36 coaches online • Server time: 12:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Updated star player ...goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
pizzamogul

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2010 - 17:29 Reply with quote Back to top

This is all a terrible thread derail that is getting us further away from having the vuvuzela sound added to the new client.

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2010 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

God no.
I had such a headache after Italy-Paraguay...

...on a second thought, that might have been Italy's play giving headache.
Meh.

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2010 - 19:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I think we should have multiple vuvuzela sounds to choose from.

JanMattys wrote:
On the other hand, I'd be pissed if my opponent changed plans because 70+ specs told him to.
Spectators are there for their own amusement, but they shouldn't have an impact on the game. Ever.

Spectators -always- cheer for fouls. They are going to do this regardless of the tactical or strategic implications. Hence, their cheers are nothing to do with tactics.

To be honest I'm not quite sure who would want to take tactical advice from spectators anyway... its hardly high quality stuff. Even on the rare occasion that you might benefit from listening to the crowd it would be impossible for them to advise you beyond "foul" "foul" "foul". If that level of communication and tactical reasoning actually improves your opponents play then they are pretty crap. If you arent beating them then you dont deserve to.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."

Last edited by SillySod on %b %15, %2010 - %19:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
Calthor

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2010 - 19:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I would love to have more sounds, like the cricket sound, an 'awww, so close'...

And, I'd like to have an insane hysterical laugh. "Muahahaha..."
KingKlutz

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2010 - 19:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Definitely no 'boring' that would not be good.
'Laugh' is great.
Also, keep a reasonable time limit between noises, or sadly some people will abuse speccing.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2010 - 19:42 Reply with quote Back to top

KingKlutz wrote:
Also, keep a reasonable time limit between noises, or sadly some people will abuse speccing.

There is currently a delay in the new client. I have tried to cheer (or boo) repeatedly and there is a lengthy gap from when you make a noise until you can make another one.

/vuvuzela
<select>
<copy>
<paste>
/vuvuzela
/vuvuzela
/vuvuzela
/vuvuzela
/vuvuzela
/vuvuzela
/vuvuzela
/vuvuzela
/vuvuzela
/vuvuzela
/vuvuzela
/vuvuzela
/vuvuzela
/vuvuzela

Mad
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2010 - 19:59 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:

To be honest I'm not quite sure who would want to take tactical advice from spectators anyway

Doesn't make sense. And you know it.

SillySod wrote:

Even on the rare occasion that you might benefit from listening to the crowd it would be impossible for them to advise you beyond "foul" "foul" "foul".

Yeah, pretty much what I think shouldn't happen.

SillySod wrote:

If that level of communication and tactical reasoning actually improves your opponents play then they are pretty crap.

Probably.

SillySod wrote:

If you arent beating them then you dont deserve to.

Doesn't make sense. No, really, the more I read that sentence the more it seems and feels very VERY wrong. Just like the first one. Get off your pedestal.

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2010 - 20:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Hoping your opponent wont foul your St5 AG5 wardancer is roughly on par with hoping for misclicks. Not cool.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2010 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

People will foul with the eye if enough spectators incite them to, even if under normal circumstances they wouldn't. The former truth is ESPECIALLY true if they are not strong and self-confident in their Bloodbowl-fu.

This to me is a good enough reason not to let spectators influence the game.
Hell, there's people around here who play worse just by KNOWING there's people speccing...

EDIT: I removed sarcasm. I'm just tired and still (technically) at work, so I'm grumpty. Sorry SillySod. Still, I think my point makes sense while yours doesn't.

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2010 - 20:36 Reply with quote Back to top

The biggest potential for abuse would be the early rounds of majors. Why?

1. People watch majors, lots of people.

2. People watch casual games with good coaches (they are generally more competitive, entertaining, and potentially instructive)

3. People mostly ignore games with poor coaches.

4. The exception to #4 is majors.

Most people don't care that SillySod is pounding some noob named maysrill in a lopsided Ranked game that was essentially over by T4. No one is going to bother speccing. That same matchup in a major though, people will flock to watch. Being the noob that he is, maysrill is then overcome by the desire to please the fans when they all chant /hurt after I knock over a ST5/AG5 wardancer. The eye was on him, so it hadn't occurred to him it was probably still worth fouling it, and he fouls for a niggle with apo fail. The crowd goes wild.

I'm just a little incredulous that people are really going to be changing how they play, or that specs will be influencing the outcome of the game. The emotes just aren't helpful enough. Just the fact that people cheer when you hurt stuff is enough positive reinforcement to remember to foul when there are specs. Any decent player is going to ignore the crowd anyway, even if they WERE able to give advice, and it's mostly good players that people want to watch.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2010 - 21:38 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
People will foul with the eye if enough spectators incite them to, even if under normal circumstances they wouldn't. The former truth is ESPECIALLY true if they are not strong and self-confident in their Bloodbowl-fu.

This to me is a good enough reason not to let spectators influence the game.
Hell, there's people around here who play worse just by KNOWING there's people speccing...

EDIT: I removed sarcasm. I'm just tired and still (technically) at work, so I'm grumpty. Sorry SillySod. Still, I think my point makes sense while yours doesn't.

Seconded. I mean lets say I'm speccing the match of 2 teams that play in a tourney and the winner has to play my team. Hell yeah, I'll be spamming that foul and inciting others to do so as well anytime anything remotely valuable goes down. Because if I can start a foulwar between the players, I'm happy regardless of who wins or if it's a good advice.
capnpaco

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2010 - 12:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I second what maysrill said. Spectators can already impart some basic communication with /hurt, /cheer and /boo (foul him! No, don't do that, that's stupid! Yeah, there you go. That's much better!). I'm not sure that /foul, /cricket or /booref really add any new information for the players. Obviously you don't want /cage, /surf or /pass, for example (even though those are precisely the things the players on the field would 'really' hear a Bloodwiser-guzzling orc shout from the stands...).
On1

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2010 - 13:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I think /hurt should be removed... And only /cheer and /boo should be kept!
zakatan

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2010 - 13:16 Reply with quote Back to top

On1 wrote:
I think /hurt should be removed... And only /cheer and /boo should be kept!

/boo!
DatMonsta

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2010 - 13:29 Reply with quote Back to top

hmmm... i think bloodbowl should stay close to the tabletop version... and always when i play a little tourney with some mates i hear 'kill him' or ' foul him' quite often. and i really like to hear that (even if i would never foul on an advice by a spectator... all they want to see is blood). it's an important part of the game and fans in nearly evrey sport give stupid advices from the stands.
so please, give them lots of stupid noises, /cricket, /boot, /booref, /offese, /d-fence...whatever.
spectators are fans, so give them the opportunity to act like fans.
even if some coaches might get affected by a crowd screaming for blood.... they should just turn off the crwodnoises and that's it.
i would love to have a screaming crowd, and i would love them to have more options as /cheer, /boo ans /hurt!

just an opinion of a (not so great and not deep into the majorscene) coach
 Jump to: