28 coaches online • Server time: 11:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
phillier

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2004 - 16:58 Reply with quote Back to top

They have been a lot of complaints about coaches cherry picking games, the randomness of the dice, etc....Fumbbl has always been a site that wants to follow BloodBowl as closely as possible to how it was meant to be played. The cards are part of the game to add an additional unpredictable nature to the game. I remember back in the day I would play anyone of any tr cause there was no telling what cards you might get that could sway the match. There was no point in cherry picking games so that your team was clearly better in the matchup with a particular team because 1 card could change it all. I just think that they help in gameplay and add another angle of randomness and unpredictabilty that makes BloodBowl the crazy game it was meant to be. Pit Traps, wild dogs stealing the ball, magic helmets.....we need 'em. Lets bring in the cards.
Aequitas

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2004 - 17:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Ugh. No, not the cards. I understand your point Phillier from an underdog's position, and to keep people from just playing people beneath them in TR/ST, but there are some of us that hate them for good reason.

There is nothing worse then playing an opponent of close TR but end up losing because of the damn cards. I hated those stupid cards from Deathzone, mostly because of Is it a Touchdown, Pit Trap and whatever other stupid touchdown interfering cards there were. That's the main problem, losing a well earned touchdown due to a card, not strategy. In fact not even bothering to chase the ball carrier and just nailing him when he's a square away.

I hope Skijunkie never implements them, or I'm likely going to stop playing here and instead find some small league that plays without them. I can deal with the handicap system but with cards it's just too much.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2004 - 17:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Both SkiJunkie and Christer have (since the beginning) clearly stated that the respective goals of their projects was to follow the LRB as closely as possible. Deathzone has been replaced by the LRB.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2004 - 17:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Thats the point Aequitas...its a silly, unpredictable game that is just as likely to be decided by something out of a coaches hands as it is to be decided by good play...your playing a game that is ultimatly decided by random dice rolls so I say lets add more randomness
Logan

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2004 - 01:42 Reply with quote Back to top

phillier wrote:
Thats the point Aequitas...its a silly, unpredictable game that is just as likely to be decided by something out of a coaches hands as it is to be decided by good play...your playing a game that is ultimatly decided by random dice rolls so I say lets add more randomness
True the game is decided by dice rolls, but you have a choice in those dice rolls. When you make a move you calculate the risk and take your chances. This is why some players are better than others. They have learned to make risks and avoid unnecessary ones. The handicap table may not be perfect but the cards certainly aren't either. The big advantage of the table for a coach is he knows his problems from the start and has a chance to change tactics to counteract the handicap, it may not work but he can try. This in contrast to doing the work and then finding out your brilliance was in vain.
I may not be a great coach (just look at my match record:D) but I do know that the game isn't completly random after all what would be the point in playing if it was? The game is one of strategy and the ability of a coach should be reflected in a brilliance of the coaches response to the starting conditions as altered by the handicap table not the randomness of a couple of cards where they have no chance to anticipate and counter a problem.

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2004 - 02:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Both SkiJunkie and Christer have (since the beginning) clearly stated that the respective goals of their projects was to follow the LRB as closely as possible. Deathzone has been replaced by the LRB.

While i enjoyed the cards immensely before, i do feel that the game can do without them now. Handicap rolls are pretty unpredictable as is, and they can cause much chaos. As you can see in this match http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=215919 they can be horribly devastating too.

I think that most coaches only want the cards for the Magic Helmet and the extra apoth possibilities. But then again who am i, and i could be horribly wrong.

If there are going to be more changes made to javabloodbowl, i think SkiJunkie will probably do what he thinks is best, and it usually works out great.

So, I say Thank you to SkiJunkie and Christer for bringing us this great (and FREE!!!) opportunity to waste our free time, and enjoy ourselves immensely.

Hmm....i think i got off the topic... /shrug
Very Happy
Aequitas

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2004 - 02:33 Reply with quote Back to top

BadMrMojo wrote:

Yarr, I know. That's why I'm hoping Skijunkie is too bogged down on fixing bugs, adding in new features, etc and cannot find the time to implement the stupid cards (or special plays, whatever the things are called now). Thus far, it looks good, but you never know..
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2004 - 05:03 Reply with quote Back to top

He was saying the cards won't be implemented because they aren't a part of teh lrb anymore. So you can relax because the odds of them ever coming back in as lrb official are slim to nill.

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2004 - 11:00 Reply with quote Back to top

phillier wrote:

Diceroll are better than degrading BB to a cardgame.
Mully

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2004 - 15:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Logan wrote
Quote:

True the game is decided by dice rolls, but you have a choice in those dice rolls. When you make a move you calculate the risk and take your chances. This is why some players are better than others. They have learned to make risks and avoid unnecessary ones.

Played vs Woodies Sunday - 1st kickoff 6 man PI - 1 SI, 3 KO, 2 stunned - after 2 turns 1-0 elves

2nd Kickoff - Blitz, Wardancer catches ball in air - after 3 turns 2-0 elves.
3rd Kick-off - Blitz - after 4 turns 3-0 elves.

Now explain to me how my choices and calculated risks could have cost me the game ....

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2004 - 15:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Thay'd be fun to have as an option...but never for serious games.

I still seem to be the only one who favours a "snake eyes on an armour roll triggers a wacky event" table

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2004 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Cards make teh games more fun and why GW replaced them with that LRB Handicap list was bec it would have cost to much for them to copy all cards again, and making money is what gw is best on i know this bec i worked with em .

I mean COMON u gotta admit getting love potion card sure made a game more fun hehe.
Thadrin

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2004 - 15:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Some of the cards were fun. Some could cost you a game....and that's wrong.

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2004 - 17:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Several complaints about high tr were specifically that games were solely decided on who rolled the least amount of double ones because so many reroll skills were present. The cards add another way to fail. And by the way there is strategy to using the cards. I am not actively persuing the implementation of them btw I just thought they made the game more fun. I think if you are concerned that your skilled play and strategic manuevering would be compromised by silly cards then you take this game too seriously. I perceive that many people take this game too seriously as evidenced by the swearing and "disconnections".
MixX

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2004 - 17:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Thadrin wrote:
Some of the cards were fun. Some could cost you a game....and that's wrong.

I agree. But then so can losing a Field Invasion, or your opponent getting "Blitz!"..
 Jump to: