28 coaches online • Server time: 09:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Christer

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 16:49
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

If you guys haven't noticed, there is a page on the site which displays all the icons used for the LRB 6 teams:

https://fumbbl.com/p/icons

I figure it's a good overview of things Smile
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalimar is with me, I WIN! Very Happy
Christer

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 16:51
FUMBBL Staff

MattDakka wrote:
I would like mutated goblins ONLY if the client matched them properly to the chosen mutation

I'd be happy to do this, but I suspect it'd be a LOT of work.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Christer.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 17:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
MattDakka wrote:
I would like mutated goblins ONLY if the client matched them properly to the chosen mutation

I'd be happy to do this, but I suspect it'd be a LOT of work.

I see, and what about allowing the coaches to select the proper icon manually?
This would save the need to implement a client's automatic function.
I explain: when a player takes a mutation the coach assigns a suited icon chosen from a pool of sprites (each icon has a ID, so the coach could check from the icons page the right icon and use its ID and store it in the roster page with a button or whatever, then when the client checks the roster it would use the right icon).
No clue if it can be technically possible, though.
f_alk

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 17:15 Reply with quote Back to top

regarding the positionals ...

I (still) think it would be nice to get at least a second icon when it comes to positionals that come as four or even more on a team.
The problem of course is that one needs to make up a system to distinguish one position from the other (the raised arm of the Catchers comes to mind here).

For the DEs, I think one solution could be: closed helmet - Blitzer, visible face - others. So then you can at least work a bit with the shoulder pads.
Christer

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 17:16
FUMBBL Staff

Kalimar wrote:
In general I see diversity within a single playertype as something that's not very helpful in play.

I absolutely agree with this, as it's tangential to one of the greatest problems I have with the client.

The thing is that the icons, while beautifully made, are in certain cases too similar to eachother as it is.

I'm personally playing the game with the abstract icon set because it's simply too hard for me to distinguish the different types of players on certain teams. My primary screen (2560x1440@27") is 108PPI and because of the size positioned a bit further away than a smaller screen would be. For example, a standard 24" screen (1920x1200@24") is 94PPI which would normally be closer to your eyes. My estimate is that the client appears roughly 20% smaller on my large screen because of the higher PPI and the positioning of the screen further from the eyes.

This results in a very high amount of strain on the eyes to distinguish the positions on certain teams (elves, norse, zons, dwarfs.. basically any race that has similar positional icons). The thing here is that I'm not really complaining just to be annoying, and the abstract set solves the problem for me. It would, however, be lovely to be able to use the icons. Even a straight-up pixel doubling would allow me to use the icons, although it'd look a bit choppy.

It's a bit sad to be stuck with the abstract set and not being able to enjoy the artwork of the icons. It's an absolutely huge amount of work behind these icons but I just can't play the game properly with them.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 18:05 Reply with quote Back to top

A few points:

Having mutated icons for mutated players would be great. Of course I don't know the work on your (Christer's) side, however on the icon making side it would be mixed.

Claw for example would be very easy. 5 minute job per icons set.

Some of the others, would be more tricky.

On more than 1 positional icon per race, I guess that could eventually be done, I get the feeling whatball wants to change a few though. I did see recently a picture of that had a 2nd human blitzer in it. The picture was from NK, no idea why he didn't include it in the pack.

As for screen resolution. With the client the size it is, I think it would be impossible to make the icons show on a screen like what Christer uses. Also won't we have the same problem in the future? I'm guessing screens will have an even higher resolution in 5 to 10 years time.

Doubling up lines, I don't think would work. Certainly they wouldn't be as pretty as they are now, and would require a total revamp of the way we work on them. The outside line is possible maybe, but noses, mouths (anything on the head) wouldn't (not with the current icons) and lines that differentiate one part from another also.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2012 - 04:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Six new Underworld Goblins (based on the Squig Herders):

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Works for everyone? Comments?
Sigmar1

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2012 - 05:43 Reply with quote Back to top

The entire model (skin and robes) needs to be a shade or two darker imo. I know you're all about shading and whatnot, but UW Gobs should be DARK. Shading is still possible (look at Gong for example) even with a very dark palette (blacks and dark greys vs. blacks and browns).

And there seems to be some very slight difference on the feet between models 1 and 5, but not enough to make them seem like different icons at a casual glance (although on 2nd look I see there is some variation in the face as well).

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2012 - 10:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Sigmar1 wrote:
The entire model (skin and robes) needs to be a shade or two darker imo. I know you're all about shading and whatnot, but UW Gobs should be DARK.

This was my thought as well. The underworld goblins are also based off of Warhammer nightgoblins. Their hoods are quite distinctive. 2,3 and 4 I feel don't make me think of night goblins.
Aflo

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2012 - 10:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Indeedy, pointy hoods is what they need I think. Contrary to a previous poster I don't know if night goblins have a particularly dark skin tone, in fact it rings a bell more that they are especially pale compared to their over-ground dwelling cousins as they never see the sun. Seperates them from the other types of greenskin in the client that way too (goblins the colour of black orcs? Preposterous!).
Qaz

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2012 - 11:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
Kalimar wrote:
In general I see diversity within a single playertype as something that's not very helpful in play.

I absolutely agree with this, as it's tangential to one of the greatest problems I have with the client.

The thing is that the icons, while beautifully made, are in certain cases too similar to eachother as it is.

I'm personally playing the game with the abstract icon set because it's simply too hard for me to distinguish the different types of players on certain teams. My primary screen (2560x1440@27") is 108PPI and because of the size positioned a bit further away than a smaller screen would be. For example, a standard 24" screen (1920x1200@24") is 94PPI which would normally be closer to your eyes. My estimate is that the client appears roughly 20% smaller on my large screen because of the higher PPI and the positioning of the screen further from the eyes.

This results in a very high amount of strain on the eyes to distinguish the positions on certain teams (elves, norse, zons, dwarfs.. basically any race that has similar positional icons). The thing here is that I'm not really complaining just to be annoying, and the abstract set solves the problem for me. It would, however, be lovely to be able to use the icons. Even a straight-up pixel doubling would allow me to use the icons, although it'd look a bit choppy.

It's a bit sad to be stuck with the abstract set and not being able to enjoy the artwork of the icons. It's an absolutely huge amount of work behind these icons but I just can't play the game properly with them.

The answer you are looking for is LARGE FIELD! Wink

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
darkwing2k6

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2012 - 11:50 Reply with quote Back to top

ok so i was thinking to myself that if/when we get large or scaleable client that we would need to do something with the icons so i did a quick google on converting sprites to vectors and found this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRp7F_pCUn4.

would this work? would everyone be happy with this?
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2012 - 11:57 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=22159&highlight=icons
 Jump to: