67 coaches online • Server time: 22:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Azrahn

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2010 - 14:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure if this is a bug or something wrong with my system. Thought I'd post here first to see if anyone else has the same issue. Any help would be much appreciated.

Operating System:
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, Lucid Lynx, fully updated.

Java Version (Output from: java -version):
java version "1.6.0_20"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 16.3-b01, mixed mode, sharing)

Bug Description:
Whenever I launch the FFB Client I get a blank space at the bottom of the window which hides the re-rolls and apothecaries. When it starts this blank section shows information like "Loading team icons" but then stays blank during the game. There is also an exclamation mark top right of the window which I assume means there is an error but I can't find out how to check what it is.

Garion

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2010 - 15:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Go to java settings in control panel - go to advanced expand security and uncheck the box which says something about displaying a banner in sandbox mode. This works I had the same problem.
This thread has more details on this problem so if you cant follow my instructions Christer has posted some here which work.
http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=17893&start=15

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2010 - 15:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I was wondering about that...I have the same thing with the exclamation mark (win XP), when I hover over it with the cursor it just says "Java Application Window" so I assumed it's just a gimmick to discern between native windows applications and java apps. Hmm...
Azrahn

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2010 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Just tried that and the bar still seems to be there. Will try a restart in a bit and see if that helps.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2010 - 17:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I did it wrong first time so maybe you are doing the same thing, this is the thread I started about this problem. I found that I was unchecking the option in the security mixed code section but it is the option in the security drop down, then in the general section that you need to de-select options that says something about sandbox, I am at work at the moment so cannot check the exact path I took but when I get home I will give you full instuctions.

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=18075&highlight=chat

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2010 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Have unchecked the Security > General > "Show sandbox warning banner" and still no joy. Any other ideas?
Garion

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2010 - 18:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Did you click apply after deselecting it? Have you donwloaded Java 6? try deleting the cache and cookies after deselecting it as well.

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2010 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I have the sun-java6 packages installed. I've hit apply and cleared the temporary internet files. The bar is still there...
Garion

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2010 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm I'm out of ideas then, I will check my java settings and post a screen shot later so you can check to see if all yours match, should be back online about 9pm GMT

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2010 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

That'd be great. Thanks.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2010 - 19:12 Reply with quote Back to top

BTW: nice game you were watching there...
Garion

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2010 - 19:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I have had a look and cannot see anything else that could be causing this, you hvae definately de-selected the correct option, I would probably just uninstall java and re-install it and if that doesn't work I dont know what to do.

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2010 - 19:32 Reply with quote Back to top

From the FFB-FAQ:
Q: Using Linux and the Gnome Desktop a white bar appears at the bottom of the screen, prohibting the use of the chat.
A: This is a known issue with Gnome and the Java JDesktopPane (InternalFrames) in that Gnome renders a toolbar inside the application. The only workaround at the moment is to use a different Desktop (e.g. KDE) or Windowmanager.
Azrahn

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2010 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Tried installing and using KDE as a solution but this box doesn't like it. Looks like I'm stuck being silent in game until some workaround is found.
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2010 - 20:42 Reply with quote Back to top

azrahn, u don't need kde. Any other (small & lightweight) windowmanager will suffice. xfce comes to mind, for instance.
 Jump to: