52 coaches online • Server time: 17:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Getting diced 3 game...goto Post 7s for fummbl?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2010 - 12:57 Reply with quote Back to top

The new system with 15min draws is now in place for over a month and I rarely see more than 4 matches scheduled per round.

According to the statistics, the number of matches has not increased that much. So I wonder if the data for the mean matchup siutablitiy and the standard deviation for the mean is available for evaluation?
Wotfudboy

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2010 - 13:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I for one am more likely to hang around in chat for the next draw if I missed/failed to get a game in the last draw... Half an hour meant I used to log off, or go do something else...

I don't know what other people find...
Nachtogen

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2010 - 13:14 Reply with quote Back to top

It seems to me, that with intervals of 30 mins, people applied more in groups.
Now, with the interval of 15 mins, it seems that a lot of the time no matches are scheduled, due to not enough teams.

But maybe that's just me, not as much on Irc as I used to be.

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2010 - 13:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I find I often dont get scheduled due to insufficient nubers under the new 15 min system but am more inclined to wait for the next round as its only 15 mins so in effect waiting 30 mins max with the potential to wait 15. Would be interesting to see the quality of matchups
maysrill

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2010 - 13:41 Reply with quote Back to top

30 min was too long to wait for a draw if you missed one. I'd either head to Ranked or log off. For 15 minutes, I'll surf a bit and hang out until the next draw, especially if it was 3 players or 4 and not enough match-ups.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2010 - 14:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I am not sure the number of games played is really all that relevant.

The question is, what is the drop in matchup quality that has been given up, in return for more regular draws?

If the average quality was 960 at 30, but is now 955 at 15, then this is worth the hit to reduce people's waiting time.

If however the average quality has dropped from 960 to 810, then obviously the new level of matches is not really viable.

So, has anyone got any data for the average quality before and after the change?
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2010 - 14:54 Reply with quote Back to top

As far as I understand this post, the change towards 15min draws was made to increase the number of matches.

And I made this thread to ask Christer for the data on the matchups, so that there can be discussion or a decision on his part.

I would also suggest, that the average quality isn`t the only important criteria. The variation from the mean is also a factor in my point of view, because I rather have multiple nice matchups, than two perfect and two horrible ones.
Stinkytroll

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2010 - 14:59 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
because I rather have multiple nice matchups, than two perfect and two horrible ones.

I can agree with this but are those 2 cases not the same?

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2010 - 15:03 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
As far as I understand this post, the change towards 15min draws was made to increase the number of matches.

And I made this thread to ask Christer for the data on the matchups, so that there can be discussion or a decision on his part.

I would also suggest, that the average quality isn`t the only important criteria. The variation from the mean is also a factor in my point of view, because I rather have multiple nice matchups, than two perfect and two horrible ones.

I understand that, but what I am saying is, even if the number of games hasn't increased, there has been some benefit for people who are stuck for time.

I am also interested in seeing the data you have asked for, but I suspect the average quality will be the crucial data, as the variations will exist in any system, but the average should point towards how much of an effect they are having.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2010 - 15:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Stinkytroll wrote:
CircularLogic wrote:
because I rather have multiple nice matchups, than two perfect and two horrible ones.

I can agree with this but are those 2 cases not the same?

Not really, if there was 2 970 matches and 15 minutes later 2 750 match, it's possible, that if all took place on the 30 minute mark, there could have been 4 940 matches.
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2010 - 00:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Add me to the "I don't mind waiting 15 minutes but if its 30 I'm grokking something else" list. I'd rather play a "lower mathematical quality" game after 10 then I would a better one after 25.

I can burn 10 minutes in chat with dick and fart jokes, but by minute 17 I'm so bored I'd stab a nun to death with a blunt tent peg.

That's what I call the little fellah.

Last edited by BunnyPuncher on %b %18, %2010 - %05:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
pythrr

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2010 - 00:56 Reply with quote Back to top

15 mins rocks

my 2 c.

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2010 - 04:59 Reply with quote Back to top

15 mins. No debate.

"I hear that shadow is a douchebag"
-Mr Foulscumm
screech

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2010 - 05:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I like 15 min intervals.
I think it helps in the off hours for us North American coaches to get a game.
I haven't notice any drop in quality of games,
but then again I play mostly necros, so I always get cruddy matchups due to their borked ts formula.

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2010 - 07:02 Reply with quote Back to top

15 minutes all the way.

Even though I currently don't have time to play.
 Jump to: