37 coaches online • Server time: 14:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which blockdice do you prefer
Classic old blockdice
55%
 55%  [ 79 ]
New design
19%
 19%  [ 28 ]
Don't care
25%
 25%  [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 143

Ravenmore

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2010 - 20:47 Reply with quote Back to top

After I got used to the new design, to my own surprise I realized that I like it far more than the original GW dice.

Even the X's.

...in fact - especially the X's!

Nighteye

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2010 - 04:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm Well I gotta admit the Xs are my problem.

the term doubleskulls, is an integral part of bloodbowl, one you cannot just dismish and replace. As I mentioned earlier, I dont mind the new dice at all, (cept the push backs which I still think are confusing for no reason, and the red cross. Give me back my skulls. It can be any skuyll design, doesnt have to be the GW skull.

DISCLAIMER: I am extremely druynk right now, this drunk might not make sense, I cant be the judge of that riught now.
princevaliant

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2010 - 04:55 Reply with quote Back to top

You may be drunk, but I must say I agree. Bring back the skull for a 1 please!
Barre

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2010 - 05:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I, and most likely the majority, adapted to the new dice very quickly (once I realised that there are 2 different pushback faces). I don't think there is a NEED for new faces, but certainly would be good to allow customisation for the dice, which I am sure was always going to be a feature.

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2010 - 06:03 Reply with quote Back to top

The new dice are just as easy to use and understand as the old dice were. There is absolutely no reason to change them now. There are several reasons to leave them as they are. Like it or not they are (or they should be) here to stay.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2010 - 08:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree they're pretty naff (no pun intended).

But better that than the legal stuff.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2010 - 08:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I would prefer skulls for attacker down just because of the term 'double skull' or 'skulled out' that has evolved.

On the other hand I like the two different push faces as I often compare different ways to archive the same goal and then it's nice that I can compare block dice and regular dice one to one.
Barre

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2010 - 09:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think people will start saying "*curse word* double crosses" any time soon, despite how they look they will always be double skulls to me.

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2010 - 09:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I understand we need a new set, but I would prefer a set with a bit more bright/dark contrast. Right now we have black dice on dark blue banner (right side) with dark red and blue symbols. Hard to see, if you only want to have a glance at the dice and watch the field. Especially as spectator. And I want larger dice. There is enough place that the very rare third die could be in a second row.

On a second thought, maybe larger dice and the removal of the shining effect would help me.
Barre

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2010 - 11:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I think this would be helped by putting in a plain background for the dice, either a "ye olde banner" like the scores or the player portraits, or a straight plain colour.

You know come to think of it, and this is probably usurping the thread a little, I think the "fluff graphics would be much better served just for the top half of the window, ie. the pitch/dugout area. The lower half of the window could be just high contrast plain colour background, since this is the informational portion of the window I think it's important to be readable above all else. Make it nice still use just flat colours instead of graphics for the background.

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2010 - 14:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Barre wrote:
I, and most likely the majority, adapted to the new dice very quickly (once I realised that there are 2 different pushback faces). I don't think there is a NEED for new faces, but certainly would be good to allow customisation for the dice, which I am sure was always going to be a feature.

Yes.

New dice as standard but allow customisation.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Ravenmore

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2010 - 15:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Nighteye wrote:
the term doubleskulls, is an integral part of bloodbowl

Technically - it's not Blood Bowl anymore. It's fantasy football Twisted Evil .

I love the new set, but a customization option is probably the only way to satisfy everyone. Perhaps allowing to use local dice images? Can't get sued for what your users keep on their computers now, can you? Smile
maznaz

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2010 - 15:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's a bit optimistic to think that having completely different dice would stave off any unwelcome legal attention considering the much more glaring similarities elsewhere in the client.

That said, however, let's get the bugs fixed and the client working before worrying about cosmetics. There's already been way too much of that.
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2010 - 16:28 Reply with quote Back to top

maznaz wrote:
I think it's a bit optimistic to think that having completely different dice would stave off any unwelcome legal attention considering the much more glaring similarities elsewhere in the client.

Which part of the client do you think infringes on Grandma Wendy's copyright? Bear in mind that the actual rules of BB can't be copyrighted. Someone mentioned in an earlier thread that the pitch is a distinctive enough shape to be copyrighted, but I don't know if that's true.
Were_M_Eye

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2010 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

RandomOracle wrote:
maznaz wrote:

Which part of the client do you think infringes on Grandma Wendy's copyright? Bear in mind that the actual rules of BB can't be copyrighted. Someone mentioned in an earlier thread that the pitch is a distinctive enough shape to be copyrighted, but I don't know if that's true.

If you can copyright a certain number of squares on a flatt surface i would sneak and get a copyright on a surface with 8x8 squares.
 Jump to: