47 coaches online • Server time: 12:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which blockdice do you prefer
Classic old blockdice
55%
 55%  [ 79 ]
New design
19%
 19%  [ 28 ]
Don't care
25%
 25%  [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 143

RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2010 - 16:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Were_M_Eye wrote:

If you can copyright a certain number of squares on a flatt surface i would sneak and get a copyright on a surface with 8x8 squares.

Well, the argument was that the wide zones make it distinctive.
Ballcrusher

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2010 - 17:12 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:

New dice as standard but allow customisation.

i agree with sillysod. Its just dice so get the client working first and then afterwards begin on customizing and polishing detail.

And i dont think anyone will sue you if you still say double skull even though there now are a doublecross (not even GW although i'm not sure)...
Hero164

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2010 - 17:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Got to say i love the client other than the dice. The two types of push are unecessary and the Pow/pushback looks especially confusing for new players. I also have nostalgia for the skull.

Several people have said well I assume the majority will like them but the poll says otherwise. Having said that the only opinon that matters is Kalimars and Id rather have the client with these dice than no client.

Just my two cents.

Stella for President!!

Need a new challenge? Here's all the challenge you will ever need.

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=19352
maznaz

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2010 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

RandomOracle wrote:

Which part of the client do you think infringes on Grandma Wendy's copyright? Bear in mind that the actual rules of BB can't be copyrighted. Someone mentioned in an earlier thread that the pitch is a distinctive enough shape to be copyrighted, but I don't know if that's true.

All of the teams and star players. Game rules specifically can't be considered to be copyright but it would be relatively easy to demonstrate that certain aspects of copyright material were used in the client, such as the aforementioned teams and players, and injury tables, kick off tables etc.

The only thing that can be safely sidestepped in this client's development is trademark infringement, which I believe is being avoided very comprehensively.

Edit: Skaven and Khemri are both trademarks of GW.
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2010 - 18:05 Reply with quote Back to top

maznaz wrote:
RandomOracle wrote:

Which part of the client do you think infringes on Grandma Wendy's copyright? Bear in mind that the actual rules of BB can't be copyrighted. Someone mentioned in an earlier thread that the pitch is a distinctive enough shape to be copyrighted, but I don't know if that's true.

All of the teams and star players. Game rules specifically can't be considered to be copyright but it would be relatively easy to demonstrate that certain aspects of copyright material were used in the client, such as the aforementioned teams and players, and injury tables, kick off tables etc.

The only thing that can be safely sidestepped in this client's development is trademark infringement, which I believe is being avoided very comprehensively.

Edit: Skaven and Khemri are both trademarks of GW.

Good point. I wonder how far renaming teams, players, kick off tables, and other GW material would take us?
ryanfitz

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2010 - 02:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Just some different dice options along the 1-2-3-4-5-6 lines that are being used in the client with more traditional imagry.
I really like the 6 star POW being used now in the client, so i only mocked up 1-5
(personally i feel like nuffle is laughing when i play so i put a laughing skull in) Very Happy

Image Image Image Image Image
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2010 - 02:50 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
last i checked..it was GW threatening legal action....not impact

not that i'm saying we should rip off impact, by any means....

but there's no reason to go back and give GW a reason to shut the place down.....

good bye GW dice...get over it....

--j

So does this mean we will be stuck with those ugly dice that are currently in the client?

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2010 - 03:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Rawlf wrote:
I never understood the old pow and exclamation mark for defender stumbles. It gives the impression of something better than pow, but it clearly isn't. A pow and question mark might have made sense. So a new dice design was unavoidable anyway from my point of view. Wink

I always thought of the ' ! ' meaning that the attacker is surprised because the defender is still standing.
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2010 - 11:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Just use the Impact dice then, as they have skulls?
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2010 - 11:31 Reply with quote Back to top

The Impact dice are even worse. They are the single most hideous attempt at dice I've ever seen.

I insist they aren't used on TT, they offend my eyes so.
GalakStarscraper

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2010 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
The Impact dice are even worse. They are the single most hideous attempt at dice I've ever seen.

We have new dice we are getting from a company making them in Europe to add to our store. I already checked and if you wanted to use those when they come into the store ... I promise to not send Christer any legal letters. I already checked with the other company and you'd be fine to use them (if desired).

Probably another 3 weeks before they hit the store.

Galak
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2010 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:

Ummm... OK....

/me backs away slowly

Laughing
PhrollikK

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2010 - 18:35 Reply with quote Back to top

What do they look like? Cool

Loraxwolfsbane

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2010 - 21:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I would say, have an option to what dice you want to use.. It can't be that hard to change the images just like you would for the player icons
SillySod

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2010 - 21:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Ghastly Razz

Loraxwolfsbane wrote:
I would say, have an option to what dice you want to use.. It can't be that hard to change the images just like you would for the player icons

I think they are planning to store player icons on the site. Obviously they couldnt store GW-ish dice images on the site so they would have to implement dice as a locally accessed file.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
 Jump to: