60 coaches online • Server time: 22:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
farresto

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2010 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I placed my brand new Skaven Team in the GameFinder:
http://fumbbl.com/teams/First+and+Foremost.html

A coach with a higher TS offered me to play:
http://fumbbl.com/teams/Run+Kill+Run.html

I analyzed the team, and figured it was an equal match, as he only had 7 players and the Treeman is not so dangerous as long as you keep your distance (and maybe with a little luck it takes root).

What both the other coach and I didn't realize was that we had a TS difference of 41, which is +1 from the site's rules unfortunately.

Normally, I would think that a TS difference of 40 is a little bit too much, but now I believe this does not apply to all cases. In this particular case, the final result was 4-3 in my favor. And I wouldn't say I'm an exceptional player Razz

So my question is: Do you think this rule is useful and representative of "fair matches"?

I understand that this was implemented to avoid unstoppable teams cherrypicking and play one-sided games.

But at the same time, it restricts coaches from making their own decisions. In my case, I still believe the match was fair as it was (without even counting the handicaps), and that either of us could have won.

Would it be really dangerous to remove this restriction from the site?

I'd really like to hear other coaches' opinions.

Thanks!
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2010 - 20:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, it would be harmful to the site, and no, finding an opponent within 10TS is not a problem below TR200.
Leijonet

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2010 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

/agree

+/- 40 TS gives you an incredibly wide array of potential opponents. If you can't find an opponent because of this very loose restriction you are doing something wrong.

Leijonet -Winging justice since 6/9-08
farresto

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2010 - 20:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:
Yes, it would be harmful to the site, and no, finding an opponent within 10TS is not a problem below TR200.

Why do you think it would be harmful to the site?

Leijonet wrote:
/agree

+/- 40 TS gives you an incredibly wide array of potential opponents. If you can't find an opponent because of this very loose restriction you are doing something wrong.

I'm not saying I can't find an opponent, I'm saying that this rule might not be as representative as it was originally designed. The restriction might be loose, but it could probably be looser without any harm Smile
bxnyc

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2010 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

farresto- this situation you are in is very much an outlier to the normal +/- 40ts

if you look in the middle (150 tr/ts) then the difference in the power of a team is usually enormous.

even games with +/- 30 ts are normally very one sided if there are no handis
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2010 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

No, it is not a useful and representative of "fair matches".
For most teams 40 TS is far too much to represent a fair match, 10-15 TS diff is the most I would find a fair match.
On the other hand the TS formula is massively flawed for undermanned teams. Like the match you played was a fair match in my book but not within the 40 TS rule.
Arthas85

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2010 - 10:47 Reply with quote Back to top

For example do you think this match (i picked the first match that was finishing) it is fair?

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=3019132
Calthor

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2010 - 10:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Arthas85 wrote:
For example do you think this match (i picked the first match that was finishing) it is fair?

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=3019132

No. It's legal, but fair? No. Purely looking at the teams (not the coaches' CR), the Dwarf team had a big advantage.
TheCount

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2010 - 11:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Imho there should be a decrease of the range to 30 +/- TS and additionally the rule should affect all teams between TR 1 to 249.

There are coaches who cherrypick noobs with 95/83 Goblins by playing their 300/260 KillerChaos. I know these are rare cases, but this would be an easy and good rulechange (at least the 2nd part of my suggestion).
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2010 - 11:35 Reply with quote Back to top

TheCount wrote:
There are coaches who cherrypick noobs with 95/83 Goblins by playing their 300/260 KillerChaos. I know these are rare cases, but this would be an easy and good rulechange (at least the 2nd part of my suggestion).

Link?

I know that teams above a certain TS are exempt and teams below 100TS are also exempt... but I thought that they could not play against each other.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
koadah

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2010 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

TheCount wrote:
Imho there should be a decrease of the range to 30 +/- TS and additionally the rule should affect all teams between TR 1 to 249.

After all this time is it really worth changing now when we'll need different rules for FBB.

Further restrictions will make it tougher to get games in some time zones.

If anything for FBB the limit should be increased to allow hiring Morg.

I don't see the rule doing much to prevent cherry picking though.

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2010 - 12:29 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
TheCount wrote:

After all this time is it really worth changing now when we'll need different rules for FBB.

Further restrictions will make it tougher to get games in some time zones.

If anything for FBB the limit should be increased to allow hiring Morg.

I don't see the rule doing much to prevent cherry picking though.

Rather implement:
After all stars, Babes, apo, wiz and bribes are purchased additional Morgs can be hired for each full 30TV Very Happy
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2010 - 12:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Allthough the exact range (+/-40TS) and the inaccuracy of any strength measurement can be argued against. The restriction is there simply because it's a competitive division. Games with huge strength difference aren't very competitive (even if nuffle can make them look that way).
Blood Bowl itself (if you read the fluff in past rulebooks) doesn't seem to really care about 'fair games'. I seem to remember one instance where a (halfling?) team was mistaken for a pre-game appetizer, and were eaten by there opponent.

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2010 - 13:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I think when we swap over to TV, opening up the range might be fine. Inducements even up games a lot more effectively and consistently than handicaps ever did, though I think there's still a noticeable advantage for the naturally stronger team.

As it stands, even the +/- 40 TS is only fair with 3+ handicaps in most cases.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2010 - 13:14 Reply with quote Back to top

maysrill wrote:
I think when we swap over to TV, opening up the range might be fine. Inducements even up games a lot more effectively and consistently than handicaps ever did, though I think there's still a noticeable advantage for the naturally stronger team.

As it stands, even the +/- 40 TS is only fair with 3+ handicaps in most cases.

Inducements can only go that far.
Something that keeps the cherrypicking wolves in line will probably be needed ayway.
Really, you can't imagine how far can some people go to get unfair games.