizards, load up on DP's and make CL/RSC players until your hearts content and never have any remorse or problems finding matches...You know, one big SMACK every time you hit the box.

to follow the logic from a previous post about mirroring Ranked. If you did the above in Ranked the only way to get a match would be to play in Smacks or tournies.

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2010 - 06:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Timlagor wrote:

I like the 'turn up and play' aspect of the box and wouldn't want to see more activations being sucked away by scheduled games.

Now this is a very intersting point. I dont play in the Box not because I dont like it but rather around 10 PM CST you are lucky to find 3 coaches even in the box to play. I stoped even trying about 5 months ago due to lack of opponeets.

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2010 - 07:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I think tournaments in Black Box are great, sometimes you want to show off your team, and try to be the king of the hill. But I think the current scheduled [B] tournaments (a major every fourth month, and minors in the rest) are enough. Beyond that will just affect activity level of black box in general.

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2010 - 15:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Timlagor wrote:

Well, on the other hand:

How many players do not play box (or play less box as they'd do otherwise), because such tournament options are missing?

Woodstock wrote:

There is a huge difference between casual one-off games and tournaments.
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2010 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

What else is different besides the +FF as prize and the title on your profile?

Nothing. You still play to win, and everything is allowed. No difference at all.

Edit: In fact B is even better as you can not make tactical decisions based on your next opponent.
 Jump to: